Lycoming SB 632 - a disaster?

peter-h

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
peter-h
http://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SB632 Connecting Rod Identification and Removal_0.pdf

This Service Bulletin contains required action 1) to identify connecting rods that contain bushings that do not meet Lycoming Engine’s specifications and 2) any applicable follow-up corrective action. Table 1 identifies affected engine models and serial numbers of new, rebuilt, or overhauled engines shipped from Lycoming Engines. Table 2 identifies the part numbers of suspect connecting rod bushings and connecting rods (that could contain the suspect connecting rod bushing) shipped from the factory within specified time ranges.

This looks like an AD, and a very expensive one.

Is this the only industry in the world that can sell you overpriced crap and then charge you to fix their mistakes?

Well...you can apply for warranty claim, assuming you engine is still within warranty it might get approved.

(You are correct)

Swell. Just got it outnof annual with the latest AD on the hoses. This is going to cost almost as much as the annual.

But it doesn't say what prompted the SB.

I am not an engine builder but AIUI this revolves around the use of P/N LW13923.

I have just had my engine rebuilt and this P/N is not listed. There is a long list of Superior parts (SL....) but I can't find a cross-reference.

Also most overhauls don't use new conrods. Those are used only if the length is out of spec, corrosion, etc.

What prompted this SB is probably something serious, because the 10hr compliance time limit is severe. It is comparable to the crankshaft saga of 15 years ago, for the cranks which had a missing heat treatment stage and cracked really soon.

Last edited:
This looks like an AD, and a very expensive one.

Technically speaking, this is not an AD and thus is not something that us Part 91 individuals need to comply with until such time as an AD comes out (at least in the US).

The FAA will have to decide whether or not they will issue an AD around this. Look to the Continental cam gear failures for an example of how that's been going.

I hadn't heard of this before, but it definitely has the potential to be very expensive for those who are affected by it.

Do I read this right in that this affects new and/or newly overhauled engines (by S/N) which might contain bushings created in the 2015-2017 timeframe?

AIUI the engine S/Ns apply only to engines from Lyco. Engines that were rebuilt in the field will need to be checked based on the parts actually used.

I have just had an IO540-C4 engine done at Barrett Precision, Tulsa, OK. Yes I did ship my engine by DHL to them, for $2000+ :) The European engine shop situation is dire. Fortunately the engine is not affected as Superior parts were used.

It will cost those affected a lot. You can remove the cylinders and provided you leave the pistons in the cylinders (with the rings not exposed) you don't need to re-hone etc. But still it will be in the $5k-10k range, with all the peripheral work.

Right, so manufactured/rebuilt by Lycoming (by S/N), OR field overhaul/repair using the bushings shipping in those timeframes and by part number. That's quite specific then, and should be easy to discern.

AIUI the engine S/Ns apply only to engines from Lyco. Engines that were rebuilt in the field will need to be checked based on the parts actually used.

I have just had an IO540-C4 engine done at Barrett Precision, Tulsa, OK. Yes I did ship my engine by DHL to them, for $2000+ :) The European engine shop situation is dire. Fortunately the engine is not affected as Superior parts were used.

It will cost those affected a lot. You can remove the cylinders and provided you leave the pistons in the cylinders (with the rings not exposed) you don't need to re-hone etc. But still it will be in the $5k-10k range, with all the peripheral work.

Looking at the info, it looks like it only covers the last couple of years. If that is correct, the vast majority of the engines affected should be mostly or completely covered by warranty.

Tim

No IO-390 that I see, should be safe. :) .
I woke up to avweb's bulletin about it this morning. Saw it before caffeine. Not a great way to start the day. I'm trying to find out if I'm affected and then I see this. :) There's hope! (I have a 390).

Off to check the official site...

Everything noted in there was made after November 2015. The blast radius should be fairly contained. That said, if you have to be inside said radius and you're out of warranty, your life is about to suck. I got lucky. I bought my plane in November of 2015 and have done no internal work to it, so I know absolutely this won't affect me.

Yeah I expect we're gonna get screwed by this. We recently bought a plane with a December 2015 overhauled engine at Zephyr Aircraft Engines. They used the "quality" Lycoming parts (only ****ed at Lyc. I have no issues with Zephyr as they used these parts in good faith), so I expect to have to do that inspection as the workorder specifies the questionable con rod bushings.

Lycoming's warranty states the following for shops that purchased their parts.

NOTICE: Warranty Claim Allowances for in-warranty bushings and connecting rod assemblies originally purchased separately, as listed in Table 2 are limited to a replacement bushing or connecting rod assembly only.

So thanks Lycoming.... :sigh:

Snapdragons! We got bit by the bushings on our Cardinal.

And they accuse me of being pennywise pounds foolish by running calendar timed out Lycos Part 91 IRAN/on-condition ....:rolleyes:. Not all that glitters is gold. upload_2017-7-19_18-45-10.png

How is this not company's financial responsibility, not the engine owners?

Read the purchase agreement on the engine. It is basically sold as is, and warranty against defects in manufacturing. There is no warranty against design failures.

Tim

In this case it is a manufacturing issue as far as I can tell. Con rod ends/bushings not properly sized. At least on Lyc new/rebuilt engines they are paying for labor. On third party OH, it looks like you get a free $5 bushing...

It's even more lame. Seems there is a special tool required for the inspection that is on back order and costs $250.

If I see that on my invoice it will be the ABSOLUTE last penny that A&P gets from me. ARGH!!!!

An "Un-commanded Structural Engine Failure"? Who in their everlovin' mind would build an engine that had a capability for someone to command a structural failure? :confused:

Someone needs to file a class action. Lawyers need new airplanes too.

An "Un-commanded Structural Engine Failure"? Who in their everlovin' mind would build an engine that had a capability for someone to command a structural failure? :confused:
I wondered about that myself!

Well...you can apply for warranty claim, assuming you engine is still within warranty it might get approved.

(You are correct)

Why do car makers comply with safety recalls on their dime regardless of warranty while the airplane/engine makers require the owner to ante up for their mistakes unless under warranty?

Why do car makers comply with safety recalls on their dime regardless of warranty while the airplane/engine makers require the owner to ante up for their mistakes unless under warranty?

Because Federal law says the car makers have to. Don't hold your breath for Congress to spend political capital to go to bat in the same way for what is generally perceived as a bunch of rich, reckless playboy pilots.

This will put almost any P135 operator out of business for a while...

There is nothing like adding maintenance induced failure to the risk. Pull all them cylinders to inspect and hope you don't spin a bearing down the road.

Why would an engine be prone to a spun bearing after removing a cylinder?

This only effects about 1000 engines.

Plus any engines overhauled by independent shops and individuals using the defective parts. That will be a big number, relatively speaking.

Read the purchase agreement on the engine. It is basically sold as is, and warranty against defects in manufacturing. There is no warranty against design failures.

Tim
If you bought it second-hand, you didn't sign that agreement at any point :)

Back