Little incident at DTS

N747JB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John
I flew into DTS this afternoon, a little gusty crosswind, but not too bad, ramp was pretty crowded.:dunno: I shut down and took the dogs to the truck and when I went back into the FBO I saw a Citation off the taxiway and stuck in the sand!!:eek: Looks like they just taxied off the edge and got stuck. I decided to be a jerk and go take a couple pictures.:D
[/URL
[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/fishandfly/media/imagejpg2_zpsab602be6.jpg.html][/URL
[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/fishandfly/media/imagejpg3_zps250661ef.jpg.html][/URL
[URL=http://s20.photobucket.com/user/fishandfly/media/imagejpg4_zps87a76928.jpg.html]

It's bad enough to get blown off the side of a narrow runway in a crosswind on landing, but to taxi off the side is just shameful. Hopefully they have a tow bar handy and a tug strong enough to move it back to pavement.

Memorial day weekend, maybe that was where they were parking ;)

DTS is crazy on 3 day weekends

They do have them parked everywhere!! I saw jets lined up between the hangars at Destin Jet!:eek: Looks like almost as many turbines as pistons! Even Jerry Jones is here, or at least he was, the APU was running, so I figured he was departing!;) He's missing opening day of Red Snapper season!!:D

That's gotta hurt both the airplane and the pilots pride.

They do have them parked everywhere!! I saw jets lined up between the hangars at Destin Jet!:eek: Looks like almost as many turbines as pistons! Even Jerry Jones is here, or at least he was, the APU was running, so I figured he was departing!;) He's missing opening day of Red Snapper season!!:D

I remember this time last year was insane. I love that airport but gosh it can be a bear.

Catch em while you can! Only a 9 day season, its crazy. Used to be all summer then just june and july, and then just june, and now this.

I know a lot of boat captains who are struggling to make it right now. Snapper is the biggest moneymaker and they are losing 3 weeks of their bread and butter.

The state season opened today through early July, the federal season is the 9 day disaster. Some of the charter boats have federal permits, so that can only fish the 9 days, some have state permits and they can fish until July! :dunno:
We left at 7:15, bought some bait, loaded the box and got back to the dock at 11:00, boat and fish cleaned by 12:15! :yes: Nap time coming up!:D

I remember this time last year was insane. I love that airport but gosh it can be a bear.

Catch em while you can! Only a 9 day season, its crazy. Used to be all summer then just june and july, and then just june, and now this.

I know a lot of boat captains who are struggling to make it right now. Snapper is the biggest moneymaker and they are losing 3 weeks of their bread and butter.

The state season opened today through early July, the federal season is the 9 day disaster. Some of the charter boats have federal permits, so that can only fish the 9 days, some have state permits and they can fish until July! :dunno:
We left at 7:15, bought some bait, loaded the box and got back to the dock at 11:00, boat and fish cleaned by 12:15! :yes: Nap time coming up!:D

I wanna go fishin with you.....:yes::yes:....:D.

I wanna go fishin with you.....:yes::yes:....:D.

Agreed!

Hopefully they have a tow bar handy and a tug strong enough to move it back to pavement.

It isn't going to be that easy. With standing water nearby, that ground is very likely to be soft and the wheels half buried. I expect some shovel work getting some planks in front of the wheels before the tug comes into play.

It isn't going to be that easy. With standing water nearby, that ground is very likely to be soft and the wheels half buried. I expect some shovel work getting some planks in front of the wheels before the tug comes into play.

I didn't stay to see how they got it out, but I'm pretty sure some digging was involved.;) The good news is Citation II's are pretty light on the nose gear, especially without anyone in the front seats.:D

Having BTDT (sorta, in snow) I hope they don't try to pull/push it out with the nose gear. In my case, the taxiway wasn't plowed exactly in the center and you couldn't see the pavement or markings, that's the excuse, but to get her out we used a strap around the stuck strut and verrry carefully pulled it. Don't remember which direction, but think it was back the same way it went in.

dtuuri

John how much $$ do you think the repairs will cost? Or was it not damaged at all?

Depends on what they break/bend/destroy while pulling/pushing/dragging it out.

I'd be pulling the nose baggage floor panels to look for sheared fasteners, buckling etc of the nose gear tunnel.

Last edited:
I saw a G-4 miss that exact turnoff at DTS a few years go. It also sank into the soft sand. They lifted it up with air bags, then used planks. Understand they flew it gear down to repair shop.

That's not as bad as the guy that landed his nice shiny King Air gear up at CRQ a few days ago.

Man have times changed.

When I was a kid Red Snapper was in season one week a month.

Not sure what you think I think I just don't care for red snapper if I understood Mr Winters comment. Lots of assumptions here.

Not sure what you think I think I just don't care for red snapper if I understood Mr Winters comment. Lots of assumptions here.

Personally I like white tuna far better. Just caught, fresh and raw. Red Snapper isn't bad but...

BTW...Mr Winters passed thirty some years ago. LTD is still around though.

Back