"M2 Jimmie Mattern Computer" - flight planning tool from the 50's

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
My neighbor found this and gave it to me. I think it belonged to his brother-in-law, who was a Private Pilot in the 50's.

It is an "M2 Jimmie Mattern Computer". Basically seems like a pair of calipers with some other features around the edge.

I have never seen anything like it before. Anybody ever used one? Were they popular? It doesn't look like the owner of this one ever used it, it's brand new and in great shape. Copyright says 1949 on the instructions.

I may break it out the next time I'm teaching XC flight planning...

20181129_133218.jpg

I don't see a metal landing calculator in that kit...

Bet you breakfast at Ozzie's that Ron Levy knows of it and has used one

I'm pretty sure I still have one, packed away at my family home. I need to go down and see if I can find it. It was My Dad's, and he dumped it for the E6B.

I have a couple of Mattern computers, bought out of curiosity. Mattern was a fairly famous pilot; his Wikipedia article says he marketed the computers in the "late 1940s."

The ones I have are both "C4" models. The larger, lower scale window is calibrated in nautical miles, both sectional and WAC scales. The upper scale window is calibrated in statute miles. I think I have seen other Mattern computers that were calibrated in statute miles. I thought I had one but I do not find it.

They are cheaply made, simply stamped aluminum with silk-screened lettering. On mine, the "back" side features a circular slide rule more or less the same as the circular slide rule side of an E-6B. There is also a 4" ruler scale, a Centigrade to Fahrenheit conversion scale, a Morse code chart, and a scale for converting true to magnetic headings. Basically, your pilot's multitool.

Functionally useless, but kind of fun to own. I also have a couple of E-6Bs of WWII vintage, one full-size and one half-size. Both are beautifully manufactured with etched and filled lettering. Also fun to own.

Back