Long Island to Points South

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
I'm looking into a possible trip to the northeast to visit friends and family in various areas. As part of way-in-advance planning, I'm curious what sort of IFR clearance and routing (knowing the two can be very different) I can expect coming from, say, KISP on Long Island going southward in a single-engine airplane. Interested mostly in those who have some regular experience in the area.

I've seen some routes in FltPlan that are essentially V16 all the way down to Richmond, VA and wonder how "real" those are in actual practice.

What are you going to be flying? Most direct will be over the water.from mass its v139 down to sea isle. If your in a single they like to give you v16v1 going south. have also been given direct kfka direct colts neck join v1.

What are you going to be flying? Most direct will be over the water.from mass its v139 down to sea isle. If your in a single they like to give you v16v1 going south. have also been given direct kfka direct colts neck join v1.
It's a single and am not interested in the direct over a long stretch of water. As I mentioned, the v16 routing is one I've seen, and it would work fine.

Thanks for the confirmation that this is a real routing.

I fly out of Islip and it's almost always V1 V16 and pretty straight forward. It's either direct JFK or Deer Park and on to V1. Sometimes they'll mention the Canarsie VOR which always throws me for a loop as it's very seldom used and I always forget it's even there. I think they are used to that as they always give the frequency for it.

Thank John. Looking at the chart, I see it and it makes makes a lot of sense. I know the NY airspace can get, let's say "interesting" so wanted a local perspective. What altitude is typical to keep you away from the JFK traffic? And is it essentially the same routing coming into ISP from the south?

Look at the TEC routes in the back of the AFD. You're most likely going to get one of those. I fly out of FRG and if their is a TEC route available, you're going to get it. If you are heading towards the SE, JFK will likely be a fix in your clearance. When I fly to ACY from FRG, I get radar vectors to JFK as the first fix and I'm usually climbing to 6,000.

Last edited:
Concur -- you're going to get the TEC routing, which is DPK V16 JFK V1 CYN out of ISP or just JFK V1 CYN out of FRG and then either V16 or V1, depending on where you're going. Been doing this for the last 24 years. If you're departing FRG, count being issued the Farmingdale 4, and if you aren't making 6000 feet well before JFK, you'll get vectored north/northwest until you do.

I'm familiar with the routing over JFK to the south - I always get it from Westchester and just got it coming from NH.

What do you get when heading south to north? I know going into Westchester it's low, <4k over Jersey. Do they do anything different going into Long Island?

I'm familiar with the routing over JFK to the south - I always get it from Westchester and just got it coming from NH.

What do you get when heading south to north? I know going into Westchester it's low, <4k over Jersey. Do they do anything different going into Long Island?
South to North, I'll usually get 5,000 and get vectored towards FRG when I'm 10 miles from JFK. If you are heading to ISP, I'd imagine they'll give you JFK to DPK

Look at the TEC routes in the back of the AFD. You're most likely going to get one of those. I fly out of FRG and if their is a TEC route available, you're going to get it. If you are heading towards the SE, JFK will likely be a fix in your clearance. When I fly to ACY from FRG, I get radar vectors to JFK as the first fix and I'm usually climbing to 6,000.
Yeah, I know. But since my destination is not part of a city pair, I'd still have to figure out what destination would be appropriate and decided not to just put in "ISP" in the online preferred route database and ask here.

Of course, having received the responses here, I cross-checked against the online database (which includes both Preferred and TEC routes. It was sheer coincidence that in my original post I mentioned Richmond VA since it is a part of a city pair with ISP on the group of 6000 MSL ISP CCC V16 routing specified for SE aircraft.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. But since my destination is not part of a city pair, I'd still have to figure out what destination would be appropriate and decided not to just put in "ISP" in the online preferred route database and ask here.

Of course, having received the responses here, I cross-checked against the online database (which includes both Preferred and TEC routes. It was sheer coincidence that in my original post I mentioned Richmond VA since it is a part of a city pair with ISP on the group of 6000 MSL ISP CCC V16 routing specified for SE aircraft.
The city pairs don't always have to match. If you pick a city pair close to your departure and destination airports, the TEC routes will be more or less be the same

Yeah, the V16 JFK is a normal single engine route. In the twin they'll always route you V139, singles always V16.

Once you get to PXT area you can often times ask for (and get) direct. Before that, don't even bother, you won't get it.

Yeah, the V16 JFK is a normal single engine route. In the twin they'll always route you V139, singles always V16.

Once you get to PXT area you can often times ask for (and get) direct. Before that, don't even bother, you won't get it.
Thanks Ted. I had a good idea that once I get well south of the area, I can get an amended clearance; that's why my question was about "points south" rather than to a specific destination. It was mostly about getting practical information on getting out of he NY area. At this point, I'd probably file the V16 route down to RIC and not be too worried about the rest.

I have lots of friends and family in the area so you folks "demistifying" it is very helpful.

Last edited:
I used to fly those airways pretty much every weekend with an Aztec full of dogs. Good times. :yes:

Any time you're looking at TEC or preferred routes and your specific destination isn't listed, you can look at routes to nearby destinations and get a feel for what will work for the unlisted destination. FRG is located about halfway between JFK and ISP. If you look at the TEC routes into those two listed destinations, you'll see essentially the same routing. For Kennedy it's V1 JFK, and for Islip it's V1 JFK V16 CCC, which goes right over top of FRG. So, V1 JFK or V1 JFK V16 DPK will get you to that point south of JFK where they start vectoring you.

Back