Living life on the edge

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Last time I flew my plane, I noticed that the left seat was listing to starboard just enough to notice although nothing was visibly wrong with it. I removed the co-pilot seat, removed the pilot seat and re-installed them in the opposite place. I completed no log entry or paperwork of any kind.

That is all.

Last time I flew my plane, I noticed that the left seat was listing to starboard just enough to notice although nothing was visibly wrong with it. I removed the co-pilot seat, removed the pilot seat and re-installed them in the opposite place. I completed no log entry or paperwork of any kind.

That is all.
When I bought my plane the co-pilot seat went up higher than the pilot seat. I'm really short and need all of the height I can get, so I switched them. No log entry or paperwork of any kind :eek:. We're in it together now.

I won't tell if you won't. Ya know something else....I really doubt there is an actual "administrator." ;)

Funny thing is that I wrote with a black sharpy under the co pilot's seat "co-pilot" when I got them back from upholstery leaving the pilot's seat without a mark. I thought, why write on both when you only have two to choose from. Today after I switched them out I wrote on the formally known as the pilot's seat and NOW the co-pilot's seat, "co pilot's...really, not kidding"

Last edited:

That is all.

I don't know if this is your case, but usually it's because one ends up sitting a bit "sidesaddle". On my PA-28 this is definitively the case.In my case, the cushion ends up bottoming out in the inside rear edge corner, leaving an incredibly unpleasant hot spot against the seat bottom metal frame in the outer glute area of your hip. For me it has to do with being V-framed due to weight lifting, thus having the need to offset my butt seating away from the wall of the airplane in order to gain shoulder and arm clearance from the sidewall, where the seats in the PA28 were not offset from the sidewall at all. As a result, the cushion gets quickly worn out with the uneven seating pressure.

I probably need memory foam or some sort of upholstery that is more resilient to that kind of uneven seating pressure. In reality I just need an airplane with better seat offsets from the sidewall. I've only done long flight in Piper products, so I don't know if Cessnas are better on this regard. I believe Cherokee Six frames have the seat pan offset from the seat tracks in an S curve on the seat beams. I'm def looking at these non-performance metrics in more detail when it comes to my upgrade airplane.

When I bought my plane the co-pilot seat went up higher than the pilot seat. I'm really short and need all of the height I can get, so I switched them. No log entry or paperwork of any kind :eek:. We're in it together now.

I’m sure it was mixed up by the prior owner. Glad you fixed that.

I wonder if Tom Cruise had to switch out his seat in Top Gun? (We know he switched teams a long time ago...)

I don't know if this is your case, but usually it's because one ends up sitting a bit "sidesaddle". On my PA-28 this is definitively the case.In my case, the cushion ends up bottoming out in the inside rear edge corner, leaving an incredibly unpleasant hot spot against the seat bottom metal frame in the outer glute area of your hip. For me it has to do with being V-framed due to weight lifting, thus having the need to offset my butt seating away from the wall of the airplane in order to gain shoulder and arm clearance from the sidewall, where the seats in the PA28 were not offset from the sidewall at all. As a result, the cushion gets quickly worn out with the uneven seating pressure.

I probably need memory foam or some sort of upholstery that is more resilient to that kind of uneven seating pressure. In reality I just need an airplane with better seat offsets from the sidewall. I've only done long flight in Piper products, so I don't know if Cessnas are better on this regard. I believe Cherokee Six frames have the seat pan offset from the seat tracks in an S curve on the seat beams. I'm def looking at these non-performance metrics in more detail when it comes to my upgrade airplane.

My seats were just upholstered in leather a couple years ago. The "lean" isn't enough to worry about, just enough (for me) to notice. Now the problem is solved and is passed on to whomever flies with me but they won't notice because they will be having such as awesome time flying with me. ;)

Oh to have the luxury of changing seats,or even adjusting them. Having fixed seats makes me jealous.

Found out mine were swapped when I replaced the gas cylinder on the co-pilot(actually pilot) seat.

Back