Logbook Protection

darthnomster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyLikeAGirl'sHubs
I recently did my first BFR and got a Tailwheel endorsement in my logbook. I think these are the first things since PPL Solo and XC signoffs that I REALLY don't want to lose. How do you folks make sure you have a "backup" of your logbooks?

Ideas I've had:

* Scan or photograph the endorsements and each regular page as it's finished digitally and keep on something like dropbox or skydrive.

* Keep the logbook in a home safe.

* Transcribe everything into a digital logbook (doubt this is a "legal" copy of endorsements).

All of the above. I scan the logbook pages (comes in handy when the flying club needs proof I had a flight review), keep a spreadsheet of my log (faster for adding things up) and only take the logbook with me when I will need a CFI(I)'s signature for something. Flying on my own? It stays home.

Having your computer files backed up remotely is wise. Otherwise, if the house burns you lose everything.

Mike, you really seem to have answered your own question!

Do any or all of the above. I find that it's much, much quicker to take photos of the pages than scan them in or make a copy, but yes, do those things.

Whatever you do, DON'T keep your logbook in your flight bag that you take with you when you go fly. Unless you need a CFI's signature, there's no need for it and you're just opening yourself up to either lose it or have it stolen.

* Scan or photograph the endorsements and each regular page as it's finished digitally and keep on something like dropbox or skydrive.
^^ This is the easiest way, and I keep them on a dropbox drive and email them to myself on Gmail. Takes like 2 minutes to do a page once it's done and then I don't have to worry about it.
* Keep the logbook in a home safe.
Not a bad idea, but probably unnecessary especially if you're regularly using it. If it's the logbook you use to record each flight you may get sick of constantly taking it out of the safe. I have a good backup so I just keep my logbook conveniently accessible. Otherwise I'll get behind and have to "catch up" with a few flights at a time.
* Transcribe everything into a digital logbook (doubt this is a "legal" copy of endorsements).
I would suggest doing this IF you want the utility of a digital copy (easier to add up hours, sort by different metrics, make graphs, get reminders, etc). I don't consider this as a backup as it lacks all of the signatures of the real thing. Were I to lose my original logbook I would recreate it from the photocopies, not from a spreadsheet.

Digital camera, copies on Picassa.

Faster than the scanner, plus I have a nice record of part of the floor in the back room.

I have a gmail account that I use specifically for this type of thing. I never give that address out, to anyone...OK, my wife has it, but that's seriously it.

But, whenever I have something that I want to have an archive of, I photograph/scan it and e-mail it to that address with a description in the subject line/body of what it is. Then if I ever need it, any computer with internet access will get it for me, and because of the description I gave, a keyword search for it is a piece of cake.

And because NOBODY ever sees the address except me, I've never, not once, received any spam mail in that account...had it for about 8 years now.

I keep a scanned copy but also have my flights entered on myflightbook.com, to double check my math and keep track of currency items.

I would suggest doing this IF you want the utility of a digital copy (easier to add up hours, sort by different metrics, make graphs, get reminders, etc). I don't consider this as a backup as it lacks all of the signatures of the real thing. Were I to lose my original logbook I would recreate it from the photocopies, not from a spreadsheet..

A decade ago, I switched to a spreadsheet logbook. It's the only logbook I've used since then. It does include (scanned) signatures.

Smartphones are wonderful things... mine is set to duplicate photos taken to dropbox (or is it Box.net or picasa?). I regularly take quick pics of my log, licenses, permits, certificates, insurance policies and all receipts. No more scanning for this guy....

I take photos with my iPhone & pay for extra storage space in iCloud. My four year old son was trying to guess my password and erased my phone a few months back. I plugged it into my laptop and hit restore. Once it started I moved my phone to a wall charger and let it sit there for a few hours. I don't know how long it took, but when I came back everything was back on my phone. I also copy the photos to my laptop.

So that makes a paper original, and photos on my phone, iCloud, and my laptop.

Jim

I have a question for "Keep it home" crowd. What if you get ramp-checked with pax and they want to make sure you had 3 landings within last 3 months? And you do not have logbook photos with you. You haven't rented from this particular FBO in a while.

What do you do then? Not being critical, but looking for some insight.

I have a question for "Keep it home" crowd. What if you get ramp-checked with pax and they want to make sure you had 3 landings within last 3 months? And you do not have logbook photos with you. You haven't rented from this particular FBO in a while.

What do you do then? Not being critical, but looking for some insight.

You tell the inspector you'll be happy to make an appointment and bring your logbooks, or he'll ask you to make an appointment and bring your logs.

Besides all the above, I have started having CFI's I fly with for check-outs, BFR's, etc note in their log book My Total Time as of mm/dd/yy. Not sure how valid it would be, but an affidavit to affirm the time as of some date in the past might be of some use.

Assumes you can then find the CFI, somewhere down the road....

Student pilots are required to bring their logbooks with them when they fly, but private pilots and above are not. (An up-to-date hardcopy meets the requirement for students, too.)

Also, having an electronic-only logbook doesn't necessarily mean you keep it at home. You can carry it in your smartphone, or have it in cloud storage.

I don't worry about it. Time is on record at last medical and I have plenty there, my certifications are on record with the FAA, and I can get a CFI to sign off all my endorsements in a new book.

Back