Logging Actual (IMC) Time With Two Pilots

LastXdeth

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LastXdeth
Let's say me (an IFR-rated and current pilot) and a friend (an IFR-rated but NOT CURRENT pilot) wanted to file and go up together in actual IMC (no hood or foggles). I want him to do most of the flying just so he can have fun in the clouds. Neither of us are CFIs/CFIIs

Would he be able to log instrument time, even though he isn't IFR current? I assume we both can't log instrument time at the same time. It has to be one or other? Also, would he be able to log an approach for his currency (assuming he breaks out the clouds after the FAF)?

I also believe that I wouldn't be able act a safety pilot in actual IMC, but would my friend still be able to log PIC time in IMC since he is the sole manipulator of the controls even though he isn't current?

I do understand that as the only current IFR pilot, I am legally the sole acting PIC of the flight. I'm just asking about how to log the time.

FAR 61.51 contains the rules for logging. Don't read anything into it that isn't there.

You're clear on who will be acting as PIC for the flight and what is required to be the acting PIC. That's good, and none of that has anything to do with FAR 61.51 and logging.

Actually, as long as he has a view limiting device on, a safety pilot is required regardless of the meteorological conditions.

Only the person actually flying can log instrument time (other than instructors giving instruction). That person doesn't necessarily need to be legal to be PIC or be PIC.

Actually, as long as he has a view limiting device on, a safety pilot is required regardless of the meteorological conditions.
This doesn't sound quite right. If it's IMC, then a safety pilot is not a required crew member, no?

This doesn't sound quite right. If it's IMC, then a safety pilot is not a required crew member, no?
14 CFR 91.109(c) requires a safety pilot whenever a person operates an aircraft in simulated instrument flight. My understanding is that the FAA considers a person to be engaging in simulated instrument flight whenever a view-limiting device is worn, regardless of weather conditions.

Last edited:
It only makes sense. How is it assured the aircraft is still in actual conditions if the pilot is hooded. You must have a visual lookout for compliance with see-and-avoid when the pilot is so compromised.

It only makes sense. How is it assured the aircraft is still in actual conditions if the pilot is hooded. You must have a visual lookout for compliance with see-and-avoid when the pilot is so compromised.
Ah. I guess that makes sense, then.

Back