Logging aborted take offs.

Work on our reading comprehension. This really isn't that complicated. If a bounced landing seems the same as an initial takeoff to you, well...sorry, I can't help you.

Too funny..... Sorry, I can't help you either in this case. As you stated, you better work on comprehension...and maybe some physics too.

Too funny..... Sorry, I can't help you either in this case. As you stated, you better work on comprehension...and maybe some physics too.

LOL. Please, enlighten all of us on the physics involved, professor. This will be entertaining.

LOL. Please, enlighten all of us on the physics involved, professor. This will be entertaining.

Please Send your tuition fees in small unmarked bills and class will be in session. I'm not free.:D

So, a takeoff can be rejected after flight is achieved?

Takeoffs and landing are necessary to be logged for passenger carrying currency. I don't think the "intent to take off" is sufficient. You must leave the ground.

Some clubs may require it every 60 or 90 days from 'Low time' pilots to keep the insurance company happy.

Were you airborne longer than the wright brothers first flight? They didn't fly very far, but nobody seems to argue that they flew.

So then, we need to set the minimum distance traveled to be 120', minimum altitude to be 20' and minimum time aloft to be 12 seconds before it counts as a takeoff & landing. Can we call this one solved or should we petition the CC for an opinion?

:lol:

If I walk up to a plane I'm supposed to fly, and it doesn't happen, I log it. Even if there is no time on the clock. I record the incident.
If I taxi out and back I log it.
If I get into the air and bring it right back, I log it.
There are lots of good reasons for making such a record. One of which is to help me remember bad experiences with a plane, so I can avoid a possible repeat performance.

I think @LDJones and @Unit74 both need to have their metal checked. My bet would be on mercury.

Not sure either one needs to have their mettle checked though, as they both have valid points.

I assumed he meant the CRJ I was flying, which was just fine. You thought he meant "mettle"? Huh.

Another question:

If a pilot porpoises a landing, and bounces six times before the inevitable prop strike, is he current for carrying a passenger?

Yes. But he only needs to bounce an additional 2 times, not 6.

If he does it at night, he can knock out 2 birds with 1 stone.

Only counts if after the wheels left the ground you made a flying move.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

What does the guy in the tower have to do with it? He may not have been axle to tell if the wheels left the pavement.

That's how their manning (grade) and pay) is determined, by traffic count. A T&G is 2 counts, etc. When I was TDY for the controller's strike the airport I was at had an ANG Huey outfit, so when they skidded in (on practice auto rotation) and took back off, two clicks baby. Of course we were Air Force so it didn't affect what we were paid. :(

OK, I misread that. As far at the rules go that was a takeoff and landing. The guy in the tower (if there was a tower), clicked the counter twice.

He probably clicked it more than twice. I used to click once for each wheel....

He probably clicked it more than twice. I used to click once for each wheel....
A controller friend of mine said if someone bounced it they'd clear him for a touch and go and click the counter twice for each bounce.

As a side note, all [towered airport] aborts are reported to the Feds. An NASA report would not be out of line just in case you get a phone call.

As a side note, all [towered airport] aborts are reported to the Feds. An NASA report would not be out of line just in case you get a phone call.

Not at any of the three towers I worked at...I mean, we ARE the Feds, but I have never seen an aborted takeoff leave the tower cab or be logged anywhere...

Okay... Most go un-followed up, but several tower guys have told me all are noted.
I have no first hand experience seeing as though I wasn't in the tower, so I'll just assume they're all fibbing.

I'll go one further..
We were issued a takeoff clearance then declined it. The tower (MVY) informed me that was technically an aborted takeoff and it was noted.
I filed an internal company report. Glad I did as the Feds inquired.

Now I'm not saying that's the way it should be, but indeed that's what happened.

What was in the report and what would the ramifications have been if you hadn't made the report?

What was in the report and what would the ramifications have been if you hadn't made the report?

As well as me...

I never heard anything about the aborts I've done besides the occasional harsh tone from tower after I screw up their morning departure push.

Neither have I...

Incidentally, I've heard something similar to what Kritchlow is talking about although I can't find a reference for it. About 5 years ago my old company got on us about aborted takeoffs and it created a stir on the line. We needed to submit a report anytime we aborted a takeoff for any reason. The reason given was that any time we take the runway for the purpose of flight, then subsequently exit the runway, the FAA would be notified by ATC. Therefore we better have a report 'in the system' on our end when such a thing happens. There was also some tribal knowledge that one exception was if the abort was because an FA or passenger wasn't seated, so guys would tell ATC that it was passenger/FA related regardless of the cause just to avoid any paperwork. This was all long enough ago that I have no idea how much of it was legit or just line pilot gossip BS.

Looking at my current company's manual, I only have to write a report if I do a high speed abort. That and a logbook entry. It doesn't say anything else about it.

Incidentally, I've heard something similar to what Kritchlow is talking about although I can't find a reference for it. About 5 years ago my old company got on us about aborted takeoffs and it created a stir on the line. We needed to submit a report anytime we aborted a takeoff for any reason. The reason given was that any time we take the runway for the purpose of flight, then subsequently exit the runway, the FAA would be notified by ATC. Therefore we better have a report 'in the system' on our end when such a thing happens. There was also some tribal knowledge that one exception was if the abort was because an FA or passenger wasn't seated, so guys would tell ATC that it was passenger/FA related regardless of the cause just to avoid any paperwork. This was all long enough ago that I have no idea how much of it was legit or just line pilot gossip BS.

Looking at my current company's manual, I only have a report to write if I do a high speed abort. That and a logbook entry. It doesn't say anything else about it.
The last abort I did was a low-speed abort at KTEB. I'll bet we didn't get up to 20 knots. I asked our safety person if I needed to write it up. She said no, and she tends to be more conservative than me about those things since she used to work for an airline. I have never heard from the FAA about aborts, even when we left the ground and came back.

The last abort I did was a low-speed abort at KTEB. I'll bet we didn't get up to 20 knots. I asked our safety person if I needed to write it up. She said no, and she tends to be more conservative than me about those things since she used to work for an airline. I have never heard from the FAA about aborts, even when we left the ground and came back.

Yeah, it's entirely possible that my experience was merely guys on the line getting worked up over nothing. I was just posting to back up Krithlow's comment - I heard a similar thing at my last job. But you guys got me digging through my manuals, and there's nothing in there other than my being required to submit a logbook entry and report after a high speed (>80 knots) abort.

What was in the report

My manual tells me to record the gross weight of my airplane and the highest speed attained during the abort.

Likely nothing. That said, our poi was happy to see the report and who knows had there been an actual issue without one.

Back