Local TV station reporting 6 dead.

jimwomble

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jimw
A local Richmond, VA TV station is reporting 6 dead as a result of plane crash at Shannon Airport around 12:26 p.m. Friday. A nearby Amtrak train was stopped on tracks near the airport and some passengers witnessed the crash.

The reports I heard all said 2 - plane was a Baron, though.

The reports I heard all said 2 - plane was a Baron, though.

NBC4 says six based on 'aviation sources' (which in Shannons case probably means the airport dog). According to VA state patrol it appears to be a go-around gone wrong. State only confirms 2 dead.

NBC4 says six based on 'aviation sources' (which in Shannons case probably means the airport dog). According to VA state patrol it appears to be a go-around gone wrong. State only confirms 2 dead.
Yeah, apparently the NBC stations in DC and Richmond are saying 6. Everyone else is saying 2 or '2 or more'

Oh great, dissing on dogs again. What is wrong with you people?!

State police are now confirming 6 bodies. RIP.

Shannon is much improved in the past few years. The airport dog only issues no comment statements now and refers you to the FAA.

One of the articles online had a map declaring the Shannon Airport to be in County Claire, Ireland.

Tail number been released yet?

I heard it was a B55 baron.

I did see mention that the last leg was from KLOU, KY, not that it was necessarily based there.

No mention of N number as far as I can tell, sad event for sure. I looked up the weather around the time of the accident, winds 190 at 10, 93 degrees, runway 24/6 2910' or so feet long. There was a Notam that the length was reduced a bit from the 2999'.

There is some scuttlebutt that it was a late in the approach go-around, as to when the accident occurred.

Tail number been released yet?
Not yet. It's fortunately not my old one.

Supposedly a family going to see the OCS graduation at Quantico. There is some talk on BT that they were attempting a SE landing. Don't know if that is true however. Just seems odd to try and stuff a Baron into Shannon when Stafford is right next door.

If it was a family then some of passengers may have been children or females. What I am getting at if 6 people with the FAA 170 pounds per person were aboard then that does not leave much payload left for fuel and remain legal. Plane flew from KY - could it had been over gross?

If it was a family then some of passengers may have been children or females. What I am getting at if 6 people with the FAA 170 pounds per person were aboard then that does not leave much payload left for fuel and remain legal. Plane flew from KY - could it had been over gross?
Reports I've seen say three kids.

Not yet. It's fortunately not my old one.

Supposedly a family going to see the OCS graduation at Quantico. There is some talk on BT that they were attempting a SE landing. Don't know if that is true however. Just seems odd to try and stuff a Baron into Shannon when Stafford is right next door.

RMN would have been the better choice in either circumstance. A OEI go-around on a 95°F day? Sigh, I hope not.

Well, if they made it from Kentucky, across West Virginia and the hills and to eastern Virginia; I doubt if they were over gross.

Fearless, what's the TO/Landing distance in a Baron at a Density Altitude around 2700' with 6 persons & min fuel?

That's a 3000 foot runway at EZF which would seem to indicate little margin for error....

Damn....
They were from my hometown.
I think the woman was a year behind me in a very small rural High School.

The Northwestern Consolidated School District of Shelby County confirmed Saturday afternoon Emma Borenstein and Timmermann were students at Triton Central High School. Luke Borenstein was a student at Wabash College.

Superintendent Chris Hoke released this statement to The Shelbyville News at 1:30 p.m. Saturday:

"It is with profound sadness and a heavy heart that we announce having received official notification of the victims of the tragic accident in Fredericksburg, Virginia. It has been confirmed that the victims of that fatal plane crash include: Emma Borenstein - TCHS sophomore, Luke Borenstein - Triton Central graduate, their mother, Lisa Borenstein, and Maren Timmermann - TCHS junior.

Fearless, what's the TO/Landing distance in a Baron at a Density Altitude around 2700' with 6 persons & min fuel?

That's a 3000 foot runway at EZF which would seem to indicate little margin for error....
At GW in this heat, for takeoff you'd be looking at a little under 2000' ground roll and 3000' over 50'.

For landing, around 2500' over 50' and 1700' ground roll.

Doable, but not much room for error. Those at also book values.

I would not want to attempt a SE go-around though after touching down. It would be physically impossible to successfully pull that off from mid-field. They would have been better off standing on the brakes and running off the end of the runway.

At GW in this heat, for takeoff you'd be looking at a little under 2000' ground roll and 3000' over 50'.

For landing, around 2500' over 50' and 1700' ground roll.

Doable, but not much room for error. Those at also book values.

I would not want to attempt a SE go-around though after touching down. It would be physically impossible to successfully pull that off from mid-field. They would have been better off standing on the brakes and running off the end of the runway.
Thanks. The trees at the runway end make it challenging at EZF.... Would have been far better for them to go into RMN on the north side or Tappahannock on the south side.

From your numbers, looks like even a two-engine full power takeoff from midfield would have been close to impossible.

IPlane flew from KY - could it had been over gross?
In theory, they could have been pushin gross at departure in KY, but probably not at the point they were approaching their destination.

But, the overall pax load does leave me with a sinking suspicion as to why they were single engine and trying to land at Shannon.

In theory, they could have been pushin gross at departure in KY, but probably not at the point they were approaching their destination.

But, the overall pax load does leave me with a sinking suspicion as to why they were single engine and trying to land at Shannon.
Yep. I think the same.

RMN is only 8 miles away, with a 5000' runway. They would have passed nearly overhead.... (and the fuel price is a few cents different between the to).

Radio news here quoted the "authorities" as saying in a news release that the plane stalled after takeoff and went down.

Yep. I think the same.

RMN is only 8 miles away, with a 5000' runway. They would have passed nearly overhead.... (and the fuel price is a few cents different between the to).

Radio news here quoted the "authorities" as saying in a news release that the plane stalled after takeoff and went down.
Some additional info was posted on BeechTalk. They had been into EZF before, so folks seem to think that was the intended destination. Also, report now sounds like they lost the engine on the go around vice initial OEI landing.

From the security camera, they touched down on the nose and porpoised and then went around.

This airplane was a '69 model so unlike mine, it has separate Mains and Aux tanks. Very good chance they ran a tank dry on the go-around.

Some additional info was posted on BeechTalk. They had been into EZF before, so folks seem to think that was the intended destination. Also, report now sounds like they lost the engine on the go around vice initial OEI landing.

From the security camera, they touched down on the nose and porpoised and then went around.

This airplane was a '69 model so unlike mine, it has separate Mains and Aux tanks. Very good chance they ran a tank dry on the go-around.
Would be consistent. Ugly situation all around.

Back