LPV as alternate. 600 or 800 feet?

Last edited:
That actually is true - there are ILS installations that will go away with MON..

I am not aware of any ILS installations that go away as a part of the MON program itself, but undoubtedly some ILS will go away over time, particularly at non part 139 airports.

There is a new draft of AC 90-119 available for public comment. Comments are due by 10-26-2023.

This is the current section regarding alternates with (WAAS):

12.4.1.3.2 A Destination or Alternate (with WAAS). Assuming no NOTAMs to the contrary, operators with WAAS-enabled RNP systems may qualify both the destination and alternate with a GPS-based IAP but are restricted to planning for the nonprecision (2D) LNAV or circling line of minima at the alternate. Upon arrival at an alternate, if the WAAS-enabled RNP system indicates that LNAV/VNAV or LPV service is available, then the pilot may use the vertical guidance to complete the approach using the displayed level of service.

Here is a link to the draft: https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/draft_docs/afs_ac/AC_90-119_Coord_Copy.pdf

I am not aware of any ILS installations that go away as a part of the MON program itself, but undoubtedly some ILS will go away over time, particularly at non part 139 airports.
I believe you're correct. MON doesn't cover ILS. BUT each year there are fewer and fewer ILS approaches, while LVP is on every runway it seems. While not overtly planned to be, it might just work out that only the busiest airports and a few other key ones keep ILS approaches working.

Last edited:

I guess it is more precise to say that there are certain ILS installations that are protected by MON, while others could be subject to being shut down.

Fortunately, since we never have to actually go to the alternate, pick two when conditions require: An airport with a monitored ILS for filing and what ever you want as the place you will actually go if you can't land at your original destination. Should work in the lower 48 unless it's one of those remote areas. And, of course, with XM or FISB-B weather, it's easy to keep tabs on several along the way.

I guess it is more precise to say that there are certain ILS installations that are protected by MON, while others could be subject to being shut down.
That, and since the ILS at so many nontowered airports are unmonitored, they are NA as alternates anyway. That's the real loss of LPV not allowing for precision alternate minimums.

Back