Logging pic for ifr xc while training

rookie1255

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rookie1255
On the long IFR XC with CFII can I log PIC XC time and have it count towards the instrument rating requirements since i'm sole manipulator of controls, or not because I'm not instrument rated and can only be PIC on an IFR flight plan if instrument rated?

On the long IFR XC with CFII can I log PIC XC time and have it count towards the instrument rating requirements since i'm sole manipulator of controls,
This

Its PIC cross country. Instrument rating has nothing to do with it.

Yes, you can log the cross country time. The CFII will be "acting" as PIC when on an IFR clearance but you can still log it under the sole manipulator regulation.

The applicable regulation is...

61.51 -- Pilot logbooks
(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time.
(1) A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights-
(i) When the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated​

You can certainly log it, and this is why I recommend working on your IR as soon as you get your PPL. I got my IR as soon as I possibly could, since I wanted to actually go places.

As long as you are rated in the aircraft, you can log PIC whether you are VFR, IFR, VMC, or IMC.

Back