Level 1 vs Level 3 - Just getting started.

Hello everyone,

I'm new here. Starting this journey at 51 years old. Can anyone help me out with some information regarding the physical exams. I don't really have any known medical issues. I do use readers. What exactly am I looking at in these exams. Thanks so much.

Welcome Lisa! What's Level 1 to Level 3? Never heard that before. Regardless, good luck with your medical and flight training. All you really need is a Third Class Medical to get started.

Don't let these men folk scare ya! They're all full of it, me included.

No no no, you got it wrong. Just don't check any boxes and when the doctor finds you fit send it.

Well my true advice is what I do every year; lie, then cheat. Obviously mark no on all questions. So yes, “no, no no” is correct in that regard. Then on examination day just be prepared for the big 4 (urine, blood pressure, hearing, eyes). First up, I sneak a urine sample in from my dog to cover my case of Glycosuria. Then, overdose on aspirin that morning to lower my BP to normal. Any brand of asprin will work. I’m blind as a bat (20/300) so I memorized the charts years ago...yes there is a number in the last color blind chart. I’m also deaf as a bat, so I memorized his 3 tricky “conversational tone” hearing test questions. The responses are “yes, no” and then, “absolutely not.” He signs my “up chit” and I’m good for another year.

Of course being 100lbs above my normal BMI has no bearing on my ability to fly professionally. It’s almost a prerequisite in EMS for CG purposes. Pretty sure that’s why God invented Velcro waste straps on flight suits. ;)

Well my true advice is what I do every year; lie, then cheat. Obviously mark no on all questions. So yes, “no, no no” is correct in that regard. Then on examination day just be prepared for the big 4 (urine, blood pressure, hearing, eyes). First up, I sneak a urine sample in from my dog to cover my case of Glycosuria. Then, overdose on aspirin that morning to lower my BP to normal. Any brand of asprin will work. I’m blind as a bat (20/300) so I memorized the charts years ago...yes there is a number in the last color blind chart. I’m also deaf as a bat, so I memorized his 3 tricky “conversational tone” hearing test questions. The responses are “yes, no” and then, “absolutely not.” He signs my “up chit” and I’m good for another year.

Of course being 100lbs above my normal BMI has no bearing on my ability to fly professionally. It’s almost a prerequisite in EMS for CG purposes. Pretty sure that’s why God invented Velcro waste straps on flight suits. ;)
I like the way you think, V!

Welcome Lisa! What's Level 1 to Level 3? Never heard that before. Regardless, good luck with your medical and flight training. All you really need is a Third Class Medical to get started.

Don't let these men folk scare ya! They're all full of it, me included.

I'm fully enjoying the responses.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back