Looking for new North Jersey flight school

NJFlyingDreams

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NJFlyingDreams
Hey, folks. I'm a student at Fischer Aviation in NJ, the school owned by one of the two victims in the tragic crash near Sussex a couple of weeks ago. It looks like the school is closing now, and if I'm going to continue my training, I need to find a new school / instructor.

Setting aside the question of whether I *should* continue -- though Tom wasn't my direct CFI, it's very jarring to have your school's lead instructor in a fatal aviation accident -- any recommendations for schools or private instructors in the Caldwell / Morristown / Lincoln Park vicinity? I'm about 30 minutes from both KCDW and KMMU. I searched these forums; the most recent recs were from 2016 or so and I'd love a more recent referral. I took one intro flight at Air Fleet a couple of months ago and was reasonably impressed but want to consider all my options.

Only aiming for my PPL here; no commercial ambitions. I've got 22 hours of flight time, just got my student license and felt like I was really starting to get into the swing of things. If I do decide to continue, I don't want to delay too long.

Thanks!

Definitely look at Air Fleet Aviation (KCDW) again - I've done training at Certified Flyers (KMMU) and Air Fleet, and it's a total no-brainer for me - Air Fleet is much better on every dimension (nicer people, better hardware, larger fleet, etc.).

I have a suggestion that is a bit outside of the box and possibly outside your comfort zone.

Find a few of the other students plus at least one CFI, and explore the possibility of buying one or more of the flight school planes to form a flying club. I am of course assuming that there are several students in the same situation as you, at least one CFI who still wants to teach, and that the school’s planes will be for sale.

That is indeed an intriguing possibility. I've been in communication with one other student, and at least one of the instructors is out looking for work. Maybe that could work!

(Any other former Fischer students here, feel free to DM me...)
I have a suggestion that is a bit outside of the box and possibly outside your comfort zone.

Find a few of the other students plus at least one CFI, and explore the possibility of buying one or more of the flight school planes to form a flying club. I am of course assuming that there are several students in the same situation as you, at least one CFI who still wants to teach, and that the school’s planes will be for sale.

If you like your CFI, what is he/she going to do? If they're going to another school, you could just follow them.

Back