low frequency training, finally finished PPL

exncsurfer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
exncsurfer
Now that the dust has settled on my check ride(8 days ago), I can reflect on my journey a bit. I just wanted to put this post out there for prospective students who might not have the time or money to put in the often recommended 2-4 flights per week. It took me just over 2 years to finish at a training frequency of about 2.5 hours per month. So, 68 hours over 2 years with the hours spread evenly throughout the period. I think would have shaved off over 10 hours had I had my medical in order before time to solo so that would've saved me another 4-5 months probably. My goal has always been flying for fun so I never felt a need to rush or a need to separate before/after PPL costs. I figured I needed to be able to fly well enough to pass the check ride at the frequency I'd likely be able to fly afterwards anyway. I did a lot of reading and keeping my head in the game on the ground between flight lessons which helped me get it done. It also helped that I had a CFI that wasn't transient and I never had to start over. POA has been helpful as well as even now the only pilot I know(interact with) is my CFI and its been nice having a forum to bounce questions on and get the good and bad advice. So thanks to POA!

Now, I'll have to come up with new excuses to fly and keep the rust at bay.

Now that the dust has settled on my check ride(8 days ago), I can reflect on my journey a bit. I just wanted to put this post out there for prospective students who might not have the time or money to put in the often recommended 2-4 flights per week. It took me just over 2 years to finish at a training frequency of about 2.5 hours per month. So, 68 hours over 2 years with the hours spread evenly throughout the period. I think would have shaved off over 10 hours had I had my medical in order before time to solo so that would've saved me another 4-5 months probably. My goal has always been flying for fun so I never felt a need to rush or a need to separate before/after PPL costs. I figured I needed to be able to fly well enough to pass the check ride at the frequency I'd likely be able to fly afterwards anyway. I did a lot of reading and keeping my head in the game on the ground between flight lessons which helped me get it done. It also helped that I had a CFI that wasn't transient and I never had to start over. POA has been helpful as well as even now the only pilot I know(interact with) is my CFI and its been nice having a forum to bounce questions on and get the good and bad advice. So thanks to POA!

Now, I'll have to come up with new excuses to fly and keep the rust at bay.
Congrats! I'm somewhat in the same boat you were, for financial reasons I'm only able to do about 4 hours a month in the air.

2.5 and you finished with 68 hours? Not bad at all. Congrats on sticking with it!
Thanks! I didn't plan it but the weather even caused me a 2 week delay heading into my check ride after my last check ride prep flight. It worked out though, I was used to it.

Congratulations! May I suggest you test out all of the area restaurants that are at/near airports? That's a good way to keep flying and... you might as well invite along some family and/or friends!

congrats! if I remember correctly, now its time for you to hit The Pig. (hope I don't have u confused with someone else)

congrats! if I remember correctly, now its time for you to hit The Pig. (hope I don't have u confused with someone else)
I was looking at that one, yep. Seems like a cool place. BQ1 right? 1000 ft shorter than anything i've been on yet.

Last edited:
Congrats!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back