Logging Cross Country Time for 50hr CC IFR Requirement

rkiefer2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rkiefer2
Tried searching the web for this and didn't find what Im looking for. Im totaling up my cross county hours and curious about the few cross country hours I took with my CFI as a student for my PPL.

Since I was a student receiving dual instruction I assume my cross country time does not count towards my 50hrs of CC for the IFR. I believe I was PIC, but since I did NOT have my PPL I assume that because I'm wasn't rated those hours don't count.

Can someone chime in here on how PPL student CC hours, over 50NM, count towards the IFR requirement 61.65 for the 50hrs?

Since I was a student receiving dual instruction I assume my cross country time does not count towards my 50hrs of CC for the IFR. I believe I was PIC, but since I did NOT have my PPL I assume that because I'm wasn't rated those hours don't count.

Your assumption about the hours not counting is correct. Your belief that you were PIC is not correct. A student pilot can only be PIC, and can only log PIC, when solo.

So your student pilot solo cross-country hours can count, but not the dual ones.

Thanks.

The reason I ask is Im switching to an electronic logbook, and don't see the value in even logging the dual CC as a student PPL in the cross country column. This muddies up that column and could make it look fictitiously higher than it really is.

Thanks.

The reason I ask is Im switching to an electronic logbook, and don't see the value in even logging the dual CC as a student PPL in the cross country column. This muddies up that column and could make it look fictitiously higher than it really is.
Hmmm. You may want to rethink that. You need dual cross country as part of the PPL requirements.

Thanks.

Doesn't the electronic logbook you will be using have a feature to calculate XC PIC time?

Doesn't the electronic logbook you will be using have a feature to calculate XC PIC time?
Good point. The biggest value of an electronic log is calculating things. Hard to imagine any eLog more sophisticated than simply mimicking a paper one not doing as basic a query as that.

Keep it all logged. Though only CC PIC time counts toward your instrument requirements, I would recommend tabbing your logbook (if using paper) to show all the PIC CC time you have for your DPE. I'm currently in that zone of building up CC PIC time as well and I believe I'll just tab my paper log book even though I also have an electronic log book going. Making the DPE's job easier I think will make my life easier!

There was a change in the rules back in 1997. It used to be that no student cross country time could count for the 50 hour requirement. After the rules changed, your student solo XC time does indeed meet the requirements for the instrument rating.

Back