Little River Airport (KLLR) Charter is in Business

OK I have emailed our guy. It seems per the site it would be roughly $29 round trip for the entire car load (we get 10 percent off). Not sure how many he can take or what times he is around / available.

I am looking to beat the heat and LLR will get that done. Booneville is on the way, I guess. I was going to call around to see if I could find a camping spot.

I'm not able to stay, I have to be at the BF's house Fri / Sat / Sun at least enough hours to sleep there and feed the dogs twice per day. I also probably need to pick up Salmon Saturday night from the boat in Bodega Bay at the dock if they catch any, which is too bad, there is that potluck at Boonville on Saturday night. But they have no runway lights and leaving late is scary (I've done it before, but it is horrible).... Google says it is only a 1 hour drive so perhaps I'll drive in. Talk about an aviation packed day - wow!

I owe flights to a few local pilots in Petaluma so I've made some phone calls, not sure who will fit in my 150 though.

Boonville, yes but must comply with she who pays the fuel bills -- and Mendo is preferred in this situation -- remember there is shopping in Mendo :) :)

I'm not a shopper but I do remember my trips to Mendocino with my parents, my Mom loved the shopping. I might walk the little downtown a bit myself, doubt I'll get anything though.

New plan:

1. Fly the 150 from Petaluma to Little River (lunch, POA)

2. Fly the 150 back to Petaluma

3. Fly the 150 from Petaluma to Skypark with a very experienced pilot (to practice tough airports). He offered to help me, I'm prepping for Shelter Cove.

4. Drive to Bodega Bay to get fresh caught Salmon with ice filled cooler.

5. Drive either back to Healdsburg or straight to Boonville for dinner party with 200 pilots

6. Back to Healdsburg to sleep

Now I want the BF to go fishing every weekend. It is great to have a Saturday free like this. I flew the 172 late last night and had such a good time I can't wait to get in the air again. I did my 3 night landings and it was such a perfect night.

I e-mailed the restaurant and reservations for lunch not required if we do not have a big group.
Saturday lunch will probably not be a problem there. But there are loads of eating spots and Deli -- food is not a problem.
We are shooting for Saturday early (cooler) but will have to firm up times tomorrow with a better look at Wx here (sts)

I'm not able to stay, I have to be at the BF's house Fri / Sat / Sun at least enough hours to sleep there and feed the dogs twice per day. I also probably need to pick up Salmon Saturday night from the boat in Bodega Bay at the dock if they catch any, which is too bad, there is that potluck at Boonville on Saturday night. But they have no runway lights and leaving late is scary (I've done it before, but it is horrible).... Google says it is only a 1 hour drive so perhaps I'll drive in. Talk about an aviation packed day - wow!

I owe flights to a few local pilots in Petaluma so I've made some phone calls, not sure who will fit in my 150 though.

I haven't been able to reach the camping place yet. It looks like a hotel will run $200 and I am not in the mood for spending that on just myself. I will do the day trip thing, if I can't find a camp spot. Either way, if the weather cooperates, I should be able to make lunch. If the timing works out, we can share a rided. I will text you that morning to let you know my schedule (or you can text me).

I e-mailed the restaurant and reservations for lunch not required if we do not have a big group.
Saturday lunch will probably not be a problem there. But there are loads of eating spots and Deli -- food is not a problem.
We are shooting for Saturday early (cooler) but will have to firm up times tomorrow with a better look at Wx here (sts)

OK I'm not that much of an early bird, how early did you want to have lunch? I asked Rex in my email where in Mendocino he would drop us off (hoping he could take us to the restaurant but I don't mind walking).

I guess I'd need to get there early, however, to coordinate the driver etc.

I changed my airplane reservation to 8am (gasp).

I haven't been able to reach the camping place yet. It looks like a hotel will run $200 and I am not in the mood for spending that on just myself. I will do the day trip thing, if I can't find a camp spot. Either way, if the weather cooperates, I should be able to make lunch. If the timing works out, we can share a rided. I will text you that morning to let you know my schedule (or you can text me).

I think I still have it from last time, the fourth of July, I'll double check. Cool that we have our own group now, I never felt like we did before.

Should we tell other POAers in a new thread? Last time I did my whole post on thee sites thing it was too hard for me to keep track. POA seems easier.... though I would want to ask John (STSFlyer).... from Purple.

Last time we got about 120 lbs of salmon, I think 4-6 fish (three guys). That would cost me a lot to buy in Fort Bragg. It took all night to prep the fish and seal it up in dozens of packages with the vacuum. I didn't even get to eat any.

I didn't put 2 and 2 together, I guess. That makes sense. Can't they just throw it on dry ice for a couple of days? That seems like a lot of effort on you part and you don't even get to fish.

I didn't put 2 and 2 together, I guess. That makes sense. Can't they just throw it on dry ice for a couple of days? That seems like a lot of effort on you part and you don't even get to fish.

Oh I get to fish, I fish for sure (I said that night I didn't get to eat any, he froze it all for later). I even bought my fishing license (not cheap). However, each and EVERY time I fish, without fail, not only do I catch nothing - nobody else does! We spent all day far out at sea with a depth finder last time, and even later went to a river, and nada. Four of us, four poles, nothing. So I stayed home the next trip and they score 120 lbs. I am seriously bad luck. Besides, don't you think I'd choose flying to a foo foo lunch over fishing in rough seas?

LOL they bought a boat to sleep in, they are going salmon fishing for 3 days. I'm offloading their catch silly! We have vacuum bags, a freezer, etc. at his house, none of that on the boat. They want it to stay fresh.

What's wrong with this solution to the stated problem?:dunno: ;)

He helped me paint my Mom's house last weekend, it is kind of the least I can do. It is a lot to ask me to drive to the coast but isn't that why boys have girlfriends? I'm also watching his dog / house for 3 days.

What's wrong with this solution to the stated problem?:dunno: ;)

I owe him a favor. Plus if you fish for three days there are maximums, and they do check, so unless you drive the fish home you're screwed. So let's say you fish all day. You get your limit. (2 salmon, per fisherman) You've planned a 3 day trip. Unless your buddy's girlfriend comes to the rescue, no fishing for the next 2 days. It costs several hundred dollars a day in gas to run that large of a boat so I'm sure it is his way of "paying back" his friend, in addition to chipping in with costs. They are so greatful their friend got this super awesome boat (with full bedroom / kitchen downstairs, it kicks butt). The engine didn't work and they got it for less than $7K. They called and when new it cost $140,000 to buy in the 80's or 90's.

Last edited:
Ok, I got a camp spot at the Albion River Campground (they had me waitlisted for about an hour). Their check in is not until 3:00, so I will leave my gear in the plane and head town with you guys.

Ok, I got a camp spot at the Albion River Campground (they had me waitlisted for about an hour). Their check in is not until 3:00, so I will leave my gear in the plane and head town with you guys.

Cool, I just talked to the manager of Boonville airport. I can't post some of the things she said on here since she told me it is not public knowledge, but let's just say the pattern will be busy on Saturday. Probably best to avoid, though I do love Boonville. She says they will have room to park all planes, about 40 - 50 planes.

Once Patrick checks the weather and decides his schedule it sounds like John and I can go at the same time. Haven't heard back from Rex regarding how many will fit in his van.

Alternatively, Rex, when would you like to meet? Not sure how long the ride is in the "taxi" to town. I can take the taxi with you.

Oh and I called STS flyer but he can't make it. Still waiting to hear back from a few of my potential passengers now.

Hi all I e-mailed Kimberly a looooong e-mail. I will be on the airport all day Friday Saturday Sunday and Monday as part of my gig. Maybe Saturday I might head down to Boonville. Had a lot of fun there last year. The Van holds 6 plus me.

Got the email.

OK so if John is going alone (are you John?) the rate was right. It was for 2 people (if John and I ride together)

4 people is about $20 - $25 more (round trip). 6 people is about $20 more still.

But we only have 4 of us right now, not sure if we will get 6.

Hi all I e-mailed Kimberly a looooong e-mail. I will be on the airport all day Friday Saturday Sunday and Monday as part of my gig. Maybe Saturday I might head down to Boonville. Had a lot of fun there last year. The Van holds 6 plus me.

Wait, if you head down to Boonville then we can't go to town. Let us know if / when you're going to Boonville. I just talked to the airport manager and here is the scoop on Boonville:

Pilots start arriving at 10am

Festivities start at noon

Potluck dinner (expecting 200) starts at 5pm, bring a dish.

I am flying alone. If we can coordinate our landing times, we should be able to share a ride. I will also need a ride from the airport to the Albion River Campground after lunch, with my camping gear. If that is not possible, I will need to know, so I can pack light and hoof it.

I am flying alone. If we can coordinate our landing times, we should be able to share a ride. I will also need a ride from the airport to the Albion River Campground after lunch, with my camping gear. If that is not possible, I will need to know, so I can pack light and hoof it.

Go to Rex's website for his phone number. I called him twice tonight. He was great. I'm sure he will let you know.

Also, in a strange and long story change of events - I think I'm not solo anymore. I might have a pilot with me. So that would change our "2" to "3" or more. Hope that's OK.

Can't wait for Saturday!

PS - as I told Rex, I will tell you: I'd rather be early and kill time with a post flight inspection or hanging out at the airport than worry about another pilot waiting for me. I admire your desire to coordinate landing times, but, I save my fun money for flying and as such I'm never in a hurry when pleasure flying. Let me know when you'll be there and I'll plan accordingly. I am in a 150 near max gross, a very slow plane indeed. It could take an hour or more to get there if I dilly dally and show my pax the secret temple or the light house by going low and slow. That's just my style!

PS - as I told Rex, I will tell you: I'd rather be early and kill time with a post flight inspection or hanging out at the airport than worry about another pilot waiting for me. I admire your desire to coordinate landing times, but, I save my fun money for flying and as such I'm never in a hurry when pleasure flying. Let me know when you'll be there and I'll plan accordingly. I am in a 150 near max gross, a very slow plane indeed. It could take an hour or more to get there if I dilly dally and show my pax the secret temple or the light house by going low and slow. That's just my style!

I will call Rex tomorrow and give him heads up. My concern is more about his mention of going to Boonsville. I am not on a particular schedule. I probably will not be wheels up by 8:00 or maybe even 9:00 and it takes at least an hour from LHM. I can afford my own ride if the timing doesn't work out. That said, I am flexible and will make an effort to coordinate my arrival. Waiting doesn't bother me. I have a good book I am reading. It is all down time to me.

I will call Rex tomorrow and give him heads up. My concern is more about his mention of going to Boonsville. I am not on a particular schedule. I probably will not be wheels up by 8:00 or maybe even 9:00 and it takes at least an hour from LHM. I can afford my own ride if the timing doesn't work out. That said, I am flexible and will make an effort to coordinate my arrival. Waiting doesn't bother me. I have a good book I am reading. It is all down time to me.

Me too, that's why I called him. He meant in the evening, after we're long gone. They are having a dinner. Turns out he might not be able to go. I think we mis-understood his post. He pretty much "hangs out" at the airport Fri - Sun so no worry, he'll be there for us.

I owe him a favor. Plus if you fish for three days there are maximums, and they do check, so unless you drive the fish home you're screwed. So let's say you fish all day. You get your limit. (2 salmon, per fisherman) You've planned a 3 day trip. Unless your buddy's girlfriend comes to the rescue, no fishing for the next 2 days. It costs several hundred dollars a day in gas to run that large of a boat so I'm sure it is his way of "paying back" his friend, in addition to chipping in with costs. They are so greatful their friend got this super awesome boat (with full bedroom / kitchen downstairs, it kicks butt). The engine didn't work and they got it for less than $7K. They called and when new it cost $140,000 to buy in the 80's or 90's.
No, you missed my point. You said "fresh" and the suggestion was to put it on dry ice. In my mind, that ain't fresh! I even bolded the relevant parts for you! LOL

Janet and I are planning to be at LLR Saturday morning - we are about an hour out from STS and will be at the whim of the STS morning fog but plan to be wheels up 11ish Wx permitting.
Fog forecast at STS:

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?state=CA&sta=KSTS

Cool. I plan to go a bit earlier, but that is just me, I like to fly slow and sometimes circle the lighthouse or the temple or fly the coast instead of a straight line. Plus my preflights are long. Sounds like you plan to be at Little River roughly around noon?

John, does your cell start with 91? Patrick, can you PM me your cell phone number?

As mentioned, I'll probably have a passenger (unless he cancels). I will be in the orange 150 (hard to miss):

7666434594_25b2f63241_z.jpg

We will be in stealth mode as well :rofl:

7137550315_7b66eec0e6.jpg
[/URL] IMG_0275 Audrey watching all her fellow planes go by by Oclipat, on Flickr[/IMG]

If you see us lost please return us to KLLR :wink2:

4412220207_7f7131f114.jpg
[/URL] Kareem Fahmi takes our picture at Black sand beach Shelter Cove airport by Oclipat, on Flickr[/IMG]

By the way this is at black sand beach within walking distance or Shelter cove for those of you going there -- very pretty as Kareem mentions

Thank you, the inn keeper and I had a chat last night. She said most people borrow her van to drive it to that beach or to the restaurant. I asked if we could walk and she said most people drive, not sure why, if it is only a mile and a half from the airport?

Apparently I will be the only non-orange plane in the bunch.

7664687326_618c693b1a.jpg

7743900342_96ed68dd14.jpg

Last edited:
I think his is red, with the checkerboard tail, did you see him / the plane at the fourth of July?

I didn't really see any of the planes on the 4th. I caught a glance at SacArrow's plane. I had to get back to LHM, so I didn't stay long (I had just bought a car and needed to coordinate a flight back to Nut Tree to pick it up).

At least this time you will be in no hurry. Talked to Patrick, who has the same feel as me. Just a pretty flight, with other pilots, we get there when we can, we hopefully all have lunch.

However, both he and I agreed that if the morning is super nice we'll go early. A lot depends on what the clouds tell us. Thank you for the tip that I can just fly to Ukiah if need be, land, and wait it out, so that I am that much closer when the LLR clouds do finally clear.

Well we had a great trip to KLLR and met up with John, Kimberly and Don from Sacramento.
Also had a very very good burger ($11.00 SacArrow) at the Foo Foo (http://www.mendocino.com/?id=895&url=www.cafebeaujolais.com)
and walked around the town.

OBar11.com transportation worked like a charm.

Calling into KLLR 707 937 5129 gets you to airport administrator Dave who (also a pilot there) will give you an "eyeballs on" report as to the weather -- great guy and he will keep you out of the fog.. Did a couple fog checks while we were in town with him and since he has 20 years on that airpatch has a pretty good idea when you should be lifting off !!

All is well if you want to go to KLLR

It was good lunch. Stay away from the Albion River Campground, though. That didn't work out so well.

Back