Magneto questions

when the A&P sent the mags away, did they keep the point plate ? or did they send it with the mag? The point plate is the 1.25" X 2.5" plate that was held on the back of the mag by two small screws and allows the "P" lead to connect with the mag.

Point plate...the plate where all the spark plug leads converge? Didn't sent it, still connected to the plane.

Point plate...the plate where all the spark plug leads converge? Didn't sent it, still connected to the plane.
No,, that's the spark plug harness, point plate is where the "P" lead hooks up

Here's zactly what I got and was what was sent off to Montana:

0b3466_db8cbd9fee6d4f3a949f5a32dbd62f8e.jpg

Well then again...not "zactly since that looks like a 6 cylinder mag.

Lol! Tom trolling again... I bet every airplane you have signed off in the last 10 years was unairworthy per your "today's definition".
And you guys are slipping :)

Are you required to be in compliance with the ICAs for your appliances?? or should I ask, when are you required to comply with your ICAs?

Are you saying Mags are easy to disassemble? That may be true, but putting them back together again requires special tools & pubs.
No, you deliberately ignored the point. You said infant mortality doesn't happen. I said it does, and you're catching it before it goes flying. Super job.

Well then again...not "zactly since that looks like a 6 cylinder mag.

Mine are the "short cover" variants. These don't use the P-lead terminal thingy that yours do, just a regular ring terminal.

No, you deliberately ignored the point. You said infant mortality doesn't happen. I said it does, and you're catching it before it goes flying. Super job.
Infant mortality is such a remote possibility that it is insignificant. when a new part or rebuilt part fails it is most times induced by the technician.

Infant mortality is such a remote possibility that it is insignificant. when a new part or rebuilt part fails it is most times induced by the technician.
isn't that called....."infant mortality"?...which also includes maintenance induced failures.

which also includes maintenance induced failures.
When you include maintenance errors to the mix, the odds go way up. But the odds of a brand new unit failing because of manufacturer defects are rare.

When you include maintenance errors to the mix, the odds go way up. But the odds of a brand new unit failing because of manufacturer defects are rare.
it might be rare....but the probability of a new unit failing ain't zero. It's higher than after a few 50-100 hours of use. There's lots of science and research that proves that.

I couldn't really tell with that picture. The picture I posted was the mag I have; they could have been the same only one was painted black. Wow....why are those so expensive? They're either really good or really rare.

I've found it pays to shop around on them. I got factory rebuilt for way less than that.

I couldn't really tell with that picture. The picture I posted was the mag I have; they could have been the same only one was painted black. Wow....why are those so expensive? They're either really good or really rare.
neither, just expensive because they can be.

It's nice to fly an unairworthy aircraft.

If you consider any aircraft that has not fully complied with EVERY airframe, engine and appliance service bulletin ever written to be "unairworthy" then I'd guess that 98% of the US GA fleet should be grounded based on your standards.

If you consider any aircraft that has not fully complied with EVERY airframe, engine and appliance service bulletin ever written to be "unairworthy" then I'd guess that 98% of the US GA fleet should be grounded based on your standards.
I guess you missed posts 87

I slipped a SB in as rule and all of ya missed the fact we don't need to comply with SBs in 91
That in fact is why my statement was correct, most aircraft are not in compliance with their ICAs.

I guess you missed posts 87

I slipped a SB in as rule and all of ya missed the fact we don't need to comply with SBs in 91
That in fact is why my statement was correct, most aircraft are not in compliance with their ICAs.

But it may not be an SB. Those recommended time limits are listed in just about every Cessna service manual.

(Its funny that Cessna says you can't "overhaul" seatbelts but in the real world belts are rewebbed and replated every day, and look like brand new and come with new TSO tags... see the second page)

But it may not be an SB. Those recommended time limits are listed in just about every Cessna service manual.

(Its funny that Cessna says you can't "overhaul" seatbelts but in the real world belts are rewebbed and replated every day, and look like brand new and come with new TSO tags... see the second page)

This pages of the MM for Cessna are included simply for the 135 operators.

H'mm... I have an FAA letter on file somewhere that says that the aircraft must be maintained IAW with the instruction manual as it was written on the date the aircraft was born. (I'm paraphrasing just a little)... Mine must be unairworthy--because I refuse to wash the belly with avgas and fine grade steel wool to keep it shiny :)

With the constant urinary Olympics, no wonder GA pilot/owners are hemorrhaging from CAR3/FAR23 planes to the LSA sector, and taking a lot of A&P business with them... Even though the accident rate might be 4x higher...

(*grin*)

Back