Looking for pilot with an aviation "survival" story to tell

Ryan F.

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan Ferguson 1974
I'm looking to make contact with any pilot who has an aviation "survival" story to tell. By survival, I'm referring to a possible off-airport landing involving having to make do for a period of time waiting for rescue, dealing with the elements, etc. Really anything on the mild to wild scale would do. If you are, or know, someone who might fit the bill, kindly send me a PM here at POA or email me at floridapilot@gmail.com.

There I was on a layover in Corpus Christi, 5-6 blocks away from the layover hotel and landing in a bar, around 3-4 in the afternoon. Special on Fat Tire draft so I had to take advantage of that. Cool place, Surf Club it's called. Rest of my crew I know not where they be, so I suffered thru another Fat Tire draft, waiting on my crew to arrive so we could go to dinner together, doubt creeping in that maybe I had the wrong bar to meet up with them. Well two of them, one of the FAs slam clicked us. Wait, they wouldn't have told me this place so the FO could have some alone time with that new young flirty FA and they're back at the hotel doing wild things while I sit here at the bar...nah they wouldn't do that. Would they? Alrighty now, another Fat Tire in front of me. Whew what's that 3, or is it 4 now. Man I hope they come and rescue me soon, getting a little tipsy.

Whoa, what's this? Man people rolling in, oh quitting time downtown. Wow, look at that table with 3 hotties looking my way. Is that the Eagle's "Take It Easy" they selected on the juke box? Nah gotta be a coincidence right? Whoa the brunette just winked at me and gave me that 'come here big boy' look. The crew where the hell are they, rescue me before I, well you know. Oh well, another Fat Tire and I go over to their table and the brunette pulls out a chair for me to sit down. Waiter appears, so I order a round for the ladies, and what the hell, another Fat Tire draft. Man it's going down too easy, should've got something to eat earlier. Oh we're having fun now, girls telling some wild stories. We're all laughing, having a great time. Brunette asks me if I've ever been with 3 women at once! Holy cow, is she serious? She suggests the 4 of us go back to my room. Wait, how'd they know I was staying at a hotel? Did I tell them that?

Well I'm ready I tell them, so we finish our drinks and stumble (well me at least) and head out for the hotel, me not believing this is gonna happen to me. As we get outside the bar there's my crew! Hey sorry we're late man, ready to go eat dinner they say? What! Not now I think. I turn and see the 3 ladies walk off to their car, laughing their asses off at me. Oh well, nice thought anyway, but the crew rescued me so off we go to dinner.

Wonder if the restaurant has Fat Tire on draft...

Last edited:
There I was on a layover in Corpus Christi, 5-6 blocks away from the layover hotel and landing in a bar, around 3-4 in the afternoon. Special on Fat Tire draft so I had to take advantage of that. Cool place, Surf Club it's called. Rest of my crew I know not where they be, so I suffered thru another Fat Tire draft, waiting on my crew to arrive so we could go to dinner together, doubt creeping in that maybe I had the wrong bar to meet up with them. Well two of them, one of the FAs slam clicked us. Wait, they wouldn't have told me this place so the FO could have some alone time with that new young flirty FA and they're back at the hotel doing wild things while I sit here at the bar...nah they wouldn't do that. Would they? Alrighty now, another Fat Tire in front of me. Whew what's that 3, or is it 4 now. Man I hope they come and rescue me soon, getting a little tipsy.

Whoa, what's this? Man people rolling in, oh quitting time downtown. Wow, look at that table with 3 hotties looking my way. Is that the Eagle's "Take It Easy" they selected on the juke box? Nah gotta be a coincidence right? Whoa the brunette just winked at me and gave me that 'come here big boy' look. The crew where the hell are they, rescue me before I, well you know. Oh well, another Fat Tire and I go over to their table and the brunette pulls out a chair for me to sit down. Waiter appears, so I order a round for the ladies, and what the hell, another Fat Tire draft. Man it's going down too easy, should've got something to eat earlier. Oh we're having fun now, girls telling some wild stories. We're all laughing, having a great time. Brunette asks me if I've ever been with 3 women at once! Holy cow, is she serious? She suggests the 4 of us go back to my room. Wait, how'd they I was staying at a hotel? Did I tell them that?

Well I'm ready I tell them, so we finish our drinks and stumble (well me at least) and head out for the hotel, me not believing this is gonna happen to me. As we get outside the bar there's my crew! Hey sorry we're late man, ready to go eat dinner they say? What! Not now I think. I turn and see the 3 ladies walk off to their car, laughing their asses off at me. Oh well, nice thought anyway, but the crew rescued me so off we go to dinner.
I opened two threads at once and somehow got them confused and thought this was a response to the female nazi helicopter pilot thread. I must say, my mind was racing as I read this story trying to figure out the relationship.....

I was in 'remedial swim' for awhile at AOCS in Pensacola. That tread water/drownproofing, mile swim, and a few other requirements almost did me in. My D.I. threatened a styrofoam enema. I could swim just fine, but I wasn't no otter.

Any thought of crashing in the remote bush(survival story) would be to tragic to bring up. It could trigger one into a PTSD episode.

Good stuff, guys! Not quite what I was looking for, but funny nonetheless!

I once had emergency landing at an abandoned airstrip without cellphone coverage(and nothing else for that matter). It was a 12,000ft strip on the chart so I was expecting full services but on short final I noticed there was no town. And once on the ground, the grass on the ramp was knee high and the hangars looked abandoned. For a while, I felt like I was in a Twighlight Zone episode. I was rather tempted to try to take back off but decided against it. I ended up finding a lady that lived nearby, and she gave me an 1.5 hour ride to the nearest city.

I have one, that spanned a whole TWELVE HOURS!!! But, at least it involved a deserted island:

In my younger/crazier days, I was given a book by a friend when that friend found out that I had a pilot's license. The book, "In the Shadow of Eagles", is about Rudy Billberg, a barnstormer-turned Alaskan Bush pilot. After reading the book, I was convinced that I could be a bush pilot too (mind you, without any training...like I said, younger/crazier days). I first sold my experimental Tri-Q2, and then after getting my tailwheel endorsement, bought a 1943 Taylorcraft L2M. I then went out and spent a few months of practice flying from grass strips, and actually got pretty good at take offs and landings using only a few hundred feet of turf.
Problem is, I live(d) in Michigan, where there are not many bush pilot strips or opportunities...so, I decided to "create my own opportunity". I started scouring maps and satellite photos for off-field landing opportunities. I finally found a possible dirt strip: the long sandbar peninsula of the State of Michigan owned High Island:

upload_2017-10-6_14-50-41.png

I decided, one January day, that the long sandbar on the northeast corner of the island (top right in the photo) would be a perfect landing strip. I headed out there almost immediately, and I did all the things that Rudy Billberg wrote about, before I landed. I flew low over the sandbar, looking for large rocks or obstructions. I judged that the distance was long enough. I came down and dragged the sandbar, briefly touching down so my wheels could feel the firmness of the ground (there was no snow that particular winter, but there was cold and ice all around). And finally, I landed, coming to a stop with lots of room to spare. I didn't stay long, but when I left I was excited for summer, because I planned to return and spend a long weekend on the island exploring.
Finally, summer came, and one early June day I headed back to the island. What I didn't realize was that during the winter, the sandbar had frozen solid, but now, it was so soft that I later found out that even walking on the sandbar would be difficult.
This time, I even had my dog with me, seat belted (fortunately) in the back seat...btw, you flew the Taylorcraft solo from the front seat...I also had camping gear, etc. Anyway, this time, I thought I had already done all the "tests" that a bush pilot should do for an off-field landing, so I just set up on the sandbar on a long final, intent to just land. When those wheels touched the sand, I remember a noise that sounded like a bomb went off, and I later estimated that from touchdown to stop was less than ten feet. I was stunned by the abruptness of the "instant stop", but when I gained my senses and looked outside, it seemed very likely to me that I had ripped my landing gear off, because the normal view looking out the window now was about 3 feet "lower". In fact, I even had a hard time opening the door, because the door (which normally was 2 or 3 feet above ground) was now HITTING THE GROUND!
I shut the engine down (the prop WAS still turning),I got out, got my dog out, and just started laughing. I'm not sure why I laughed...maybe because I was alive, or I was screwed, or I don't know. But I just laughed, while my dog ran down the beach chasing seagulls, oblivious to the problem I had just created for the both of us, being on a deserted island at least 6 miles from the next nearest human being, with my expensive airplane seemingly wrecked where it may have to be left behind. As I walked around the plane laughing and looking at my total F up, I realized three things: the landing gear was still there (just hidden/buried in the loose sand), the aluminum prop was still there and actually looked great (it dug a nice hole in the sand), and if I walked and labored through the dry sand over to the wet sand, the consistency of the sand went from a virtual dry quick sand to something close to hard pavement.
I spent the next 10 hours or so making fulcrums from logs on the beach and in the island, digging out and wedged the plane onto logs, moving it inches at a time, until I had finally moved it about 20 feet from the dry sand, over to the wet sand. Only problem was, taking off on the wet sand was going to be like taking off on a curving, banked, sidewalk. The wet area of the sand ran along the beach, curving in and out amongst the small dunes, and was at most eight feet wide. The water dropped off very steeply on the left, the dunes rose very steeply on the right. It took me two attempts to get lifted off, the first time running the plane into the dune which forced me to start over, fulcruming the plane back onto the wet sand. When I finally got the plane lifted off, I literally looked down, and gave the island the finger.

Last edited:
I have lasted longer than some of the companies I have worked for.

I hear that. A few of my former companies are no longer in existence at all and others went through bankruptcy but emerged okay but under a different name and management.

Back in the days of flying cargo in turboprops through the Caribbean based in Miami I had a run on a Friday from Miami to Tocumen airport next to the Panama Canal Zone. About a hundred or so miles south of Jamaica the left engine decided to take a vacation. The weather in Panama sucked that day about 200 OVC with 1/2 mile vis and forecast to remain that way or get worse. Our divert airports would be Cayman Islands (hotel there next to the airport and expensive food nearby and NOT close to the beach), Kingston (nice hotel but quiet close to Port Royal) or Montego Bay (hotel just across the street from the beaches with plenty of bars and close to the topless beach). I knew our maintenance was in Pensacola working on a broke plane and they wouldn't be able to get to us until Monday. Question for upgrade to Captain, where would you divert?
We went to Montego Bay and hit the hotel. On Monday 2 guys showed up to fix the plane. It was late in the day when they finished so they went to the hotel with us. Somehow by Tuesday morning they found other problems. It was Thursday before we left with 20 cases of Red Stripe beer in the back.

Got a trip starting tomorrow. Let me get back to you

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone... and the laughs... good stuff.

Couple of interesting stories here too, and I may send a PM or too to follow up on those. They're not exactly what I'm looking for to support the "General Aviation Survival" TOM but could be great stories for other topics.

To add a little more specificity, I'm looking for a light piston GA pilot who endured a survival aspect of a crash or similar incident (off-airport landing), relatively recently, i.e. within the last 5 or so years, who could speak personally about the tale and answer questions about survival gear and tactics, what they would or wouldn't do differently, lessons learned, etc.

Accounts which have been previously written about or famous in some way aren't quite what I'm looking for. But again, I really appreciate the tips!

Ryan--

I heard an account at a weekend seminar last week about a pilot in Minnesota who flew into Canada for work and back, cleared US customs and departed for home. He had intermittent headaches all day, which he attributed to the stress of the international flight, customs, etc. On his last leg home, after dark, during intial climb (WOT, Prop full, Full Rich, trimmed for 110-120 mph), he passed out from CO poisoning.

He went through the Minneapolis Class B unresponsive, around 12,000-12,700 msl, as high as his plane would climb while running full rich, and higher than he had filed for. Somewhere south of there, but not too far, the selected tank ran dry a d the plane came down. Best glide is 105 mph. The last thing he remembered was talking to ATC in the climb; when he came around, he tried contacting them again without response. Then he noticed how clear the windshield was, reached out tomtouch it and it wasn't there . . . He figured out he was in a snow-covered field, temps around 0°F or a little below; his hat and gloves on the right seat were gone. Tried and failed to get into his Carhartt coveralls, and floundered around in the snow as his head continued to clear. He was on the ground for 30 minutes before regaining consciousness.

He eventually reached a farmhouse, going through the treeline, with frostbite on his hands and assorted minor injuries. His entire survival kit was either missing or useless with his freezing fingers. Because he was IFR (in beautiful clear skies), people, cars, planes and helicopters were out looking for him, but he had no way to contact or signal them.

Two minutes after he scared the farmers by beating on their window, the sheriff was there, then the helicopter to the hospital. It was an amazing story! His wife made a few contributions throughout. The hospital put him in a hyperbaric chamber to recover, as several hours after the accident the CO level in his blood was still 14%.

Watch this Trailer:

He was flying a trike so his paraglider friend could jump off at altitude (instead of having to launch and catch thermals up to altitude). When the friend jumped off, something on the paraglider caught the trike, causing the trike wing to snap and the trike falling towards the ground. The full story is an hour long... if the trailer piqued your interest, watch the full video (1 hour, with subtitles):

If you want a hint of how he's doing now - I did a tandem paragliding flight with him two weeks ago here in Argentina.

Wow, amazing story. Enjoyed that. Thanks, camel.

Back