Low internet upload speeds: 0.01-0.37Mbps…

Bell206

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Bell206
About 4 years ago had similar issue which ended up being an internal modem and router issue. Replaced those with a combo Motorola MG7550 at that time and life has been good till this week.

Download speeds are at spec but upload speeds have dropped off dramatically. Its even noticeable on my Roku TVs. Checked the cables, etc. as I had done with the episode years ago, and no defects noted.

Went to the Motorola Manager and noticed a number of event logs which happen several times a minute. No clue if this was there prior as this is the 1st time I've logged into the Manager screen.

Being this is way outside my wheel house, is it possible to further diagnose the issue from the event logs and what I think are the performance logs posted below?

Any input would be appreciated.

TimePriorityDescription
Sat Oct 07 07:14:47 2023Critical (3)Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC;
Sat Oct 07 07:15:11 2023Critical (3)Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;
Sat Oct 07 07:15:52 2023Critical (3)Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;
Sat Oct 07 07:16:12 2023Critical (3)Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;
Sat Oct 07 07:20:12 2023Critical (3)Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;
Sat Oct 07 07:20:29 2023Critical (3)Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;
Sat Oct 07 07:25:04 2023Critical (3)Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;
Sat Oct 07 07:25:09 2023Critical (3)Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;
Sat Oct 07 07:29:57 2023Critical (3)Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;
Sat Oct 07 07:30:25 2023Critical (3)Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC;
Sat Oct 07 07:40:10 2023Critical (3)Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;
Sat Oct 07 07:40:34 2023Critical (3)Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;

Channel​
Lock Status​
Modulation​
Channel ID​
Freq. (MHz)​
Pwr (dBmV)​
SNR (dB)​
Corrected​
Uncorrected​
1​
Locked​
QAM256​
5​
141.0​
5.3​
42.0​
0​
0​
2​
Locked​
QAM256​
1​
117.0​
4.7​
41.5​
38​
13​
3​
Locked​
QAM256​
2​
123.0​
4.9​
41.6​
0​
0​
4​
Locked​
QAM256​
3​
129.0​
5.0​
41.8​
0​
0​
5​
Locked​
QAM256​
4​
135.0​
5.3​
41.8​
0​
0​
6​
Locked​
QAM256​
13​
189.0​
5.6​
42.2​
0​
0​
7​
Locked​
QAM256​
6​
147.0​
5.5​
42.0​
0​
0​
8​
Locked​
QAM256​
7​
153.0​
5.3​
41.8​
0​
0​
9​
Locked​
QAM256​
8​
159.0​
5.4​
42.0​
0​
0​
10​
Locked​
QAM256​
9​
165.0​
5.9​
42.4​
0​
0​
11​
Locked​
QAM256​
10​
171.0​
5.6​
41.8​
0​
0​
12​
Locked​
QAM256​
11​
177.0​
5.7​
42.1​
0​
0​
13​
Locked​
QAM256​
12​
183.0​
5.6​
42.2​
0​
0​
14​
Locked​
QAM256​
14​
195.0​
5.8​
41.8​
0​
0​
15​
Locked​
QAM256​
15​
201.0​
5.6​
42.5​
0​
0​
16​
Locked​
QAM256​
16​
207.0​
5.7​
42.5​

Channel​
Lock Status​
Channel Type​
Channel ID​
Symb. Rate (Ksym/sec)​
Freq. (MHz)​
Pwr (dBmV)​
1​
Locked​
ATDMA​
1​
5120​
36.8​
40.9​
2​
Locked​
ATDMA​
2​
5120​
30.4​
39.5​
3​
Locked​
ATDMA​
3​
5120​
24.0​
40.9​
4​
Locked​
ATDMA​
4​
5120​
17.6​
40.4​

what type of internet service?

I recently had connection problems with my internet... turned out to be a corroded splitter on the telephone pole (RCN equipment) resulting in a significant loss of signal (an unterminated line into a neighbor's house may have contributed - but the tech did both fixes at the same time).

Do you have anything indicating SNR and power (e.g., channel power and forward power)?

what type of internet service?
Cox Internet via coax at 250Mbps down/10Mbps up. It usually would run around 5-9Mbps upload.
Do you have anything indicating SNR and power (e.g., channel power and forward power)?
No clue what that is. Could I find that in the Admin features of the modem/router? Would it be labeled the same?

Cox Internet via coax at 250Mbps down/10Mbps up. It usually would run around 5-9Mbps upload.

No clue what that is. Could I find that in the Admin features of the modem/router? Would it be labeled the same?

I don't know what it would be labeled. If not the same, it would be similar. But I think it would depend on the specific modem, make, model.

I have RCN and know a couple of different ways to see what RCN thinks the connection status is (this is in addition to poking around the modem itself).

Something to try is https://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/speedtest.html and poke around the help that might be there (I went there, but it won't be applicable to my connection because I have RCN (now known as Astound).

Something else to try is to hard reboot your modem. Specifically, turn if off (unplug it). Disconnect the coax from the modem for a couple of minutes. The point is try to get the modem to completely refresh the bands it bonds to and be basically a clean/virgin restart.

If you call for tech support, they'd probably tell you to reboot the modem anyway. And, if Cox is similar to RCN, they can ping the modem to get information.

Did you not see it in post #1? Looks like 41.5-42.5dB SNR and 4.7-5.9dBmV power downstream across 16 channels while upstream is 39.5-40.9dBmV power across 4 channels.

Did you not see it in post #1? Looks like 41.5-42.5dB SNR and 4.7-5.9dBmV power downstream across 16 channels while upstream is 39.5-40.9dBmV power across 4 channels.

yup missed that.

I guess my reason (but not excusing myself) is that I was focused more on upstream. Anyway, I don't know what Cox wants for a nominal upstream power. I know RCN has a sweet spot for upstream power that is higher... but too high would tend to indicate noise/interference on the upstream path. And to state the obvious, too low and it ain't going to get through.

Of course his modem may be functioning correctly and the Cox equipment is degraded.

Something else to try is to hard reboot your modem
I performed a hard reboot 3x, the 2nd one left off over night. No change
Looks like 41.5-42.5dB SNR and 4.7-5.9dBmV power downstream across 16 channels while upstream is 39.5-40.9dBmV power across 4 channels.

Anyway, I don't know what Cox wants for a nominal upstream power.
After digging around the Cox forums the best I could figure for the upstream levels is that 52 is the system max and a reading around 40 is good.
So based on that could the values in Post 1 be good? Or do they possibly point to a problem?
Something to try is https://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/speedtest.html and poke around the help that might be there
Have done a number of speed tests from different vendors and all show low upload speeds. The Cox version would actually server time out on the upload test side. My faith in Cox has never been high but its all I got. All download speeds are good.

So can I take the event logs in Post 1 noting various "maintenance" items and "time outs" are nothing to pursue or are problematic?

There is one test I have not done yet and that is a modem reset via my Cox account. They have a Smart Help function and if nothing seems to jump out here by tomorrow morning will try that and any other subsequent tests offered by this function. Then if no change will contact support and play that game.

Appreciate the input so far.

I performed a hard reboot 3x, the 2nd one left off over night. No change

ok, at least that is out of the way... too bad, it would be a super easy fix...

After digging around the Cox forums the best I could figure for the upstream levels is that 52 is the system max and a reading around 40 is good.
So based on that could the values in Post 1 be good? Or do they possibly point to a problem?

Then it would seem that your upload power is ok

Have done a number of speed tests from different vendors and all show low upload speeds. The Cox version would actually server time out on the upload test side. My faith in Cox has never been high but its all I got. All download speeds are good.

So can I take the event logs in Post 1 noting various "maintenance" items and "time outs" are nothing to pursue or are problematic?

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear - I was hoping that the Cox speed test page would be more informative than just a speed test. The RCN speednet page provides power levels and such, which I now know how to interpret for the RCN network.

So, yeah, those events don't look good.

I hate to say it, but about the only left for you to do is call Cox tech support. Well, there is one more thing. You could try a new cable (RG6) from the where the Cox coax enters your house (I'm assuming that the cable hits the exterior of your and is connected to a block and a cable from that block enters your house) - especially if it's an old RG59 cable.

Oh, and yet one more thing: are there any splitters between the cable modem and the cable entering the house?

Reboot the router and modem. Had to do it today with my Starlink.

You could try a new cable (RG6) from the where the Cox coax enters your house
Cables are RG6 and good. During my previous issue in 2019 went through the cables, ground block, etc. and verified all good and changed some then. This time did a visual/continuity check on all cables and found good.
are there any splitters between the cable modem and the cable entering the house?
No. but there is a coax union that I installed in place of a splitter when I dropped cable tv and went streaming.
but about the only left for you to do is call Cox tech support.
I think I'll do the modem reset via my account first before I call tech support. But if that doesn't do anything may just get a loaner modem/router and see if that changes things before go tech support.....thanks.
Reboot the router and modem.
Did 3 hard reboots of combo modem/router but no change.

No. but there is a coax union that I installed in place of a splitter when I dropped cable tv and went streaming.

If you are bored, you could try connecting the modem to the Cox side of that union (does that make sense?) - in other words, disconnect the cable union, and connect your modem... bypassing the union. Yes, that will mean temporarily moving the modem to wherever the union is.

It's unlikely to be the union, but it's a simple check.... well, maybe a simple check, depending on how accessible that union is.

You need to replace the points and reset the timing. Also, check resistance on each wire. Make sure you have clean grounds. If all else fails, send it out for IRAN. Can I get a witness?

you could try connecting the modem to the Cox side of that union
Actually after my last episode of internet issues I rigged up a set of cables to connect the modem at the exterior interface box so it was all Cox wires. And I did the same this morning before running through same checks to include several modem resets from the cox side. But no change.

After finally getting a cox rep on chat, and in typical Cox flair, was told I need to upgrade my modem. Why? Seems they restructured their internet plans and I'm now at a higher level and my current modem is no longer compatible. Don't recall the plan change but at least it explains why I could find nothing obviously wrong with the equipment or cables.:rolleyes:

So to fix this issue my options are to change my plan back to the slower one where my modem supposedly still works or buy a new modem to meet the requirements of this new level I'm now at.

Appreciate all the help.

After finally getting a cox rep on chat, and in typical Cox flair, was told I need to upgrade my modem. Why? Seems they restructured their internet plans and I'm now at a higher level and my current modem is no longer compatible. Don't recall the plan change but at least it explains why I could find nothing obviously wrong with the equipment or cables.:rolleyes:

oh my. It would be really bad for the ISP to change the plans/service without informing the customer and without making sure the connected equipment is compatible.... very poor customer service

I gather you own your modem, which could explain why Cox didn't care how the service change effected your service.

In one sense, I'm glad I only rent the modem from RCN. Yeah, it costs a silly amount to rent it, but when RCN makes network changes it's on them to update the equipment.

Anyway, I'm glad you have it figured out (apparently).

my current modem is no longer compatible.
Sounds like DOCSIS 3.0 vs DOCSIS 3.1

Too bad they're forcing you to upgrade before DOCSIS 4.0 has started rolling out. Maybe they're trying to incentivize their modem lease.

To finish this off, ordered a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem combo that is rated up to 1Gbps speeds with a WiFi 6 router. Hope this fixes the issues which seems plausible at this moment in time. And yes I prefer to own my modem/router due to cost savings over renting.

I'll throw this out there as a shot in the dark. Have you tried disconnecting all of the devices you have connected to your network?

We were having internet connection issues at our house. Our provider replacing their end router since it was older, didn't fix the problem. I replaced our wireless router, same issues. Finally I happened to have the app that monitors our wireless router open and caught spikes in traffic that were disrupting our connection. I was able to identify the problem device, our home camera system. It was either malfunctioning, or had been compromised, and was using all of our available bandwidth in frequent spikes. I unplugged it from the router and the problems went away.

I found out a friend that had the same brand camera system at his business had the same issue. His business was having repeated connectivity issues and the provider tech told him it was because he was maxxing out his 5 GB/s connection.

A friend that is a tech for our local telco company told me the entire city, including our 911 system, was briefly taken offline by a gamer from a foreign country that used a DoS attack on a local gamer for beating him in a game.

Have you tried disconnecting all of the devices you have connected to your network?
I actually disconnected my entire network and connected my modem/router to the cable input at the exterior interface box. No change. However, seems Cox restructured their internet services and I got an upgrade not compatible with my current router. Once I get a compatible modem/router installed will update the thread. Film at 11. Thanks.

Back