Logging time in another ICAO country, with safety pilot

camel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Camel
Hi everyone,

I'll be in Argentina (an ICAO country) for another 6 months. I have a PPL from the US. While I'm here in Argentina, I'd like to build some PIC hours (it's for a type rating I'd like to get in a few years, which requires 1000 hours total time). Getting a PPL here is a big hassle because I'd need to get a lot of documents apostillized, legalized, etc, which will take months.

But I had another idea, since the dollar is strong and flight instructors here are cheap - I could just rent the (ICAO legal) plane and go up with an approved instructor as a safety pilot. So I would be flying the plane. My question is, if I do this, can I legally log the time as PIC time?

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Argentina (an ICAO country) for another 6 months. I have a PPL from the US. While I'm here in Argentina, I'd like to build some PIC hours (it's for a type rating I'd like to get in a few years, which requires 1000 hours total time). Getting a PPL here is a big hassle because I'd need to get a lot of documents apostillized, legalized, etc, which will take months.

But I had another idea, since the dollar is strong and flight instructors here are cheap - I could just rent the (ICAO legal) plane and go up with an approved instructor as a safety pilot. So I would be flying the plane. My question is, if I do this, can I legally log the time as PIC time?

Sure thing. Even if you're not acting as PIC you can log it as P-I-C time in your logbook, provided you're rated in category and class of aircraft (regardless of its registration).

For US purposes you can log time when you are the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which you are rated with your private certificate. It matters not if you have another pilot or instructor along for the ride (whether they are giving instruction or not). Of course, you and the dummy pilot (I hesitate to use the term safety pilot as that is something that only applies to simulated instrument flight in the US) had better make sure you are complying with Argentina's air rules in your operation.

Can't you get a 90 day provisional there based on your US certificate?

You're braver than I am. I would not rent an Argentinian registered airplane.

The purpose of logging time is to meet qualifications. So, if the qualifications you are trying to meet are US FAA qualifications, you log it under US FAA rules. Doesn't matter where you are.

If you are trying to qualify for some Argentina pilot privilege, you need to speak with someone who knows their rules.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are asking?

Thank you everyone for the answers. It looks like I'm ok from the US side, now I just need to see if the flight school here is up for it.

The purpose of logging time is to meet qualifications. So, if the qualifications you are trying to meet are US FAA qualifications, you log it under US FAA rules. Doesn't matter where you are.

If you are trying to qualify for some Argentina pilot privilege, you need to speak with someone who knows their rules.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are asking?

Yep, you understood correctly. I'm just trying to build hours for a longer-term goal in the US of getting a type rating which requires 1000 hours. And generally to keep in practice while I'm away. Thanks again everyone.

Back