Lost in CFI training

Caro1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DualRated
Hi there, new poster here, looking for advice. About a month I started training to be a CFI with an instructor. I used the same instructor before, to prepare for my Multiengine checkride. Since I passed the ride and we get along great, I asked him to be my CFI instructor as well, after I'd taken both written tests with no problems (those are merely a memorization exercise anyway). But things are not going well for me. Even though this is a 141 school, he is not using any type of syllabus. He asks me "What do you want to do next lesson?" as if I know how to teach myself the material. I'm an experienced commercial/instrument pilot with over 1000 hours, so he says he "has confidence" that I know what to do. But I don't know what to do! I've tried several times to explain to him that I need help directing my studies because I'm overwhelmed, but he responds by actually giving me less direction and I'm unsure how to communicate my needs. Sort of unfortunately, we've become good friends and he asks me to ride along in his plane as a safety pilot frequently, so changing instructors at this point could mean ending a friendship, which I don't want to do. I've resigned to the fact that I have to teach myself the material and figure out how best to use him to prepare for the checkride.

So that's the background, here's the question. How should I teach myself to be a CFI? I've tried several approaches but I keep changing directions when I feel it isn't working. I've tried making index cards on each PTS item like I did for the Multi rating, but there's so much information I'd have to make hundreds. I've tried rewriting a published PPL syllabus and typing out reference material. I've tried making lesson outlines and studying through them one at a time. But I'm not a full time student, I have kids and a job and I can't spend more than about an hour a day studying, and I don't want to spend nine months on this rating either. I'm not sure how to structure my studying so I learn what I need to learn in an efficient manner. Can anyone suggest a direction or some resources please? I need a method that can get me from start to finish in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks in advance!

This doesn't really answer your question (I did it the old fashioned way - I taught myself) but here's something that will help. Fly backseat on some instructional flights with instructors that you respect. You'll learn a lot by watching their teaching technique.

I think he's doing you a favor, you just haven't realized it yet.
Not knowing all the ins and outs of it, I tend to agree. You are looking for a shiny certificate that will allow YOU to direct the student's progress. Start thinking like that. Start with what you think will be the first lesson you're going to teach a student, then work on a progression of lessons including some lessons for the maneuvers you already know will be on your checkride.

This is a initial CFI, if you need your hand to be held, as th saying goes, you're not going to have a fun time.

The CFI was the hardest ride I've taken, it was also the cheapest, as I had hardly any CFI time to pay for and hardly any aircraft time to pay for ether, I did however use a ton of book time, tutored folks for hours and hours on end, logged boat loads of time on the Internet on FOI and other topics, many of which I found the best sources were outside of aviation related sites, lots of notes and so on.

This is a very self orientated thing you set out to do, all you need a CFI for is for a couple endorsements and to double check your work, you need to be able to blaze your own path here.

I've run into the same thing. Show up for CFI traiing and "what do you want to do"? Do the airlines train instructors using no syllabus? Does the military train instructors with no syllabus.

That CFI is NOT doing you a favor.

Caro,

Sounds frustrating, but it also sounds like there may be two things going on. Teaching a student how to fly and passing a CFI checkride are two different goals.

How are you doing with right-seat flying? If you're solid (and can handle student mistakes) then I'd suggest borrowing a few students of his and assessing where they're at while teaching them. Use a syllabus from the web if you need - there are a few good ones there including Derek Beck's.

Go back to basics and get a strong sense of your ability to get a newbie from zero to solo, then work on how to make the DPE happy.

Come back and let us know how it's going?

It sounds like y'all have a communications issue - maybe, but that's OK for now. You'll experience that with students, too. The question is how to solve it. Here's a suggestion - if you THINK, but don't know for sure that he isn't using a syllabus, grab one yourself - like this one (not vouching for it, just using it as an example - http://www.asa2fly.com/Combined-Commercial-Flight-Instructor-Syllabus-P2445.aspx and here is another - http://www.latech.edu/aviation/training/includes/cfisyllabus.pdf ) , and if you don't know what you need to learn, look at the syllabus (that's what you'll want to do with students) and tell him what you're working on next. You CAN get this done, but you're going to have to start taking more responsibility in the process. If he spoon-feeds you all the way to the checkride, he's doing something wrong, and you won't be ready for a student when you pass the checkride.

I don't think he's wrong in his style... You're going to have to learn how to decide what comes next for students, and you know yourself way better than you'll ever know a student...

I'd say now is an excellent time to not be flying, and to be writing a Private Pilot syllabus from scratch.

Then grab a copy of any of a million commercial syllabi and see what you missed completely to teach in yours, and see what order they did things and re-order yours if needed. Perhaps that would also be an excellent time to show it to your CFI before you do that, and see what they think.

Obviously finding a good syllabus is easy these days, especially with the Internet. The point is to make yourself write one and do the due-diligence and mental work to come up with it.

Not going to be able to teach others if you need your CFI to tell you what's next in your own CFI training.

That's just my (soon to be humbled hard, since I'm working in it also) opinion.

Instead of the Legos being handed to you with instructions on how to build them into something, now you have to find all the Legos and decide what you want to build out of them, and write the instructions and order they should be done. And that's just the beginning.

Think of it this way: you are your first student. Figure out how to train yourself and then training others will come more naturally.

I've run into the same thing. Show up for CFI traiing and "what do you want to do"? Do the airlines train instructors using no syllabus? Does the military train instructors with no syllabus.

There is a difference between a millitary instructor, and a HUGE difference between a airline instructor.

I fly very well in the right seat. I'm already soloing in the right seat and practicing the maneuvers on my own. And I've tried multiple times to communicate with the instructor but I can't seem to get the response I want. Everything I'm reading in the FOI says he's doing it wrong. Even the teachers need to be taught how to teach. Why not teach a CFI according to the FOI in order to set the best example?

I knew the comments about being "spoon fed" were going to come. But as someone who WAS trained in the miltary pipeline, I was hardly spoon fed. I was given a syllabus with reading assignments, had to teach myself the material, and show up and demonstrate mastery of it on the first try or be given a pink slip. It was well-organized and efficient and turned out highly skilled and safe students in a very short period of time. But I didn't walk in knowing how to get from A to B, I just needed a roadmap to get there. I can't imagine a medical or law student showing up to class and being asked what they want to work on and told to train themselves. Are you saying they are spoon fed? I really wished I had done this with ATP or a more professionally organized school, which suits my learning style much better. But that ship has sailed. I'm asking for a response to my question, how best to organize myself to learn the material. Please respond if you were a CFI, how you prepared for the checkride. And yes, obviously I know there is a difference between being a good CFI and passing a checkride.

I like the suggestion to fly with someone's students. But I'll have to see if they let me do that, the chief pilot is very strict about things. I could certainly do some ground tutoring. Both will help me be a better instructor, but not sure about checkride prep.

I fly very well in the right seat. I'm already soloing in the right seat and practicing the maneuvers on my own. And I've tried multiple times to communicate with the instructor but I can't seem to get the response I want. Everything I'm reading in the FOI says he's doing it wrong. Even the teachers need to be taught how to teach. Why not teach a CFI according to the FOI in order to set the best example?
So yeah, I'm NOT saying this is NOT a problem.
I knew the comments about being "spoon fed" were going to come. But as someone who WAS trained in the miltary pipeline, I was hardly spoon fed. I was given a syllabus with reading assignments, had to teach myself the material, and show up and demonstrate mastery of it on the first try or be given a pink slip. It was well-organized and efficient and turned out highly skilled and safe students in a very short period of time. But I didn't walk in knowing how to get from A to B, I just needed a roadmap to get there. I can't imagine a medical or law student showing up to class and being asked what they want to work on and told to train themselves. Are you saying they are spoon fed? I really wished I had done this with ATP or a more professionally organized school, which suits my learning style much better. But that ship has sailed. I'm asking for a response to my question, how best to organize myself to learn the material. Please respond if you were a CFI, how you prepared for the checkride. And yes, obviously I know there is a difference between being a good CFI and passing a checkride.
Did you see the link I posted above to some sample syllabus options?

In response to your questions, I'm a CFI and did my CFI with a small flight school partner who I thought was the best instructor I knew. We weren't terribly organized, but not disorganized and he put a LOT of stress on my need to be able to plan and execute a lesson, made me write my own lessons based on the instructors handbook and worked with me on how to guide a student through the process. The other thing that helped was really picking his brain about how students could get you in trouble, what the things he commonly saw as student errors were, where students were failing, where there wasn't enough emphasis. We did do guided stuff, but before I was ready for the checkride I'm pretty sure I was pretty much completely responsible for knowing which maneuvers I was going to "teach" and what order I was going to do them in, and if he had to talk, it was because I was messing up. If you've done the commercial checkride, you already know the maneuvers, and you've already gone over most, if not all of the material you need to know in previous training. Now it's really up to you to start adopting the teacher mindset instead of the student mindset, and I'm wondering if that is what this other instructor sees and why he's treating you this way. A good thing to remember is that the checkride is NOT just about your skill as a pilot, but about how well you are going to organize, present, and teach material to a student and how you'll correct their mistakes and help them understand when they fail, or when there is a communication problem.

This guy also thought that CFI's who had just passed their checkride should have an older instructor as a mentor to work with them for a year or so and that something along those lines would be better for aviation. He hired me right out of my checkride with about 10-15 resumes still on his desk after a flight school nearby closed and I did end up working for him for a year or so.
I like the suggestion to fly with someone's students. But I'll have to see if they let me do that, the chief pilot is very strict about things. I could certainly do some ground tutoring. Both will help me be a better instructor, but not sure about checkride prep.
The AGI isn't very hard to get and would make the ground instruction more useful and "legit" for the students.

Last edited:
There is a difference between a millitary instructor, and a HUGE difference between a airline instructor.
I agree, what do you think the biggest differences are for a military instructor?

I knew the comments about being "spoon fed" were going to come. But as someone who WAS trained in the miltary pipeline, I was hardly spoon fed. I was given a syllabus with reading assignments, had to teach myself the material, and show up and demonstrate mastery of it on the first try or be given a pink slip. It was well-organized and efficient and turned out highly skilled and safe students in a very short period of time. But I didn't walk in knowing how to get from A to B, I just needed a roadmap to get there. I can't imagine a medical or law student showing up to class and being asked what they want to work on and told to train themselves. Are you saying they are spoon fed? I really wished I had done this with ATP or a more professionally organized school, which suits my learning style much better. But that ship has sailed. I'm asking for a response to my question, how best to organize myself to learn the material. Please respond if you were a CFI, how you prepared for the checkride.
You were a military pilot, but I'm assuming not an IP in the military? There is the military competency instructor course available, if you were.

I may not be much help for where you're at but I recommend having one or two common errors listed for each procedure or maneuver and having a corrective technique for each one.

If you've done the commercial checkride, you already know the maneuvers, and you've already gone over most, if not all of the material you need to know in previous training.

Ah yes, sadly it was almost 20 years ago and I'm having to re-teach myself a lot of stuff I haven't practiced since then. Unfortunately I was not an IP.

The difference between civilian CFIs and miltary CFIs are accountability and structure. Military CFIs use a pretty rigid syllabus and expect you to study on your own and have every maneuver and limitation memorized. and be prepared and 15 minutes early with the airplane already untied and preflighted. They do not put up with excuses and are very direct with their critique. They also have a much lower risk tolerance, believe it or not. Risk management is taught from day one. Civilian CFIs, at least the ones I have worked with, do not prepare as much or require as much out of students. Some don't even take notes or do much of a debrief, which I feel is THE most important part of the lesson. That goes both ways- civilian students show up late, unprepared, and expect to be stroked through the process. That will take some getting used to but I've been out for a while so I know what to expect.

Ah yes, sadly it was almost 20 years ago and I'm having to re-teach myself a lot of stuff I haven't practiced since then. Unfortunately I was not an IP.

The difference between civilian CFIs and miltary CFIs are accountability and structure. Military CFIs use a pretty rigid syllabus and expect you to study on your own and have every maneuver and limitation memorized. and be prepared and 15 minutes early with the airplane already untied and preflighted. They do not put up with excuses and are very direct with their critique. They also have a much lower risk tolerance, believe it or not. Risk management is taught from day one. Civilian CFIs, at least the ones I have worked with, do not prepare as much or require as much out of students. Some don't even take notes or do much of a debrief, which I feel is THE most important part of the lesson. That goes both ways- civilian students show up late, unprepared, and expect to be stroked through the process. That will take some getting used to but I've been out for a while so I know what to expect.
Debriefs ARE crucial - you are right. The problem / difference with civilian instructors and military is that a military IP outranks the student usually, and has a LOT more say on their future. The military student has basically only one job to do - learn - while the civilian can be doing a ton of other stuff at the same time. Every military pilot I've known has a LOT more ground knowledge before ever stepping into the plane they are going to fly, too. A civilian CFI is essentially the student's employee in one sense and can be fired if the student isn't happy. That can make it more awkward when you need to crack down on a student but good students, and better instructors don't worry about that and figure out the right balance.

work on a progression of lessons including some lessons for the maneuvers you already know will be on your checkride.
So....how do I know which maneuvers will be on the checkride?

Practical Test Standards. If you didn't know that already, then yeah, I'm thinking your instructor is a bit of a "fail" and I'm not afraid to say so.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/#flightInstructors
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/media/FAA-S-8081-6D.pdf

You should introduce the PTS (actually, the new stuff coming out this summer for private pilots - see: https://rodmachado.com/blogs/learning-to-fly/98240710-the-airman-certification-standards) to your students, as well as the regs that talk about their training right away. EVERY pre-solo student should know what is in 61.87 from about their second flight and that those requirements are their first "milestone." It helps keep both of you accountable.

Oh yes, I've got the PTS. And the one for PPL, and the one for Commercial. I thought you knew something I didn't! But couldn't I be asked something off of the other PTS books also? It's a lot to sort through.

Oh yes, I've got the PTS. And the one for PPL, and the one for Commercial. I thought you knew something I didn't! But couldn't I be asked something off of the other PTS books also? It's a lot to sort through.

For your initial CFI-A I believe you are only tested on PPL/Commercial standards since that's all you can teach with the license. When you get your CFI-I instrument comes into play, but I don't think it rules out any of the priors.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't phrase that very well. What I meant was, I am studying the CFI PTS, but don't I need to study the Private and Commercial PTS too? Couldn't I be asked material from those as well?

He might see if you can teach a lesson on something in one of those other books, but that's what's supposed to be on the test. That's plenty, trust me.

Another thing my CFI - John - taught me. Go ahead and plan out your next flight as if you were the one teaching it, try to have it make sense, and be prepared to actually have a sequence of maneuvers for the checkride, too. YOU are the teacher this time, plan out a lesson. For instance, it would make little sense to have a lesson start out with some touch and goes, a steep spiral, then some stalls, another touch and go, and then some lazy 8s. It would make MORE sense to climb out, do some stalls, do a lazy 8, do the steep spiral, do an 8s on pylons, then do a set of landings.Try to practice logically and teach logically.

You have to start thinking like an instructor.

It does occur to me that one reason for the high fail rate on the CFI ride is that it usually isn't taught well, or there's some disconnect between what the FAA wants to see and the available training material. I don't intend to fail the first time.

It does occur to me that one reason for the high fail rate on the CFI ride is that it usually isn't taught well, or there's some disconnect between what the FAA wants to see and the available training material. I don't intend to fail the first time.
I read the FAA publications to help me prep. They are good, easy reads. Just like everything else, if you know your stuff, you'll be fine. If you are done after a grueling 8 hour oral session, don't be afraid to discontinue. You'll be exhausted by the end of the oral.

I'd say now is an excellent time to not be flying, and to be writing a Private Pilot syllabus from scratch.

Most of the CFI training is not in the airplane, so you're correct in your recommendation. Forget about the airplane for a while and hit the books.

If you can fly ok from the right seat then I'd spend your time focusing on the ground stuff. To be honest, I don't think I had more than six hours flight time preparing for the initial CFI checkride. Even less for the CFII and MEI add ons. The primary focus of this checkride will be the depth of your knowledge, and most of the ride will be an oral portion anyway.

One thing that should be clarified - in my opinion the CFI checkrides have little to do with actually teaching you to teach. It is more about checking the depth of your knowledge and seeing how well you can communicate. You really learn how to instruct once you start instructing.

As others have said, read the flight instructor PTS. It's all in there telling you what you'll have to do. Once again, the flight maneuvers are just a small part of the CFI checkride (I think my flight was 1.2 hours) but if you really want to know which maneuvers might be on the checkride look at what the weather is doing the day of the ride. If the ceilings are lower you can rule a few maneuvers out. As far as what ground lesson you'll have to teach, that varies with the examiner. It would be good to try connecting with a CFI that has went through the checkride recently with the examiner or inspector you're assigned to.

Last, but not least, it might be worth your time finding an instructor that does a lot of initial CFI work. It will be well worth your time. I got lucky and the local flight school happens to do a lot of them so I didn't have to look too hard.

I agree, what do you think the biggest differences are for a military instructor?

For one they screen their applicants and have aptitude tests before they are allowed in, many folks going for flight slots are already soloed or have a PPL or better from the private sector, my understanding is this gets them some points, or at least that's what some of my old students told me.

As a CFI I get who I get, I can't pick and choose my clients, I also only have them when they are avaliable and they ain't getting PAYING to train, they are not getting paid and bennies to train.

The airline instructors are getting folks who are ALREADY professional pilots.

A CFI could get anyone from a kid who doesn't even have a drivers license yet, to retired engineers, to aspiring career pilots. All have diffrent schedules and all have high expectations, none HAVE to train with me. In many ways being a CFI, especially a freelance CFI, requires you to wear quite a few hats.

For one they screen their applicants and have aptitude tests before they are allowed in, many folks going for flight slots are already soloed or have a PPL or better from the private sector, my understanding is this gets them some points, or at least that's what some of my old students told me.

As a CFI I get who I get, I can't pick and choose my clients, I also only have them when they are avaliable and they ain't getting PAYING to train, they are not getting paid and bennies to train.

The airline instructors are getting folks who are ALREADY professional pilots.

A CFI could get anyone from a kid who doesn't even have a drivers license yet, to retired engineers, to aspiring career pilots. All have diffrent schedules and all have high expectations, none HAVE to train with me. In many ways being a CFI, especially a freelance CFI, requires you to wear quite a few hats.
What you've listed is mostly true but I don't think those things change the instructor's role all that much. There are definitely differences but there are more similarities than differences.

Considering JimNTexas' comment that you responded to, the idea of a syllabus is more relevant in making the distinction between training pilots to be pilots and training instructors to be instructors and less about the differences in military and civilian learning.

I didn't phrase that very well. What I meant was, I am studying the CFI PTS, but don't I need to study the Private and Commercial PTS too? Couldn't I be asked material from those as well?

Caro, you absolutely can be asked about CFI, private, and commercial PTS separately - and you need to know each maneuver and tolerances. Here's another way to go about it - Where will your checkride be? Will it be with the FSDO inspector, or with a DPE? Your instructor should know how CFI rides have been going - and he may have reports from candidates who rode with that person. Ask the CFIs you know what their checkrides were like. You can also talk to the inspector or DPE who does the rides - sometimes they'll tell you what they're looking for. I called several FSDOs beforehand and spoke with the chief instructors about what the rides were like.

The Interwebs have CFI checkride writeups that are useful. PM me and I'd be happy to talk more with you about planning how to teach yourself - I was almost entirely self-started, with the instructor working me over in a new-to-me plane and quizzing me on tolerances and lesson plans.

There's also at least one thread here on CFI checkrides with gory details - some folks had 8-hour orals and 3-hour rides. There were multiple accounts from the FSDO where I did my ride of an instructor failing students for the same issue each time. I made sure to know that one cold. Then the DPE on my CFI ride surprised me by asking for 70 degrees of bank in my steep turns.

It's hard, there's a ton to know, and yes, you can be tested on all of it. But you can fly. If you can learn how to teach the thing that you learned, you should do fine. My sense is that it's just overwhelm, and you should just start teaching. It all makes sense when you tell a first-timer how to rotate and counter P-factor with rudder - and then you see the light bulb go off as you climb out over the trees, and it's all worth it.

PS: you don't have to just borrow students. Borrow pilots who are willing do play dumb, if you must. But - start teaching.

I suppose we taxpayers are wasting money on medical schools also. Doctor wantabes should just shadow a doctor and Google a lot.

Experienced the same thing getting my IFR FW add on to my RW IFR. Since I was a military IP, I guess the CFI thought I knew everything. Kept saying I was doing fine and gave no ground instruction whatsoever. I don't care that I was doing fine, I was paying him good money to give me instruction regardless of my military experience. Check ride with the DPE smooth but I wasn't impressed by the level of instruction and organization of the flight school. School soon went bankrupt after our TA funds stopped paying them.

Last edited:
I suppose we taxpayers are wasting money on medical schools also. Doctor wantabes should just shadow a doctor and Google a lot.

There's a difference between training to do, and being qualified to teach.

A new doc ain't teaching other docs, as a CFI applicant you've already been through checkrides, already been through everything you'll be able to teach others to do, you should be able to find the information, this ain't a ticket to do, it's a ticket to teach others to do what you have already done.

I think you're right and wrong. Airline and military flying is very structured (I have airline experience, repeating what friends that are military have told me) in GA there often isn't much if any structure other than what the CFI creates. So there are two possibilities with this CFI. Either they have no idea how to teach a CFI or they are trying to get the op to handle this process on their own and in the process meet two goals: recognize the value of a structured learning environment and also learn how to provide that structure without anyone's help. Hard to say which it is with the info provided. If it's the latter I think they're going about wrong even though it's well intentioned.

Practical Test Standards. If you didn't know that already, then yeah, I'm thinking your instructor is a bit of a "fail" and I'm not afraid to say so.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/#flightInstructors
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/media/FAA-S-8081-6D.pdf

You should introduce the PTS (actually, the new stuff coming out this summer for private pilots - see: https://rodmachado.com/blogs/learning-to-fly/98240710-the-airman-certification-standards) to your students, as well as the regs that talk about their training right away. EVERY pre-solo student should know what is in 61.87 from about their second flight and that those requirements are their first "milestone." It helps keep both of you accountable.

I found it interesting that there's multiple questions on the CFI exam where the FAA harps on never showing a candidate the PTS until the last three hours of check ride prep. They appear to be trying to make the point that the syllabus and training should lead toward the standard for the check ride, but should not be based on the standard for the check ride. I thought it was a really stupid way to communicate that.

I found it interesting that there's multiple questions on the CFI exam where the FAA harps on never showing a candidate the PTS until the last three hours of check ride prep. They appear to be trying to make the point that the syllabus and training should lead toward the standard for the check ride, but should not be based on the standard for the check ride. I thought it was a really stupid way to communicate that.
I guess I don't remember seeing those questions.

I guess I don't remember seeing those questions.

They're there, I remember seeing them too. It might be something they added more recently, I'm not sure when you did your CFI stuff. I did mine a couple of years back though, and they were in there then.

Back