Logbook error correction

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
i was reviewing my logbook for upcoming checkride and noticed in 1999 I somehow placed hours on a solo flight VFR under hood time. I have plenty of hours of dual IMC/hood time combo safety pilot time that the 2.5 hours total (two different entries) doesn’t make a difference in my 40 hours total needed. The question I have is how do I correct it??
Simple single line strike out and correct totals at the current page I’m on or correct the totals on each page.
I don’t want to make an absolute mess of my logbook but I want it to be right.

One line through, correct and initial next to it

That’s what Planned on doing.
I’m when I complete the page I’m on Im just going to make sure the totals are correct instead of retotaling each page. Very silly mistake. Love to ask myself 19 years ago wtf?

Not sure if you use foreflight but it’s logbook feature is pretty nice and makes those errors much less likely to happen.

Not sure if you use foreflight but it’s logbook feature is pretty nice and makes those errors much less likely to happen.
I was thinking of converting to electronic. So you put your current hours in and just log from there on ForeFlight? Keep both paper and electronic? My brother I think is doing all electronic and was trying to convince me to do that. But he has to have paper for his endorsements right?? I have around 200 hours so far logged on paper over 20 years (took 15 off). Going through my logbook is cathartic. A few entries a CFI logged as XC that didn’t meet the distance regs in the 90’s -2001 range.

Or just forward your totals and scan, PDF and upload your existing log, if you later get an endorsemt you can scan/photo it and add it easily.

Combined with the record button, it makes logging flights super easy.

Under qualifications you can add all your endorsements complete with the date and even transcribe what your CFI wrote and his name and cert.

9721863-D-E631-4-F5-A-8-CC0-0345-ACDC2-CF3.png

Or just forward your totals and scan, PDF and upload your existing log, if you later get an endorsemt you can scan/photo it and add it easily.

Combined with the record button, it makes logging flights super easy.

Under qualifications you can add all your endorsements complete with the date and even transcribe what your CFI wrote and his name and cert.

9721863-D-E631-4-F5-A-8-CC0-0345-ACDC2-CF3.png
Was just playing with this function. Super easy to use. I have a checkride coming up. I am going to change over right after I (hopefully) pass and get signed off. I like how it can track your currency and all the extra info you can put into it.

Cross it out, and fix it on the current page. On the page you cross out, I'd leave a note as to the date it was fixed so you can find that page (since most logbooks don't have page numbers).

Heck, I don't even know exactly how many hours I have. I don't have my first logbook from 40+ years ago, and I quit logging "the same hour" a long time ago, all my errors are errors of omission.

I’m getting ready to get my hours totaled for the IACRA 8710-1 form. I only have 12 pages filled out. In my logbook but is annoying the little errors. Had a CFI years ago list XC hours for flights that are only 42nm. It was 20 years ago but I’m getting nervene about “getting it all right”
Could just be me getting nervous about upcoming checkride.
That brings another question. Do I start the IACRA form online or does my CFII do it for IFR ??

I’m getting ready to get my hours totaled for the IACRA 8710-1 form. I only have 12 pages filled out. In my logbook but is annoying the little errors. Had a CFI years ago list XC hours for flights that are only 42nm. It was 20 years ago but I’m getting nervene about “getting it all right”
Don't get nervous about getting it all right. The FAA and others recommend being complete because the application has a secondary function of setting a baseline if you lose your logbook later. But for its primary purpose of applying for a certificate, rating or privilege, you only have to enter enough information to show you qualify for what you are applying for. Putting both of those purposes together, be as complete as you can, don't aggravate yourself about the little errors we all make in our logbooks, and, if you are concerned about errors, understate a bit (so long as you have enough to qualify)

That brings another question. Do I start the IACRA form online or does my CFII do it for IFR ??
It's your application. You fill it out. Whether your CFI sits with you while you do it is up to the two of you.

Don't get nervous about getting it all right. The FAA and others recommend being complete because the application has a secondary function of setting a baseline if you lose your logbook later. But for its primary purpose of applying for a certificate, rating or privilege, you only have to enter enough information to show you qualify for what you are applying for. Putting both of those purposes together, be as complete as you can, don't aggravate yourself about the little errors we all make in our logbooks, and, if you are concerned about errors, understate a bit (so long as you have enough to qualify)

It's your application. You fill it out. Whether your CFI sits with you while you do it is up to the two of you.
Thanks. That’s a big help. He mentioned in a big PITA to do online. He’s an older school guy lol. I downloaded a copy to fill out ahead of time to work on.

It’s your log book that you’re signing off the accuracy of - correct and amend as needed and ad lib.

As was said, you only need to show the hours required.

That said, not sure the ride, but for my initial CPL the DPE did check my x/cs were really x/c, spent more time on my log than the oral.

Pretty sure it needs to be 50nm
From the link you posted...
Cross-country time means—

(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (ii) through (vi) of this definition, time acquired during flight—

(A) Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;

(B) Conducted in an aircraft;

(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and

(D) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

You can choose to log or not log whatever you want.

Pretty sure it needs to be 50nm

I wouldn’t bothering logging it if it’s not 50

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...iv8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.1.1.1&idno=14
If you are interested in a career, they (point-to-point regardless of distance) count toward Part 135 minimums. To the extent it matters, it also counts for everything else other than certificates and ratings, such as insurance applications, unless the insurer gives a different definition. But I haven't seen an insurance application which asks for that in a long, long time.

If you do count them, better off using a different logbook column for totaling purposes. Most eLogs willl take care of that for you.

Last edited:
It’s so easy to do a 50nm cross country that I see no reason whatsoever to log shorter flights as cross country. It only muddles up your logbook later on when you try to distinguish which ones meet the 50nm threshold for a certificate or rating and which ones don’t.

It’s so easy to do a 50nm cross country that I see no reason whatsoever to log shorter flights as cross country. It only muddles up your logbook later on when you try to distinguish which ones meet the 50nm threshold for a certificate or rating and which ones don’t.
Yeah. I see that. I have enough xc to go for my IFR cert with more current time. I took a 15 year break. The time I logged back in the day I guess I didn’t realize what a mess it could create. Post IFR ride I’m going to take a hard look at logging and probably use ForeFlight as well. That will help me think about currency requirements as well.

If you do count them, better off using a different logbook column for totaling purposes. Most eLogs willl take care of that for you.

My Gleim logbook has a column for that, but I've never used it. I went back and filled in solo hours when thinking about getting CPL.

Attachments

• 20181121_095935.jpg
    20181121_095935.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 1,175
Like most situations where you need to track different things, It muddles things up if you don't do good bookkeeping and keep them separate.

Like most situations where you need to track different things, It muddles things up if you don't do good bookkeeping and keep them separate.

You want to discuss muddled messes? You should see some of the maintenance log entries that I have seen as well as the general condition and organization of the log itself. I blame this on the owners as much if not more than the mechanics as it is actually their responsibility to maintain the records. Seems as if a lot of owners are oblivious to this fact.

my logbook is riddled with whiteout Where I caught errors. If anyone ever questions it I will tell them "brb" and then have a notary Notarize it where I state it is all accurate.

btw - if anyone needs a notary in the DFW area just let me know!

note beside it the line that you messed up the page/line of the correction row that you are getting ready to make.

Take the next empty logbook row and make a correction entry, note the correction, why and the line/page it applies to. That way you don't have to redo all the totals.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back