Lightspeed Zulu headset sticky control box fix?

If the headset went sticky after 3 months, or even a year, then maybe. But how old is the headset in question here? I see it as a normal part of maintenance IMHO. At the end of the day, does the cost of a bottle of alcohol and hour of cleaning every 3 or 5 years out weigh the headset performance for what you paid?

It’s kinda funny some of the stuff we argue about. Whether some goo is a big deal, or the manufacturer support is good based on sticky goo after 10 years, or that someone else is never going to buy fro the company again because of it. Kinda silly all the way around. I agree with everyone. The other guy is wrong.

It’s kinda funny some of the stuff we argue about. Whether some goo is a big deal, or the manufacturer support is good based on sticky goo after 10 years, or that someone else is never going to buy fro the company again because of it. Kinda silly all the way around. I agree with everyone. The other guy is wrong.
The control boxes on both of our Sierras turned sticky. I wrote to Lightspeed and they offered to replace the sticky bow at no cost and do an inspection. If they find something wrong (long out of warranty), they will let me know and give me option of having them repair it or not.
As these are 9 year old headsets that they are fixing at no cost, I'm very happy with their service. If it happens again, I might try the alcohol trick, if I'm bored and have nothing better to do.

At the end of the day, does the cost of a bottle of alcohol and hour of cleaning every 3 or 5 years out weigh the headset performance for what you paid?
It's actually a 1-time event. Once the coating is gone, it's gone forever.

The best thing that Lightspeed could do is to start making the unit without the grippy coating. It’s not like there’s a critical need to keep a good hold on it.

I am waiting to see if the new control box has the grippy coating or not. I hope not.

The best thing that Lightspeed could do is to start making the unit without the grippy coating. It’s not like there’s a critical need to keep a good hold on it.
My new headset, received last week, no longer had the coating.

Zulu 3 doesn’t have the coating anywhere. Issue resolved.

They quit making the unit without the grippy coating several years ago.

+1 on a phone call to Lightspeed. They're support is really good and you really have nothing to lose.
Not in this case.
First, they pretend like they never heard of the problem before, even though I sent three headsets back to have the box replace. (First, I sent one, then a year or so later I sent it back and another one if for the same problem).

I finally took the advice to use the rubbing alcohol. It really wasn't that hard and it is a permanent fix.

At the end of the day, does the cost of a bottle of alcohol and hour of cleaning every 3 or 5 years out weigh the headset performance for what you paid?

The removal of the rubberized coating is a one-time fix. When completed, you are left with a smooth, shiny, plastic housing, which handles fine. I might even prefer it to the original rubberized grip.

Many expensive SLR cameras have the same issue, except removing the rubberized grip is often not a practical solution. This type of rubber coating seems to degrade more quickly at elevated temperatures, and of course headsets left in airplanes can get pretty hot.

It wasn't a 5 minute problem. For months and months it's been annoying me. Then I tried cleaning it with soap and water. Then I spent time all over the web before eventually finding this one thread. Then I learned that it's a known problem that Lightspeed won't stand behind. Then I set up a workspace and used dozens of paper towels with rubbing alcohol while worrying that the alcohol might damage the electronics. It seems 90% better now but still sticky on the end of the wire as well. I didn't pay nearly a thousand dollars for a fancy aviation headset to become an untrained technician for Lightspeed. It's the principle of it.
All of the top results in Google will give you the fix. And it's not that great of a defect if it can be addressed in five minutes. But for that $100, Lightspeed would send your headset back like new, with whatever parts need replaced. This isn't really a "defect" thing.

upload_2022-8-29_13-16-44.png

To remove the stickiness from old plastic which is often the plasticizer separating over time, make a thick paste of baking soda and rub it on with a toothbrush, finger, paper towel, whatever. Wipe off the excess with a paper towel or rag and let it dry. Brush with a dry toothbrush to remove any dried baking soda.

To remove the stickiness from old plastic which is often the plasticizer separating over time, make a thick paste of baking soda and rub it on with a toothbrush, finger, paper towel, whatever. Wipe off the excess with a paper towel or rag and let it dry. Brush with a dry toothbrush to remove any dried baking soda.

I'd be reluctant to use something like baking soda and water, where the water might make its way into the electronics of the control box. The problem is definitely some sort of rubberized coating that is breaking down, and alcohol on a rag, with some elbow grease, works really well to remove it. I used denatured alcohol, FWIW.

I'd be reluctant to use something like baking soda and water, where the water might make its way into the electronics of the control box. The problem is definitely some sort of rubberized coating that is breaking down, and alcohol on a rag, with some elbow grease, works really well to remove it. I used denatured alcohol, FWIW.
I agree. That’s a lot of buttons and sliders to fill with gunk.

Alcohol works just fine here, and evaporates cleanly.

icaro-scarab-aviation-helmet-with-intercom-lightspeed-zulu-3-headset.jpg

i have had nothing but great experience with lightspeed customer service over the years. when my kids were young they use to step on headsets and break something usually once/year . when I sent them back telling them it was entirely my fault and was expecting to pay for the repairs they would fix them at no charge. have 4 pairs currently.

Back