Lost a prop governor in-flight today...

:rolleyes:

I am half blind so I need to enlarge the print so I can read it properly..

Did you say "

Brian @ S&S AVIATION in Winnsboro South Carolina rents unsafe planes.:dunno:

Personally I would contact the closest FSDO and report to the maintenance inspector what exactly happened to this "certified" plane on your two flights....

Let the chips fall where they may...:yes:
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes Sir, that is pretty much what I am saying.
As you might have noticed, before this I haven't said any names, hoping we can reach an amicable result. I was quite simply shocked when he called me and said "your bill is 16 hours".

I have the pic of the magneto, the videos of the prop issues etc. I'm sending them to the closest FSDO next.

Imagine this: it cost us more than 6 hours worth of rental to get a rental car, hotels etc etc. I rent alot, so I would've been returning (again), and he decides it's good customer service to start calling me a thief and so on.

Had I known this, I would've flown in a big tube back from Houston on that Sunday. Now I get a message at 4AM on Wednesday morning asking what do I want to do. No way I can get back in time for a funeral with any sort of reasonable cost at that time frame, so our only option was to fly. Houston to Winnsboro, SC is a LONG day in a plane you don't 100% trust. With a wife who trusts it even less. And now he expects me to pay for it 100%.

And after all this, I get called a thief, a felon and all sorts of friendly names like that.

Unbelievable.

I live in South Korea. I'll wait for the letter...
I'd at least be writing comments on sites like Airnav and on Foreflight (if you use FF). And make sure he sees them.

Take the time to formalize your documentation now, while everything is still fresh in your mind. Write a report that can be read in small claims court...include the call from the police about the false report of theft.

Already on it ;)

Just got the bill from Enterprise Rent-a-Car today, $393 for 2 nights including all sorts of emergency deliveries etc.
And thats just the rental for 2 days. Not including housing in Houston for 3 nights, lost hotel res in Memphis, and so on...

He's asking me to eat about $150 of my expenses AND pay for every single hour I flew. My offer was in effect to pay for the utility I got from the plane and eat the expenses myself.
In return, I get a call from a police, the owner calls me a thief and so on.

Avoid this place.

Trying to find out some facts who even owns the plane (N47S, Piper Arrow P28R-200). It's obviously registered under S&S Aviation Inc in Delaware. (3511 SILVERSIDE RD STE 105) I don't even know the surname of the "Brian" I'm talking with.

Last edited:
Sometimes as a business owner, one must eat the costs and forego the revenue whether it be for goodwill, to avoid bad publicity or just because it is the right thing to do. It seems this business owner has yet to learn this.

Sometimes as a business owner, one must eat the costs and forego the revenue whether it be for goodwill, to avoid bad publicity or just because it is the right thing to do. It seems this business owner has yet to learn this.

Yep, and as discussed in the other thread, my offer would have left him with a happy customer AND with a bit of profit.
Now he has a ****ed off customer who will never step through his doors again, and absolutely no income at all.

Already on it ;)

Just got the bill from Enterprise Rent-a-Car today, $393 for 2 nights including all sorts of emergency deliveries etc.
And thats just the rental for 2 days. Not including housing in Houston for 3 nights, lost hotel res in Memphis, and so on...

He's asking me to eat about $150 of my expenses AND pay for every single hour I flew. My offer was in effect to pay for the utility I got from the plane and eat the expenses myself.
In return, I get a call from a police, the owner calls me a thief and so on.

Avoid this place.

Trying to find out some facts who even owns the plane (N47S, Piper Arrow P28R-200). It's obviously registered under S&S Aviation Inc in Delaware. (3511 SILVERSIDE RD STE 105) I don't even know the surname of the "Brian" I'm talking with.

And don't forget the charge for having to spend a few days in Texas at this time of year. That is "cruel and unusual punishment!"

I wonder what he would think if he got email from a whole bunch of POAers about this. Dera, can you post that address? I'll send him one.
I'd ask him if he understands what "going viral" means?

Thanks alot for the support and offers to contact them directly. Let's hold that back for a few days, I'll scan the receipts and messages he sent me so we all can see the facts, and go from there...

Last edited:
I will hold off on my email to him....

When I do send it, it will say
"Hi, I am looking to rent a plane and I like to live dangerously... Do you have any where the mags fall off in flight and prop governors fail, only to the replaced by used parts of unknown sources???

Thanks , I am looking forward to crashing one of your planes soon...

Evil Knevial....:D:D

Last edited:
You could add "I also enjoy paying for the extra testing and flying your faulty equipment allowed me to do. I also love when I get stuck in the middle of nowhere, and have to pay for rental cars and other expenses while you send wrong parts to the mechanic. And don't worry about the lost hotel reservations either, they are on me!"
:)

I wonder what he would think if he got email from a whole bunch of POAers about this. Dera, can you post that address? I'll send him one.
I'd ask him if he understands what "going viral" means?

It seems to be that Dera is handling this well enough on his own and doesn't need anything "going viral" to further his cause. By the way, I hate the term "going viral". It seems everyday I hear on the news about a video or story that "goes viral". Such silliness.

Besides, if the business does not seem to care about an actual current customer that he should possibly be trying to retain, do you really think he will give a hoot about a bunch of noncustomers from around the country who likely would never become customers anyway? Our opinions are meaningless to him.

It seems to be that Dera is handling this well enough on his own and doesn't need anything "going viral" to further his cause. By the way, I hate the term "going viral". It seems everyday I hear on the news about a video or story that "goes viral". Such silliness.

Besides, if the business does not seem to care about an actual current customer that he should possibly be trying to retain, do you really think he will give a hoot about a bunch of noncustomers from around the country who likely would never become customers anyway? Our opinions are meaningless to him.

It is ALL the future customers.....

In this day and age, you live and die by people who Google FBO's looking for pireps...;)

It is ALL the future customers.....

In this day and age, you live and die by people who Google FBO's looking for pireps...;)

Given that, and that the names were named in these threads, the damage is done. POA has a top Google ranking for anything aviation. Check it out sometime, POA always makes the first page, and typically the top of the page.

Given that, and that the names were named in these threads, the damage is done. POA has a top Google ranking for anything aviation. Check it out sometime, POA always makes the first page, and typically the top of the page.

Which is way post 81 is in LARGE font...;););););)

Airplanes break sometimes. Even the flanges on magnetos can fail when properly installed because someone else over torqued the nuts, perhaps prior to their ownership.

But the whole way you were treated is inexcusable.

You never owned a business that depends on new customers for survival, have you?

Airplanes break sometimes. Even the flanges on magnetos can fail when properly installed because someone else over torqued the nuts, perhaps prior to their ownership.

But the whole way you were treated is inexcusable.

Exactly right.

A few funny nitbits;

I asked how many hours he would've charged me, had we left the plane to Houston. He said the same 16, because he had to get the plane back home and it's my responsibility.

He also apparently tried to charge the payment card I used last time I rented from there. That card was actually swiped and cloned a few months ago so it's not working anymore. There was an attempt on that card, I'm not 100% sure it was him but it wouldn't surprise me.

My conclusion for this case, I sent him my Korean address, and suggested he should work with the Korean authorities to get the payment from me.

Do you by chance have a copy of a rental contract?
A few funny nitbits;

I asked how many hours he would've charged me, had we left the plane to Houston. He said the same 16, because he had to get the plane back home and it's my responsibility.

He also apparently tried to charge the payment card I used last time I rented from there. That card was actually swiped and cloned a few months ago so it's not working anymore. There was an attempt on that card, I'm not 100% sure it was him but it wouldn't surprise me.

My conclusion for this case, I sent him my Korean address, and suggested he should work with the Korean authorities to get the payment from me.

A few funny nitbits;

Wow! I was minorly inconvenienced once here locally, never complained and the owner refused payment on my next rental. That guy in Carolina is a real piece ... of .... work.

Wow! I was minorly inconvenienced once here locally, never complained and the owner refused payment on my next rental. That guy in Carolina is a real piece ... of .... work.

Yep. Well, that cost him a pretty penny. Originally I suggested I pay for the hours of utility we got(at full rental rate) and I swallow the costs incurred for rental cars, hotels etc. He started calling me all sorts of names, thief being one of the nicer ones.
After that, I told him my offer is off the table.

Do you by chance have a copy of a rental contract?

Not right here, no. The only thing I've signed was back in December for one of the previous trips. It's very short, and pretty much just says I agree to pay what it says on the Hobbs. It says nothing about mechanical issues.

Back