Level 1 vs Level 3 - Just getting started.

Lisa Bailey

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mrs. Bailey
Hello everyone,

I'm new here. Starting this journey at 51 years old. Can anyone help me out with some information regarding the physical exams. I don't really have any known medical issues. I do use readers. What exactly am I looking at in these exams. Thanks so much.

If you can hear, see and don't have any issues such as you say, you'll be fine. Its not that big of a deal.

You can't say that. If the OP has any neurological, past substance abuse, or cardiac issues, it can be a big deal. Calling @AggieMike88 , can you post your medical primer here?

I have some information to share.... but it's on a laptop hard drive at home....

So I'll let the others comment and then provide my information later today.

Well it all depends on what you’re looking to do in aviation.

I’d say it ranges from you don’t need a medical at all, up to you need a 1st class.

Don't confuse being in good health with the ability to pass the FAA medical exam. There are a number of things that the FAA is paranoid about. These are the instructions: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ces/aam/ame/guide/media/applicant history.pdf Read them. Pay particular attention to sections 17 and 18. Anything that comes up here is a big red flag. Also ANY visits to a mental health professional. For the vast majority of people it is a totally no big deal - can you fog a mirror? But for the few, the proud, the err... nevermind. For the few of the rest of us, nightmare.

If there is any doubt, ask the AME for a consultation. If they balk - find another AME. You do not want to try and fail - this locks you out of options such as sport pilot, but if you fail to try, they you may still be good to go.

Medical classes oversimplified: None: Glider, Part 103 ultralight. Valid drivers license: Sport Pilot (2 seats, 1320 pounds gross, speed limitations). Third - private pilot. Second: Commercial pilot (e.g banner tow). First: Airline Pilot.

Don't confuse being in good health with the ability to pass the FAA medical exam. There are a number of things that the FAA is paranoid about. These are the instructions: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/applicant history.pdf Read them. Pay particular attention to sections 17 and 18. Anything that comes up here is a big red flag. Also ANY visits to a mental health professional. For the vast majority of people it is a totally no big deal - can you fog a mirror? But for the few, the proud, the err... nevermind. For the few of the rest of us, nightmare.

If there is any doubt, ask the AME for a consultation. If they balk - find another AME. You do not want to try and fail - this locks you out of options such as sport pilot, but if you fail to try, they you may still be good to go.

Medical classes oversimplified: None: Glider, Part 103 ultralight. Valid drivers license: Sport Pilot (2 seats, 1320 pounds gross, speed limitations). Third - private pilot. Second: Commercial pilot (e.g banner tow). First: Airline Pilot.
Don't confuse being in good health with the ability to pass the FAA medical exam. There are a number of things that the FAA is paranoid about. These are the instructions: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/applicant history.pdf Read them. Pay particular attention to sections 17 and 18. Anything that comes up here is a big red flag. Also ANY visits to a mental health professional. For the vast majority of people it is a totally no big deal - can you fog a mirror? But for the few, the proud, the err... nevermind. For the few of the rest of us, nightmare.

I have some information to share.... but it's on a laptop hard drive at home....

So I'll let the others comment and then provide my information later today.

Thank you, ill be looking for it.

It’s one of the hardest exams you’ll ever take and only the most elite healthy can pass.

If she checks "no" in all the boxes, then she has no FAA medical issues.

I remember on the old military flight physical format, there was one question “vision in both eyes.” I use to fly thru that think checking “no” and miss that question. Flight surgeon looks up and says “you can’t see?” :D

Just looked at one of my old class 1Ws. 106 questions just in medical history alone.

It’s one of the hardest exams you’ll ever take and only the most elite healthy can pass.

Indeed!

u_fat_pilotboat.jpg

I remember on the old military flight physical format, there was one question “vision in both eyes.” I use to fly thru that think checking “no” and miss that question. Flight surgeon looks up and says “you can’t see?” :D

Just looked at one of my old class 1Ws. 106 questions just in medical history alone.

It irks me that the ONLY box I check yes is the "have you ever been diagnosed with hay fever/allergy."

It irks me that the ONLY box I check yes is the "have you ever been diagnosed with hay fever/allergy."
You must not have seen the pending update.... where they ask, "...have you ever been irked?"

She said she had no known medical issues. <shrug>

Plenty of people who have thought they were healthy have been tripped up by the medical process. To tell someone it is slam dunk is disingenuous.

That assumes that the O.P. understands the difference between real life medical issues and FAA medical issues.

Wise words.

Plenty of people who have thought they were healthy have been tripped up by the medical process. To tell someone it is slam dunk is disingenuous.

Wise words.

I don't know what kind of "process" you have to go through but I get a Class II every year and if one doesn't check yes on any of the boxes in the questionnaire,(not that I'm implying she lie) and if one can pass the hearing and sight exam and with a quick once over from the AME it isn't that difficult. But you know what Bill, I'll just stand by and let you pee all over this healthy woman's hopes and dreams.

I don't know what kind of "process" you have to go through but I get a Class II every year and if one doesn't check yes on any of the boxes in the questionnaire,(not that I'm implying she lie) and if one can pass the hearing and sight exam and with a quick once over from the AME it isn't that difficult. But you know what Bill, I'll just stand by and let you pee all over this healthy woman's hopes and dreams.

Hearing? There’s a hearing test?

Uh huh, complete with your own private booth and a cool colorful headset that never gets cleaned...yes.

Uh huh, complete with your own private booth and a cool colorful headset that never gets cleaned...yes.

Oh, my bad. Thought you were saying pilot class II. I guess the conversational tone thing the doc does is considered a “test” though.

Always hated the booth every year. Trying to distinguish between ringing in my ears and an actual tone. :D

Interesting point though. I get a combination Class II/III for controller/pilot. I guess I omitted that sort of important fact. Whoops.

Bill doesn't want any more pilots in that sky with him!!!!

. But you know what Bill, I'll just stand by and let you pee all over this healthy woman's hopes and dreams.

If living in the real world is peeing all over someone's hopes and dreams, so be it. I just think most CFIs don't do well by their students wrt/medicals. When I was a student my CFI said you're close to soloing, go get a medical. I did, but had been on eye drops as my eye pressures have always been high. No nerve damage, no vision issues, and no definite diagnosis of glaucoma, yet surprise, I got to do the SI dance. I had no idea being on that medication would cause the dance, and had I known, and had advice to start the medical process early and get a consult, I could have had my ducks in a row. As it was, I sat around with my thumb up my ass for 8 weeks when I should have been soloing.

Bill doesn't want any more pilots in that sky with him!!!!

Yeah, that's it. Big sky theory!

I would throw out a general location then consider known AME’s with a good client base. Most of us don’t go to the AME for serious medical issues, just enough to get the required paper. I don’t like the idea of picking the AME off an FAA website, unless 25, ‘bullet-proof’, and fresh off the Aircraft Carrier.

Bill, I'm just saying that Lisa said she had no known health issues other than wearing readers. As you know, any "yes" box checked on the the questionnaire is a possible red flag when reviewed by the AME. From what I've seen, these docs are pretty busy and all they have to go on is what the patient states. They aren't going to order any unnecessary tests because they don't believe the patient. If she says she's healthy and the basic check up by the doctor (which in my case listens to my heart, lungs and checks blood pressure) shows no signs of abnormality, then she passes.

Am I missing something here?

Just keep in mind, and I know you alluded to it, but choosing not to check a box for an item that applies to you is a felony. Kind of like some people who ask about a condition they have and question whether or not they really have to list it on the MedExpress.

No, I think I got it.

Just out of curiosity, what is the "SI dance?"

I too had a problem with higher pressure in my left eye. I went through a battery of tests and it was determined that I have a thicker cornea, but no glaucoma. So since I'd never been diagnosed with glaucoma, I check no on that particular box.

Just keep in mind, and I know you alluded to it, but choosing not to check a box for an item that applies to you is a felony. Kind of like some people who ask about a condition they have and question whether or not they really have to list it on the MedExpress.

Of course and that's why I said I'm not advocating she lie on the questionnaire.

For the OP, while you might believe you have no medical issues, I’d make darn sure you read over the questions on the medexpress form. If you’re on prescription meds, make sure none of them are grounding. That’s my advice.

For the OP, while you might believe you have no medical issues, I’d make darn sure you read over the questions on the medexpress form. If you’re on prescription meds, make sure none of them are grounding. That’s my advice.

No no no, you got it wrong. Just don't check any boxes and when the doctor finds you fit send it.

Somebody answer her original question: the OP wants a Third Class Medical. No charter or airline work anticipated in the immediate future, when starting at age 50!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back