Lightspeed Sierra Mic Arm repair

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
Does anyone know how to tighten up the mic arm on a Lightspeed Sierra headset?

My Mic arm will not stay in place. It keeps falling down.

Have you asked Lightspeed? They might have a recommendation shirt of sending it in.

The mic boom on my front passenger's Sierra headset kept slipping down. Had to send it in to Lightspeed for warranty repair (sorry).

I don't have anything more helpful to add than the fact that light speed's customer service is excellent. The last time I had to send a headset in, they returned it to me by the same shipping method I used, on their dime. So if I sent the headsets overnight, they would ship them back overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you asked Lightspeed? They might have a recommendation shirt of sending it in.

I don't have anything more helpful to add than the fact that light speed's customer service is excellent. The last time I had to send a headset in, they returned it to me by the same shipping method I used, on their dime. So if I sent the headsets overnight, they would ship them back overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I concur, their customer service has been top notch in my experience. I hear the same from a lot of people as well.

Another nod to Lightspeed’s service. Very happy with them.

Also happy with their service.

I found the Sierra to be very cheaply built and stopped using it. The Zulu line and above are just better built. Worth upgrading whenever they do a trade in offer.

Someone here long ago joked...

“Lightspeed repair service is excellent, because it has to be.”

I have David Clark stuff that hasn’t needed anything in two decades and still works, with massive abuse.

No Lightspeed made would make it that long. No way. Nor Bose.

But the Lightspeeds are a lot lighter and more comfortable and better in numerous other ways.

Their switch to the Kevlar cords is neat but I wonder why. Those same DCs don’t have any sort of shielded cord but whatever they spec has worked for two decades of serious abuse. I don’t get why Lightspeed can’t spec the same material and have a much more flexible cord.

Maybe the new cords are just a marketing thing and they didn’t have the previous style being broken or coming apart, but I’m doubting that. They switched for a real reason.

Materials-wise, DC seems to have found all the nearly indestructible components and materials long long ago. Whether their newer stuff is that good, I can’t say. They didn’t come out with a full ear ANR that wasn’t massive, with the features of the Lightspeeds fast enough, so they lost me. Now I really have no reason to buy anything so they missed their window for me spending anything on them.

I know if I had to go fly literally in the middle of nowhere where no shipments could be received for long times, the Lightspeeds would go, but so would a pair of DC head clamps. Because the Lightspeeds WOULD eventually break. And the old DCs wouldn’t. The DCs are always in my hangar for extra passengers and backups.

I just sent my LS Zulu 2 in to have the mic boom repaired. Seems to be a common problem with the headsets. Interestingly, when I spoke with their customer service rep, the gal asked if I put the mic muff up against my lips when I used the headset, and I confirmed that I did. She told me that is an incorrect way to use them, that the mic was designed to sit away from the lips when being used and that if my voice wasn't being picked up then I should adjust the mic gain switch. As a result, people tend to pull on the boom so that the mic muff would sit in front of their mouth. Okay, made sense, especially since the boom did appear to be a little short, which resulted in me "stretching" it to ensure the mic sat centered over my mouth. I still had the original box and instructions that came with the headset when I bought it three years ago, so I pulled out the instructions and read through them. It said to place the mic 1/8 inch from the mouth. Which is really saying put it as close as possible to the mouth, like other headset mics. No mention of the mic being designed to sit away from the mouth.

Anyway, their customer service and five year warranty is fantastic. But if I had to replace the headset, which I will eventually, I would look at a pair of DC's instead.

Does anyone know how to tighten up the mic arm on a Lightspeed Sierra headset?

My Mic arm will not stay in place. It keeps falling down.

Hello, for future reference to anyone. The mic boom is a simple fix actually. All you need is a screwdriver, a crescent wrench and 15 minutes. Start by going to the ear muff with the mic boom. Take off the ear muff, peal the foam lining off as well(it is hot glued in so peel slowly and try and get the old glue off as well. There is 4 small screws to separate the housing. It’s not sealed or anything like that so it splits open easily. That’s the side with the amplifiers and circuit board so don’t touch with anything metal and of course no water. You’ll see the nut that attaches the mic boom to the headset and all you have to do is use the small crescent wrench and tighten up a bit. Reverse order and you’re all set.

Hello, for future reference to anyone. The mic boom is a simple fix actually. All you need is a screwdriver, a crescent wrench and 15 minutes. Start by going to the ear muff with the mic boom. Take off the ear muff, peal the foam lining off as well(it is hot glued in so peel slowly and try and get the old glue off as well. There is 4 small screws to separate the housing. It’s not sealed or anything like that so it splits open easily. That’s the side with the amplifiers and circuit board so don’t touch with anything metal and of course no water. You’ll see the nut that attaches the mic boom to the headset and all you have to do is use the small crescent wrench and tighten up a bit. Reverse order and you’re all set.

Attachments

• 51AD3B9C-E0B4-45D1-B0EF-E21780301236.jpeg
    51AD3B9C-E0B4-45D1-B0EF-E21780301236.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 6D49B577-5568-4F4A-BFA7-E02A9C056E17.jpeg
    6D49B577-5568-4F4A-BFA7-E02A9C056E17.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 54
  • F6AAB774-FB74-4B7B-AF28-85D0A67BBE35.jpeg
    F6AAB774-FB74-4B7B-AF28-85D0A67BBE35.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 56
  • F5E0E0DA-B17F-4E86-989C-34630DF6D070.jpeg
    F5E0E0DA-B17F-4E86-989C-34630DF6D070.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 52
I'll have to disagree. They USED to be excellent. They've been pretty awful of late.

LOL. They’ve switched to using the Steve Jobs line...

“You’re using it wrong.”

Slip a #15 rubber o-ring from Home Depot over the boom hub to eliminate rotary and axial freeplay. Looks like it was part of the design. upload_2021-9-25_13-38-45.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-25_9-51-40.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-25_9-51-40.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 16
When you store the lightspeed Zulu 3 in its case you have to rotate the mic boom all the way up pointing to the top of the headset. This means every time you're using the headset you pull it down to place it in front of your face and then you push the mic boom back up the top of the headset to store it. I wonder if that eventually loosens the boom mic...?

I just had my zulu boom fixed.
The headset came back fixed and with nee ear seals and head pads.
No charge.

Have any of you owned both the Bose A20 and the Zulu Lightspeed? Which was better or were they about the same?

Have any of you owned both the Bose A20 and the Zulu Lightspeed? Which was better or were they about the same?
In my closet I own a Bose A20, Lightspeed Zulu 3 and David Clark One-X. They each have their plusses and minuses, but overall they're all comparable. For everyday use, I usually reach for the Zulu 3, mainly because of the hard-sided case and kevlar cables.

Back