Loctite...fixture time vs cure time

Aaron H

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Aaron
Hi all,

I have an oil leak from a fitting. It is loose and hoping I just need to apply loctite and torques (please, please...)

Loctite 243 has a fixture time of 10min and full cure in 24 hrs.

It's a rotax and I have to purge with a hot motor due to a thermostat installed.

Do I have to wait the full 24 hrs to fill with oil and purge or can I fill and run the engine after the 10 min?

Thanks!

Loctite isn't really a sealant, but will usually do the trick once fully cured. The worst that will happen is that it will leak, it will be difficult to remove the Loctited fitting, and you'll get to repeat the process.
I'd give it an hour, anyway.

Thx Kenny,

Actually loctite 243 is a sealent and is made to be removed with hand tools, it's a medium strength.

I just don't know the difference between fixture time and cure time

Fixture time is the time required for two surfaces coated in the material to have enough bond strength to not be able to be moved without undue force.

Cure time is the time required for the material to reach full bonding strength.

Some materials require full cure prior to use or exposure to anything but air.

Thanks Craig,

Do u know if 243 is one that required full cure or know where to find that info?

2uvy73.jpg

Do I have to wait the full 24 hrs to fill with oil and purge or can I fill and run the engine after the 10 min?
If you don't want to do it a second time, wait the 24 hours. It is my understanding, the intent of a fixture time with certain sealants/adhesives is more toward assembly completion rather than usage of the item.

Back