Lost My Faithful Companion

You might be able to train your dog to push the wheelchair . . . ;)

That could be a plan. The only fly in the ointment is that my dogs are so spoiled that they might be too hesitant to off me.

Sincerest condolences for your loss. Pets are family, and losing a pet is, at least to my family, profoundly painful. But your pets will live on in your memories and hearts.

It's been a month since my Louie passed away. He'd been with me for the last 21 years. My wife has said she cannot have another dog as the grief is unbearable. We still keep his water and food bowl out for him.
View attachment 99485

The only thing more painful than losing a beloved pet is being bereft of a dog's love for the rest of life. After losing my first dog, I decided not to get another dog. That lasted about six weeks when I decided that the pain of an empty house was worse.

The only thing more painful than losing a beloved pet is being bereft of a dog's love for the rest of life. After losing my first dog, I decided not to get another dog. That lasted about six weeks when I decided that the pain of an empty house was worse.
We have one dog left, a 15yr old female Weimeraner my wife rescued prior to us even dating. When she passes, we'll probably remain dog-less for a few years just to free up the ability to be away from the house for multiple days without having to secure pet sitters or having to patrol the backyard for dog poo for the kids to play. We will undoubtedly get another dog down the road, and my wife wholeheartedly wants another retriever. Golden or Lab most likely. It's my belief that it's beneficial for kids to grow up knowing how to care for animals and read animal behavior, especially dogs.

Never easy to say goodbye to a furry family member. We have a 14 year old Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab mix and she is having issues with her back legs and I know that her time with us is getting short.

No one can truly understand why dogs are called man's best friend until they have experienced the loss of one

Virtual man hugs on your loss of Hank. I lost Baxter, my furry best friend, almost three years ago. Getting Bolt, my new buddy a year ago did make the grief a bit easier, but I still get a little tear my thinking him. Dogs give so much unconditional love it's a wonder we even bother with human friends :)

We have one dog left, a 15yr old female Weimeraner my wife rescued prior to us even dating. When she passes, we'll probably remain dog-less for a few years just to free up the ability to be away from the house for multiple days without having to secure pet sitters or having to patrol the backyard for dog poo for the kids to play. We will undoubtedly get another dog down the road, and my wife wholeheartedly wants another retriever. Golden or Lab most likely. It's my belief that it's beneficial for kids to grow up knowing how to care for animals and read animal behavior, especially dogs.

BTDT, caring for grand-puppies saves the day!

nvv5U4Rl.jpg

Sorry for your loss. Reminds me of Nic, our black lab. Everyone enjoyed being around him. He was a good friend. RIP Hank and Nic

My heart goes out to you… there’s no doubt a dog like that leaves an indelible mark upon our souls… I’m tearing up writing this to you thinking of my old boy I lost in March… I don’t know how long I’ll have to go till my eyes won’t cry thinking of him. Cry until you can’t then cry some more…

hang in there… it’s rough and no words will make it not so and time hasn’t been a huge help either so far.

I will never feel bad for anyone that loses a great dog, especially an old one. Instead, I feel happy knowing that someone got to spend that dog’s whole life with them, and that their lives were amazing because of it. The reason dogs live only as long as they do serves to remind us to be appreciative of the things we have in life, no matter how fleeting.

We had to put our golden retriever, Hank Bosworth, to sleep on Monday. I've been dreading this day for a while, knowing that his time with us was getting short. Our Hank Dog has been the epitome of “Man’s Best Friend” for the last 15 years. He really was a one of kind, unforgettable dog. Movies like Homeward Bound and Marley & Me were written with a dog like Hank in mind. He would follow me down to the mailbox to fetch the mail/newspapers and bring them back in his mouth so he could drop them into our hands back inside the house. He insisted on helping us carry groceries inside from the car and would grab bags out of your hand if you refused. He was my shadow, always getting up to be right next to me even if I was just walking across the room. Fantastic with the children as they tugged, pulled, and climbed on him as infants/toddlers. He patrolled the area around our house each night, walking a predictable path a few houses down on each side of our property. He would crawl into my closet to pout when I would get the travel luggage out each month for work trips. Loved the snow, loved swimming, playing fetch, and rough-housing with me. Content to be outside for hours or lay in the shop as long as he was around family. Protective of the wife/kids and watchful of strangers walking by the house, but never aggressive.

He had lost most of his vision over the past year and has been deaf for a couple of years as well. Finally this past week, he had become increasingly lethargic and was having trouble getting his back legs to support him. He laid in one spot for almost an entire day. The weekend wasn't much of an improvement, so we got ourselves prepared for the final trip to the vet Monday afternoon. He gave us everything he had to give, and I couldn't have asked for anything more. I'm not a particularly emotional guy, but I sobbed like a baby as he took his last breath. I'm going to miss him a ton.

I am too scared to read these stories. My dog is still with me, and healthy, but I know his end will come sooner than later. Thanks for sharing.

The hardest part of owning a pet is saying goodbye. Sorry for your loss, BTDT.

My dad was a veterinarian (and taught small animal surgery at UC Davis and WSU). He had to put a few of our pets down over the years and absolutely hated doing that. He and the students helping him put their last Golden Retriever down were crying when it was finished. Nugget was the sweetest dog you would ever want to know. We've had to put a few pets down over the years and it doesn't get any easier. Again, I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Staying up too late tonight, flipped around and caught the last few minutes of a Twilight Zone episode. The Hunt. A little silly, but one of my favorites. It's on topic to this thread.

Back