LPV "No Go" for new WAAS GPS?

Buck Rizvi

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BoulderBuck
I'm studying for my Instrument written and see the following question and answer:

Q: Which of the following applies to the LPV minimums line on a GPS IAP chart?

A: There must be a statement in the Airplane Flight Manual that the aircraft equipped has been demonstrated to support LPV approaches and is WAAS equipped.

--
I'm installing a new Avidyne IFD-550 GPS/NAV/COM in my Cherokee Six. Does this answer mean my newly upgraded plane will NEVER be legal to shoot an LPV minimum because there's no such statement in my AFM?

Or does my Avidyne manual become an extension of my Airplane Flight Manual and allow for such support?

Apologies for my ignorance here!

Thanks,
Buck

Follow on avionics installations typically come with a FAA (or other) approved Airplane Flight Manual Supplement(s) that defines the capability and limitations of the system installed, where applicable. These supplements are required to be available to the flight crew when operating the aircraft.

Your suspicion is correct, the Avidyne IFD550 supplement becomes part of your AFM.

@bnt83 @bkspero Thank you very much. Very relieved to hear that! :)
I don't know what you learned in or what else have been flying but most aircraft I've come across which have a POH (the real one, not the generic for study purposes), including basic Cessna 172, also have multiple POH Supplements for installed equipment.

Doesn't your Six? Check out POH Section 9.

Change the installed equipment, remove the associated Supplement and insert the new one.

Or it becomes binding even if your plane has no AFM. I have a half a dozen flight supplements (IFR GPS, Autopilot, tip tanks, etc...) for a non-existant flight manual.

Or it becomes binding even if your plane has no AFM. I have a half a dozen flight supplements (IFR GPS, Autopilot, tip tanks, etc...) for a non-existant flight manual.

Similar here. No AFM, just a POH that’s been “Amended” by the Robertson STC, and then a pile of mini GPS books now that have to also remain aboard.

They’re all in a very heavy duty ziplock in the side pocket for the legalities and the once in a decade need to look something up in the airplane. I use digital copies and other paper copies to actually look things up. Or if someone else wants to look something up about the airplane when we’re away from home they can go get the baggie and read and put it all back.

Don’t put it all back, you die. :) I know that baggie has all the legal stuff.

Keeps them clean and non-greasy after spending $35 for a new “official” Cessna POH and feeling lucky it wasn’t an AFM ($$$$$$$!) that had slowly disintegrated into crumbly bits in a previous baggie.

Recently for the CFI ride I decided using two different documents for official checklists was utterly stupid and re-wrote a checklist with all legally required items from both the Cessna and Robertson POH addendum and put it in little plastic page covers with rings.

Much nicer than my generic 182 single card version from a well known vendor of those things with different speeds written over it in Sharpie. :)

And of course now I’m all anal about it. I’m on Revision 6 and it needs a Revision 7. I knew that would happen.

I got the takeoff briefing (not in ether official checklist) somehow cut and pasted right BEFORE “Flight Controls...” LOL. Obviously a stupid place for it.

The interesting things to note about the Robertson STC POH addendum were:

- “Normal Takeoff” was completely removed. Found that fascinating since the airplane will happily do one. I put the Cessna one in but the Robertson clearly says to replace all of that with theirs and they didn’t include “Normal”. Just short and soft. LOL. I guess they wanted you showing off your STOL kit at every takeoff. :)

- The performance chart for landings isn’t temperature compensated but the takeoff one is. It’s clearly an omission in the notes below the table. Someone just left out a line, and FAA and everyone appears to have missed it.

Yay 1970s STCs. High quality stuff, baby. (Ours is 1977 dated.)

Then Robertson went away and there’s nobody around to issue an update. Some company owns the STC but they DGAF about it. They just wanted it to sell overpriced repair parts.

But it’s nice to have an “officially and legally combined documents, unofficial checklist” for the airplane now. :)

I suppose for Revision 7 I should also double check that the GPS check items I included “unofficially” don’t have “official” wording in the GPS manual that could/should be used instead of my words. The GPS itself walks you through the test cycle and then after that it’s “no yellow or red annunciations” realistically.

I don't even have a POH. The Navion required docs are a bunch of placards and a limitations book (a few V speeds and the W&B envelope) and an equipment list (essentially the basis of your empty weight).

Yay 1970s STCs. High quality stuff, baby. (Ours is 1977 dated.)

Then Robertson went away and there’s nobody around to issue an update. Some company owns the STC but they DGAF about it. They just wanted it to sell overpriced repair parts.
It isn't just the older STCs. I've seen some real crap paperwork for jets generated in the last 10 years, the STC holder is still modifying airplane's, and they don't seem to have any interest in fixing the documentation.

It isn't just the older STCs. I've seen some real crap paperwork for jets generated in the last 10 years, the STC holder is still modifying airplane's, and they don't seem to have any interest in fixing the documentation.

That’s disappointing. But I guess I’m not too surprised. I really thought it was a 70s thing with my ancient typewriter “printed” and probably mimeographed STC though.

Back