Looking for a tablet suction cup mount. Don't want to spend millions

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
I typically order stuff like this from Amazon cuz I can return it if it's not right. I have a 10" tablet and want to do what almost everyone else does and have it stuck to the inside of my pax door window with the tablet in portrait orientation.

Reviews, or what to avoid? Sources other than Amazon would be most helpful.

I don't know about others, but I have never experienced a reliable, long duration, suction mount of anything... Personally, I would not trust such when possible turbulence and IFR.

Is a suction mount necessary? I have a RAM yoke mount, very solid design and it works great.

I got a suction mount for an ipad mini which is more like a 7" tablet and I couldn't find anywhere in the cockpit where I didn't feel like it was in the way of something so I just keep the thing in the map pocket.

Welcome Marley. Necessary covers a lot of ground. I have a plane with a throw-over yoke. I WANT a suction cup mount. I WANT to spend a modest amount of money, so RAM products are basically out.

My yoke position tends to be fairly low because I keep it in the lower setting so I can view the panel well, and it's comfortable when I rest my arm on the armrest.

Hoping to find someone who has bought a ~$20 unit, and had decent success with it.

I have a Ram Mount for iPad mini that is suction mounted. Works pretty good, most of the time. I mount it on the windshield just to the left of the glareshield on my C182. The only problem I have is it occasonally falls off. So I now always remove, and remount it before everyflight. However, depending upon the tempature, it sometimes falls off in flight regardless.

I got a suction mount for an ipad mini which is more like a 7" tablet and I couldn't find anywhere in the cockpit where I didn't feel like it was in the way of something so I just keep the thing in the map pocket.

*sigh*

I have the perfect place for my nexus 7".... if I were 20 years younger. But now it's inside my (ever increasing) close focus limit. I'd either need to move it out (and in a Mooney, there aren't many options) or get bi-focals or something. Arrg.

Yeah, already got the bifocals, doc says trifocals in 3 years - which is why it's a 10" and not one of those iPhone deals on the yoke. I guess with the trifocals, I could go to one of the small units on the yoke. lol

Getting ready TBO try the ram ,two suction cup mount for the IPad Air .have a suction cup mount for the stratus,works like a charm.

I don't know about others, but I have never experienced a reliable, long duration, suction mount of anything... Personally, I would not trust such when possible turbulence and IFR.
Interesting. I flew for years in Colorado with a suction mounted handheld GPS (including in some fun lee side mountain turbulence). Now I use a combination yoke/suction mount for my 10" iPad (contrary to what MAKG asserts). So far no problem in either case.

The best suction mounts seem to come from RAM and G-Force.

*sigh*

I have the perfect place for my nexus 7".... if I were 20 years younger. But now it's inside my (ever increasing) close focus limit. I'd either need to move it out (and in a Mooney, there aren't many options) or get bi-focals or something. Arrg.
Don't know if it helps any but I use a yoke mounted 10" iPad in a M20j (and a Warrior and a 172 and a...) with no issues. The non-standard thing I did was to use a suction mount on the iPad end. It gives a bit more in the way of placement options

BTW get the bifocals or better yet progressives. Once (if, according to some) your eyes get used to them, it will be a non issue. And tell the optometrist exactly what you are using them for in terms of flying. They can often adjust the transitions to accommodate.

Last edited:
Don't know if it helps any but I use a yoke mounted 10" iPad in a M20j (and a Warrior and a 172 and a...) with no issues. The non-standard thing I did was to use a suction mount on the iPad end. It gives a bit more in the way of placement options

BTW get the bifocals or better yet progressives. Once (if, according to some) your eyes get used to them, it will be a non issue. And tell the optometrist exactly what you are using them for in terms of flying. They can often adjust the transitions to accommodate.

Huh. I need to make a cardboard template the size of a 10" tablet and go play with it, then. I just assumed it wouldn't fit. I'm not fat, but I do sit close... so you found a way to place it that doesn't hide the HSI? I'm definitely going to try this, because a 10" would make a lot of things easier, and it's annoying when someone sits on my desk (right seat).

The glasses are coming. I need to do that soonish, since I doubt I'll pass the next medical without them. What I need are new eyes. C'mon science... make with the advancements already.

For me, the iPad mini works better on the yoke than the full-sized version. I use the iPro Navigator to mount it. It uses standard RAM hardware so the yoke connector can be easily replaced with a suction cup or glare shield connector.

iPro-Navigator-C182.jpg

Huh. I need to make a cardboard template the size of a 10" tablet and go play with it, then. I just assumed it wouldn't fit. I'm not fat, but I do sit close... so you found a way to place it that doesn't hide the HSI? I'm definitely going to try this, because a 10" would make a lot of things easier, and it's annoying when someone sits on my desk (right seat).
Yeah, the Mini probably works better fit-wise (I have a 7" Android tablet in addition to the iPad) but, like you, I prefer the full-size. And my biggest placement issue was the flight instruments, especially for IFR.

That's where the suction on the iPad end comes into play. If found the iPad cradles were too limited in their movements, making the iPad too high and blocking the HSI. The suction mount allowed me more options, mostly vertically where less than an inch or so extra made a difference.

I mention this often enough I should probably take a few photos, especially of the instrument panel from my eye-level view.

Beechtalk has two threads on mini and full size Ipad mounts. I tried a G-Force on a Nexus 7 and the Nexus would drop off about once an hour. A mini owner states no problems so it may be the difference between the two backs.

Price isn't bad and I don't think there is a problem returning. Seller was helpful via emails.

http://www.gforcemount.com/GF165.htm

I was debating moving up to a 10" but the 7 worked better than expected mounted in front of the Deb's pilot window.

Ram double suction cup is the way to go and if you have a curved window then go down to the hardware store and buy a 1/8 x 1" piece of aluminum bar and drill a few holes in it, mount the 1" ball and 2 suction mounts to it then bend the aluminum to fit the window curve. This worked great. But now I prefer to have my mini yoke mounted.

I gave up on finding cheap mounts ( been through a few of them) and now I just go with the ram mount and you can us them for a lot of stuff if you accumulate pieces ...kind of like an erector set.

I even made a temporary rear view mirror for my jeep that Mounts to the hinge when the doors are off.

It may be a more expensive option but more universal and the warranty is great if you break something.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To answer the original post: I have experimented with a number of suction mounts. The three that I like the best are two from RAM and one that is somewhat ubiquitous, often pitched as a mount for the GoPro.

RAM's original suction cup is a bit bulky for my taste, but has a flat mounting area that takes RAM balls or other things. http://www.amazon.com/Mounts-3-25in...F8&qid=1405262271&sr=8-1&keywords=ram+suction

I like RAM's newer, less bulky, mount better but it has an integral molded 1" ball, so adapting it to anything else takes some work. http://www.amazon.com/Mount-Suction...F8&qid=1405262271&sr=8-2&keywords=ram+suction

I like the "GoPro" mount the best, but it is the most difficult to adapt to other hardware. http://www.amazon.com/Gopromate-Suc...&qid=1405262237&sr=8-5&keywords=gopro+suction

Note that these are all suction mounts that mechanically pull a vacuum underneath the "cup." I think that is essential for a mount that can be relied on. The only times I have had trouble with this type of mount is when I have tried to attach to a windshield with some curve to it. With anything near flat and with a little attention to cleanliness of the mating surfaces, I've found the mounts to be solid.

Re where to mount, on most airplanes I mount my Nexus 7 on the side window. There it is right under my nose so the screen size is effectively larger than a 10" tablet on my knee. Also, it is almost always possible to mount it so that nothing on the panel is blocked and the tablet is well below my sight line so it doesn't reduce "see and avoid" either. There are a few airplanes where I've found the corner of the windshield to be a good place for the suction cup, but of course it has to be fairly flat for reliable attachment.

I usually buy from gpscity.com. I've found them to have good stock, fast shipping, and competitive prices. Just a happy customer, no other interests in their success.

Beechtalk has two threads on mini and full size Ipad mounts. I tried a G-Force on a Nexus 7 and the Nexus would drop off about once an hour. A mini owner states no problems so it may be the difference between the two backs.
Definitely a possibility. The suction mounts work best on a smooth surface. On my iPad set-up, my iPad has one of those smart cover-compatible smooth backings so I don't have to worry about breaks due to the Apple logo.

I mention this often enough I should probably take a few photos, especially of the instrument panel from my eye-level view.
Ended up going to the airport to check on something. This is my view of the instrument panel - the camera is right in front of my eyes. I do, of course; have to glance down at the iPad, just as I would with paper. Works for me; I don't guarantee it for anyone else.

Attachments

• iPadSuctionMount_650.jpg
    iPadSuctionMount_650.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 26
That looks like a Mooney. :)

How tall are you? I'm 6'.

[edit: D'oh! A post snuck in between this one and the one by Mark above. ]

Sounds like I'm gonna pony up for a RAM brand.

sigh....

Meh - less for my kids when I croak -- in 60 years or so.

Eddie, if I get over to GA, will ya gimme a ride in that contraption? The view is to die for.

Docmirror sounds like you have a Bonanza? I'm looking for a mount for mine too. I keep the yoke in the lower position for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 10" ipad and I use the Ram yoke mount but I invert the ipad (inverted portrait) part so that the button is at the top. In that config it blocks less panel (carb temp mostly). I like it front and center.

Here's a secret I learned from another pilot for mounting the RAM suction cup mount on my the side of my windshield holding an iPad mini: Go for a fun flight with a friend, and get up to a pretty decent altitude (above 6k ft) and put the mount on at altitude. Hasn't fallen off the windshield yet since I did that. BTW the RAM product is solid and well made.

Here's a secret I learned from another pilot for mounting the RAM suction cup mount on my the side of my windshield holding an iPad mini: Go for a fun flight with a friend, and get up to a pretty decent altitude (above 6k ft) and put the mount on at altitude. Hasn't fallen off the windshield yet since I did that. BTW the RAM product is solid and well made.

Excellent. Thank you. I will order one tomorrow. I'm thinking of the kind with the base that just stays on the window, and then remove the fingers part and take home.

Back