Maintenance Hanger With Runway Access Limitations

What discounted rental rate would you feel is appropriate for the runway accessibility issues.

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5%

• 10%

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 15%

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 20%

• 30% or More

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hanger Appraiser

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hanger Appraiser Guy
I am an appraiser working on a fairly unique appraisal problem. I have a large maintenance hanger space that has access limitation that require a 96 hour notice before aircraft can be moved from the hanger to the tarmac across a public roadway. The city requires notice before the tow-way can be utilized. I would like some input from the Pilot community on potential impacts to usability. Thanks for your time!

Can I give them notice that I will be moving aircraft across the roadway everyday? Or does it have to be specific to the aircraft, day, and time?

Should probably be valued as a generic commercial building that has no access to the airport. Buyers would be few and far between that could deal with that sort of access.

It's a hangar...unless you're trying to appraise the those things in your closet you put clothes on.

In my opinion it's not a maintenance hanger any more than any other building within 20 miles. I'm not an appraiser, but I'd appraise it as commercial garage or warehouse space. If it was previously used as a maintenance facility for large aircraft, it might be equipped with 3 phase power, cranes, etc., to make it usable as heavy equipment or truck maintenance or other manufacturing - guessing.

It’s bad enough that maintenance takes so long, now add 4 days at a time to schedule pick up and drop off? What about test flights? And if I launch and have a problem - can’t get back in for 4 days?

The only aircraft operation that can withstand these limitations are hobby pilots/owners. But what if someone is building a new or restoring? 4 days between test flights? Experimental 40 hour flyoffs will take forever.

You’re not getting a revenue dependent plane in that place. Therefore it has little value for airplane maintenance.

Podunk airport? Or busy? Go grab a cup of coffee and watch the maintenance traffic.

If the hanger is heated, sounds like a perfect venue to rent space to a bunch of experimental builders.

I’m going to guess that the majority of the folks here are not in the target market for such a facility. While not practical for small scope maintenance on piston singles, this situation would work just fine for major inspections on turbine aircraft or for an avionics installation shop.

Back