Let's talk Grummans

Did Tigers (or other variants) have some life limited parts? I vaguely recall something about wing or spar 10K hour limit. Or am I confused?
12,000 - 12,500 hours for spar components, and 7,250 hours for the shoulder bolts.

Compare the single-engine Commander series, which are limited to between 6,500 and 19,000 hours depending on model; Piper PA-46-310P is 10,145 hours, and so on. Look at the TCDS for Part 23-certified airplanes and you might be surprised.

brian];1971644 said:
When I'm done flying, I'm going to seal up that old bird and mount a tap on the front of it - it will make one H### of a keg!

If you do that, you will *never* get rid of me. :D

A grass strip? 2 or 3 times per month.

A soggy grass strip? Once every other month or so.

Why? Because I can and have a plane capable of it. And...

...grass is where it's at! It was in the 70's and it still is today.

Personally I would never own a plane that's not excellent on grass, I love it too much. But to each his own.

Yep, pick'em trucks do better on grass than a Miata! :rofl:

Complete BS! :mad2:

How do you inspect the spar tube for corrosion?

how do you replace the fuel tank "O" rings? How would you know if they were leaking with the wings on?

Yes, it is not compulsory, but damn dumb if you don't.

I have a friend with a Tiger and I am jealous of his numbers compaired to my 0-300 powered 172. I have worked on a few. The only issue we seem to have with them is the nose gear. It's not that they are weak but need to be pulled out during annual or they will become rusted into place. The Tiger's we do this to the gear will pretty much fall out yearly, some have not been done in a long time, those can take several hours. All of the owners have great things to say about them and enjoy them. One owner flies to Catilina at least 20X a year, that runway has pot holes that can eat a plane up. His gear has been fine every year.

EDIT, sorry Grum man, didn't see your post.

Yep! Not too tough. Two bolts and it drops right out, if done every year or two and properly serviced.

Did Tigers (or other variants) have some life limited parts? I vaguely recall something about wing or spar 10K hour limit. Or am I confused?

I really like how they look and hope to get a ride in one someday.

John

Service Life Limit:
Information with respect to service life limited parts on this Model is contained in the applicable manufacturer's service manual, "Model AA-5, AA-5A, AA-5B, AG-5B Service Manual," Section 3-00, "Service Life Limited Components." Service life limits appearing in this manual may not be changed without FAA Engineering approval. Service life limited parts must be retired in accordance with the following schedule:

Inboard Spar Assembly 12,000 hours
Wing Spar Assembly 12,500 hours
Wing Outboard Spar assembly 12,500 hours
Shoulder Bolt. 7,250 hours

how do you replace the fuel tank "O" rings? How would you know if they were leaking with the wings on?

Tom-D, I am not going to try and educate you on the Grumman's. I have seen your arguments with Ron, and will not go there.

I have owned both a Cheetah and now a Tiger for over 15 years, have done owner assists for EVERY annual, so pretty much know the maintenance needs.

No need for me to argue with the uniformed! :no:

Agreed, but IIRC that only applies to the AA-1 series right? I don't think the 5 uses the same main spar. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's one or the other, but yeah, if you have them you should do them I'd say at least every 500hrs/5 years.

Lots of room for the wife and her stuff she needs in the condo. On our way to Hilton Head last summer.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 89
Agreed, but IIRC that only applies to the AA-1 series right? I don't think the 5 uses the same main spar. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's one or the other, but yeah, if you have them you should do them I'd say at least every 500hrs/5 years.

Yes they are different. The AA1 uses them for fuel, the AA5 does not, they are dry. I'd check the bolts for corrosion though.

Yes they are different. The AA1 uses them for fuel, the AA5 does not, they are dry. I'd check the bolts for corrosion though.

Yeah, but that's 5 minutes, no need to pull the wing just for that.

Tom-D, I am not going to try and educate you on the Grumman's. I have seen your arguments with Ron, and will not go there.

I have owned both a Cheetah and now a Tiger for over 15 years, have done owner assists for EVERY annual, so pretty much know the maintenance needs.

No need for me to argue with the uniformed! :no:
Well then you must have read Ron's remarks about the Spar corrosion. Don't be selective about which subject you will discuss. Grumman is no different than any other aircraft for inspection, they just lack the rivets, their MM are on line and there are plenty folks that have opinions other than you.

How about the G-159? Anybody fly one of those?

Like in the G-1/TC-4C?

Yes I worked as a contract worker from 1988-1995 with the G-1 Navy TC-4C Great old fly by cable aircraft. RR Darts at 1910 horse power on their worst day.

TC-4C = Navy BN trainer for the A-6 three A6 consoles in the back for simulated bombing runs.
We had 5, of which I had turn up, and Taxi certs.

Yes, I worked on G-1's for four years, a fleet of 9 freighters operated by Orion Air and then General. 1983 to '87. Had a coworker that worked TC-4C too. I went to FlightSafety in Savannah in '84 and was Run and Taxi qual. too. Fun times! Here's a cool site for ya: http://g159hrm.com/
Very cool! So, you know what "twizzle" is!!! You're not so bad after all. LOL

Last edited:
Allegedly (I say allegedly as I've never seen one of them) there's a club at KTOA that has a bunch of AA5B's. Once I'm done with my Private on the TB-10, I'll probably get checked out on one and might rent occasionally. If I can't have a door on MY side, a big slider would be nice.

A grass strip? 2 or 3 times per month.

A soggy grass strip? Once every other month or so.

Why? Because I can and have a plane capable of it. And...

...grass is where it's at! It was in the 70's and it still is today.

Personally I would never own a plane that's not excellent on grass, I love it too much. But to each his own.

Yep, pick'em trucks do better on grass than a Miata! :rofl:

That's why I'd never own a later model 172 or 182. The straight tails are far more nimble and responsive. They're also lighter and quicker. The glareshields are lots lower and visibility far better.

I've had one of each (both a 172 and 182 straight tail that is) and they're great all around machines. A straight tail 172 is about as much fun as it gets without going aerobatic...well except for a 170.

Last edited:

My 1977 AA-5B, LoPresti cowl, Power Flow exhaust, paint, interior and new glass done in 2007. Love this plane. Have not flown into any grass fields with it. I have owned an AA-1B and AA-1C before the Tiger. PM me if I can answer any questions.

Fly Safe,
Mike in NJ

My 1977 AA-5B, LoPresti cowl, Power Flow exhaust, paint, interior and new glass done in 2007. Love this plane.
That's pretty.

Here's our Cheetah the way it looked when we bought it in 1999, in its original avocado green and orange (the official colors of the 1970s), and then after we had it painted a year later.

N116MC-01.jpg

Dsc00028.jpg

That's pretty.

Here's our Cheetah the way it looked when we bought it in 1999, in its original avocado green and orange (the official colors of the 1970s), and then after we had it painted a year later.

Ugg, the color pallets of the 70s:eek: It's amazing how many planes still sport them, especially rental 172s.:rofl:

I love flying the Tiger! let me say it more clearly I LOVE FLYING THE TIGER!!! It is an awesome plane!

My 1977 AA-5B, LoPresti cowl, Power Flow exhaust, paint, interior and new glass done in 2007. Love this plane.

Fly Safe,
Mike in NJ

Very nice, who did your paint?

Thanks for the compliments guys. The paint was done in Mena Ark. about a year before I bought the plane.

Mike in NJ

Here is mine, original paint and interior, if you have any question just PM me.
If I recall my weight and balance numbers right, mine has a 985 useful load.

Attachments

• GRUMMAN TIGER.JPG
    GRUMMAN TIGER.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Bryan, SlipstreAm Aviation at Dallas Exec has Cheetahs. I had actually considered taking a flight out there sometime, too. Problem is, it's east of 360, and there are so few reasons worth driving to that part of the world.

Bryan, SlipstreAm Aviation at Dallas Exec has Cheetahs. I had actually considered taking a flight out there sometime, too. Problem is, it's east of 360, and there are so few reasons worth driving to that part of the world.
Hopefully he does... I mentioned them in post #12. And it's not SUCH a bad location. Redbird is under construction but it's a pretty decent place. I fly out of there every week.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208241914791755&set=o.183280941731395&type=3&theater

Hopefully he does... I mentioned them in post #12. And it's not SUCH a bad location. Redbird is under construction but it's a pretty decent place. I fly out of there every week.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208241914791755&set=o.183280941731395&type=3&theater

Oops ... sorry about that. I was playing catch-up, and must have skimmed over that one. I usually try to not be that guy that makes a "new" suggestion in a thread for the 2nd or 3rd time.

Have about 250 hours in the an AA5B & AA5A before switching to the V35 and have to admit I kind of mis the little tiger. In no way would I trade back, but the Tiger was a lot of fun to fly for the $100 hamburger runs and just around the pattern for sight seeing where the V35 just wants to climb and go somewhere.

The tiger was nimble, responsive, and fast for fixed gear 180hp (planned for 125-130kt cruise) and the cabin was comfortable (but the factory seats lack of lumbar support were horrible for long flights).

-Easy to fly and reminded a little of a mooney when landing (IE hit your numbers or float 1/2 way down the runway)

-Caster nose wheel - Love it with the differential braking
-Grass fields - No problem just dont want too long of grass with the wheel pants

The one thing I dont hear too much about in this discussion was the Loading capability. Remove the rear head rests & fold the seats FLAT, slide the canopy back and shovel big bags in. We have loaded Golf clubs snow boards, bicycles and mucho camping gear for Two people in the grummans. Which made the large luggage door on the bonanza a requirement so we were not stepping back in the luggage category.

Attached is a picture of an oskosh trip (made it 3 times in the grummans)

Attachments

• 20140727_093546.jpg
    20140727_093546.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 20140727_094439.jpg
    20140727_094439.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
My current obsession is a Tiger with Power-Flow exhaust and a LoPresti speed cowl. There are a couple Tigers floating around in the $35k range just itching to be suped up. Heck, a well loved Cheetah can be found in the mid-20's. Put the same mods on it with a 160hp STC you almost get the speed of a Tiger but with an O-320 motor up front.

Two more bits of miscellany:

1. The first time I pulled back the canopy it sort of felt like opening a coffin. The feeling eventually passed, though.

2. Asking ATC for flight following you sound like a North Carolina sprout farmer ("Grumman 12345 is type Alfalfa Fife...")

Back