Make Me Jealous Of Your Weekend

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
This thread is meant to be like the years old thread of "make me jealous of your airport."

That was when I wanted to learn why everyone loved the airport(s) they flew out of.

Now I propose "make me jealous of your weekend."

What totally awesome aviation weekend did you have?

I will start:

My weekend was supposed to be flying a long cross country in a Piper Cub to the annual Piper Cub Fly-in located in Lompoc, CA. This fly-in included a hotel stay (the hotel has views of the runway from your window). It also included flour bombing, formation flying, spot landing contests, off airport (beach) landings and take offs, and much more. Sounded amazing.

I was all set to go until I ended up at a different fly-in / air show. This was because my friends from the 2012 Reno Air Races volunteer crew were in attendance. We needed to discuss if I will work High G Ridge this year.

So off I go for (to date) the best flying weekend of my life.

It begins early (7am) Saturday morning in the SF Bay Area airspace. We depart in a 1946 Vintage Cessna 120 taildragger. 85 hp but what a blast to fly.

We fly a cross country that includes my FIRST ever flying / transition / radio work over class charlie. Reported the Oakland Collesium and the two niner numbers of Oakland International Airport. Way cool. The marine layer was an issue and I got to go both above and below it, updating ATC on conditions. Another first.

Continued on the cross country towards Rio Linda. Small airport where we picked up a SECOND 1946 Vintage Cessna 120 Taildragger. We were now a flight of two.

Flight of two Cessnas went from Rio Linda to KGOO (Grass Valley) for the Nevada County Grass Valley 2013 Air Fest. Got there just in time for the air show because they close the airspace between 10am - 3pm for the flyby aircraft to perform.

Landing with an airboss and ground control - another first. They asked on CTAF if we wanted to static display the two vintage planes as part of the show. We said yes. Another first!

Airspace closed from 10 - 3 so we got some breakfast thanks to a local EAA chapter. Wandered around and saw my friend (who flies a Cozy Jet). Small world!

Children surrounded the plane. It got hot and people took shelter under the wing. It is very delicate so I "guarded" the plane. Described instruments and flight surfaces to the kids. Did that whole "you know when you stick your hand out the window in a car" thing to demonstrate how the changing of the shape of a flight surface makes the plane go in different directions. They were wide eyed and bushy tailed. Stuck them in the pilot seat. Gave the parents photos. All smiles.

After the DC4 and the Patriots flew by, we were allowed to leave. Ground crew pushed all the planes out to the taxiway and one by one we departed.

We lost our 120 but gained a PT-26 trainer. Finally caught up with him and did some air to air talk, formation, photo, and video.

The PT-26 landed at Ranchaero for gas. Ranchaero is a tiny airport with a grass strip and a runway. We were joined moments later by a Citabria (friend from the airshow). A girl pilot co-owns this beautiful bird and she is getting her CFI soon! We now had two girl pilots and two boy pilots at Ranchaero.

The PT-26 departs but the Citabria stays and we fly formation to Chico. So cool to tell a towered airport "flight of two" and land on the same runway.

Once the planes are put away, we all join up in one hangar. Three girl pilots now and 3-5 boy pilots. Beer and BS. I even got to work on an experimental (for about 30 seconds) before we all went to dinner. I got to bore holes in some metal so the rivets would be flush. Used a hand crank looking thing that dug into the metal. I was bummed I did not get to do more. Another pilot was working on a new panel for his RV (where the throttle and prop controls sit).

Dinner followed by a visit to a lovely house to watch the sun set high on a hill overlooking the canyon. Breath taking. Huge fireplace and deck.

Early Sunday morning it is off to Chico to retrieve the plane and fly to breakfast at Willows. We meet three other pilots: an Aeronica, a Taylorcraft, and an RV. All awesome. I even rode a little 50 (moto).

We depart flight of three with Chico tower and all take off together staggered on the runway. So cool. I've only done that once before in formation training class (as a passenger).

We switch from tower to air to air frequency. The RV soon catches up and does some demonstration in front of us.

We split up with our 85 hp and leave the two 65 hp to fly for a while. We explore the local rivers and rejoin them later. We are a flight of three again.

We land in Willows and have breakfast at Nancy's. We show the pilots our photos and videos from the air show the day before. Some of the pilots during these two days were my "friends" on facebook and I didn't even know it.

We all leave but not before a demonstration of (don't try this at home) hand prop. I am a qualified pilot so I sit in the plane and follow instructions given. Another first.

Everyone goes home but not us. On the way back we stop by Petaluma where apparently I complete my first wheel landing.

I show off the plane to my O69 buddies (most are gone) and then we head south.

Later that night I'm with another friend in downtown SF for an all night comedy show with 10 comedians.

And that was just Sat / Sun!

So . . . make me jealous of your weekend!

(PS - I really want to buy an old tail dragger now)

Last edited:
Next weekend going to a graduation party on Saturday and Sunday on my way to OSH any time you are flying is a great weekend .this week end hanger flying with cocktails on Friday and breakfast flight to Maine for breakfast on Sunday with several other aircraft

Well, last weekend was nine hours and 28 flights introducing 100 newbies to the joys of flight in a Cherokee Six. Weekend after next will be flying a Cherokee 180 from St. Paul, MN to Los Angeles, CA with a student, followed by a ride home on SWA Sunday.

Well, last weekend was nine hours and 28 flights introducing 100 newbies to the joys of flight in a Cherokee Six. Weekend after next will be flying a Cherokee 180 from St. Paul, MN to Los Angeles, CA with a student, followed by a ride home on SWA Sunday.

Young Eagles?

I need to keep working on the non-aviation projects that pay for the hanger and the annual.

With any luck, I will wrap up my tailwheel endorsement on Sunday.

28 newbies? Young Eagles? I only flew four flights when we did Young Eagles but gosh that was a blast.

Watch the British Open both mornings, have lunch . . .

Well tomorrow Im hopping in the 150 with a new instuctor and going to an EAA Chapter meeting/cookout/flyin then rtbing to fly along the gulf for a bit.

Sunday Im going back to the airport to get more flying in.

The best part is its all free. :D

No fair. My weekends generally suck, cuz I'm working. :D

So, how about I tell y'all instead about our flight to Dallas last Wednesday (my Saturday)? Mary and I got up bright and early (for me, anything before 10 AM is "early") and were at the airport by 9 AM. We realized that we had forgotten to gas up the night before, so Mary taxied "Amelia", our new RV-8A, over to the pumps.

As we're gassing up, a guy pulls up in his 182. He gets closer, and closer, and closer. Before I can do anything, his wing passes within 12" of our tail, as he approaches the gas pumps!

I am apoplectic. This moron just came within one foot of smashing the empennage of our new plane! As he gets out, I lay into him -- only to discover that I know him. I mellow out, and he apologizes profusely. He's a relatively new pilot, new on the field, and apparently didn't realize how close he had just come to ruining our day/week/month.

After that inauspicious start, everything was roses. Mary flew us to Dallas at a scorching 170+ knots, up at 8500'. The plane performed marvelously, on this, our first real cross country flight, climbing like a homesick angel into the smooth, cool air above some cumulus buildup. Dallas' Class Bravo controllers were placid and helpful, stepping Mary down perfectly into the pattern at 52F (Roanoke, Northwest Regional Airport) without so much as a single turn.

Amazingly, chock to chock took just 2 hours. In Atlas, that would have been closer to 3 hours. Driving, you'd be looking at 8.5 hours. I love GA! :)

We were there to meet with Walt, to get our prop balanced at EXPAir. While there we ran into Doug Reeves (owner/operator of the Van's Airforce website) and Jay Pratt (owner of RV Central) and had a great lunch with them at the Blue Hangar Cafe, all the while marveling at the sheer amount of GA that was happening in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Coming from Wisconsin and Iowa, and more recently flying into lots of rural airports here in Texas where GA has virtually disappeared, the Dallas area is absolutely amazing. There were over 600 pilots based on this single-strip airfield!

That may be more pilots than there *are* in Iowa! :lol:

After balancing the prop (a deceptively simple process that yielded amazing results), it was my turn to fly. Before heading back, though, we wanted to go visit Jay Pratt's home field, and to see his RV Central operations. Although only 12 miles apart, flying to Hicks from Roanoke meant transitioning through Alliance's (KAFW) Class D airspace to Hicks (T67) -- all while staying beneath the Dallas Class B veil.

Heady stuff, for someone who normally flies out of sleepy little Mustang Island! Made even more challenging by our new plane, which has tandem seating. The pilot must now do ALL the radio work -- a function formerly handled by the copilot.

Nonetheless, I launched. With Mary in the back seat feeding me frequencies from Garmin Pilot, I was able to fly the busiest 12 miles I have EVER flown. This flight made flying into Oshkosh seem like a walk in the park, by comparison, as I flew directly over Alliance's busy airspace, all the while looking for traffic and the hardest field I've ever tried to spot, Hicks.

It turns out that Hicks has a railroad track, then the runway, and THEN all the hangars. Like, hundreds of them! From the air, it looked more like an industrial park than an airport, and we literally did not see it until I was on a high and fast left base. Not the place to be in a new plane -- but I made it work, landing hot and long.

Hicks Field was another amazing Dallas-area GA field. Again, over 600 pilots call it home, and most of them own their hangars and live on the field. I had originally told Mary "we will just look for the open hangar door" to find Jay Pratt. Ha! That doesn't work, with 500 hangars to choose from!

So, we shut down and I called Jay, who came to fetch us in his truck.

After an enjoyable visit, I launched for home. Again, I was amazed at our little fighter plane's agility and speed, as we climbed to 11,500 feet in just minutes, seeing speeds in excess of 200 mph all the way to the coast. Descending into the pattern at Mustang Beach Airport, we were rewarded with a gorgeous sunset on the bay as I arced around the pattern, ending with a satisying "chirp", easily making the first turn.

It was a great first cross country flight -- the first of many to follow. :D

Hopefully you had a chance to walk from the Blue Hangar to visit Tina's Pilot Shop just next door, one of the best in the country.

I spent the weekend celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary with the love of my life. Yes, I did spend it with my wife. No aviation, but a great weekend none the less.

Just got back from a 6-day trip in Napa. First real vacation in 2 years...was much needed and thoroughly enjoyed. I thought I loved wine before we got there...but WOW!

Now just need to detox for a few days...at least until the wine arrives here :)

Last weekend: Mid-Atlantic Gathering of RV's. I lust heartily for one, and am working on convincing one of my partners in the Arrow that another partnership on a plane with a slightly different mission is in order. So the two of us, as well as my son, take the Arrow for the short 35 NM flight to Westminster. 2500' broken all the way, but being newly graced with a wet ticket, my partner decides IFR is the way to go, and is absolutely giddy as we blast in and out of IMC at 3000'. I remember those days, and grin along with him. We get to Westminster, eat some fabulous grill food at a reasonable price, talk to some great owners and builders about their 'babies', don't get a t-shirt, but do manage a cool sticker. Most importantly, we discover his 6'2" frame fits better in an RV-6 than it does in the Arrow. Cha-ching!

This weekend: My Sister-in-law and two nephews are in New Hampshire visiting her folks at 'camp' on a lake. Since they live waaayyy out there in Vancouver, BC, we should not pass up the opportunity to see them on the east coast. We could drive eight hours each way up the North East corridor, maybe visit for a day, since schedules are tight. Or, we can take the family of four, jump in the Arrow I own (partly), since it's not scheduled all weekend, fly 2.5 each way to a grass strip 10 miles from the lake, and spend the better part of two days with them. Bonus is we get to mitigate the effects of this heat wave by heading north. Schwing!

I love GA, doing everything in my power to keep it active!

Probably watch some of the Tour de France in my underwear. And scratching. Lots of scratching.

28 newbies? Young Eagles? I only flew four flights when we did Young Eagles but gosh that was a blast.

Actually, 100 newbies on 28 flights. Some flights had all six seats full, some with just two pax. I think we hooked a few future pilots.

Hopefully you had a chance to walk from the Blue Hangar to visit Tina's Pilot Shop just next door, one of the best in the country.

Whoops, I inadvertently omitted our visit to Tina's! Yep, that's a GREAT pilot's shop! We bought waaaaay too much stuff there. :lol:

It was a couple weeks ago, but one of the best I've had in a while!

Started with a flight review, then I hit up 7 airports, 2 were private uncharted and only 2 were concrete. Got a ride in a 1937 rolls Royce phantom, took my wife to lunch and had a blast! Of course here are the pics.

IMG_2857_zps872da0c1.jpg

IMG_2877_zpsa91f2c5a.jpg

4FEDDA7C-CE9A-4D4E-BCAB-F66016E20BAF-129-00000002EF26EDA8_zpsf5e91645.jpg

B7126454-994B-417E-9362-0F2C2FF80708-129-000000031A5BF28F_zps2a5f6f47.jpg

-VanDy

I have a great hangar at my home drome, POC. I have a view of both runways out of my hangar, a fridge, a couch and a nice radio I can listen to the comings and goings. . .. unfortunately its going to be 90+ both days lending a less than comfortable presence to sitting in a chair watching the world doing pattern work . . .

Over Memorial Day Weekend, a CFI friend and I went on a cross-country fun flight and landed at KCOS.

Got the best ground control instruction I've had yet: "Ah, Cessna 150, turn right on Alpha Taxiway and follow the B-17."

B-17!! Yeah, one of those B-17s: http://youtu.be/5bq8IZUt_qA

We sat and watched at the run-up area for a while, then ATC helped us get to a better parking spot.

I have a great hangar at my home drome, POC. I have a view of both runways out of my hangar, a fridge, a couch and a nice radio I can listen to the comings and goings. . .. unfortunately its going to be 90+ both days lending a less than comfortable presence to sitting in a chair watching the world doing pattern work . . .

You need to build a cool room in your hangar. It's...wonderful.

Got the best ground control instruction I've had yet: "Ah, Cessna 150, turn right on Alpha Taxiway and follow the B-17."

Yup, got to do that at BJC a few years ago. "Follow the B-17 on alpha" Made a note of it in my log.

You think maybe they're telling their friends: "Hey, I got to taxi in front of FrankenkotaFlyer and AirmanG?" Maybe?

Awoke early drove 45 minutes to Craig, Colorado where I keep my plane. Enjoyed short hop to Steamboat in the beautiful rolling hills/mountains with my destination to "Ski Town USA". The ski mountain is right in town and is such an incredible back drop!

Today I restarted my IFR training logging 1.5 hours under the hood. Had a blast flying and really enjoy the new instructor since moving to Steamboat.

When done i flew back to Craig, all 12 minutes of the flight. Got in the car and headed home to Steamboat.

Last week i drove my vintage 1982 landcruiser to pick up the plane. no power steering or A/c but the radio was cranked and windows down, made me feel like 18 again, even if it was day after my 44th birthday. I kept the plane at home and got up early and flew to work in Craig on Monday.

There is no better way of starting your day then flying in the mountains in cool calm air shortly after sunrise. I told my friend I definitely had a John Denver rocky mountain high when I got to work.

Last edited:
Off to Dallas tomorrow morning in my Mooney to get RV-8 transition training in an instructor's RV-7. If all goes well I'll return to Denver Sunday afternoon and take my RV-8 up for the first time!

Not this weekend, but in a couple of weeks I'm heading east (Boston) to hold my Brand New Granddaughter! Top That!!

Back