Lets talk about Airplane upgrades

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
Lets say you won a shopping spree for 100K. The drawback is you have to spend it on an airplane that you already own and you cannot spend it on fuel. What kind of upgrades would you get and why?

Last edited:
New panel, two axis A/P, new paint, and keep the rest for a new engine later. If I had to spend it now I'd rip the guts out and do a restore. There is already a new interior in it.

New panel: $30,000
Autopilot: $20,000
Paint: $15,000
Engine: $20,000
Interior: $6,000
Adds up quick (if my numbers are realistic)

New panel for sure. I bet I could save 100 lbs if I had a modern panel and a modern autopilot.

I'd do the paint and interior in my Conquest and if I had enough leftover change the radar to a more modern one like a Garmin.

Only 100K? Reminds me of the old joke:

What would you do if you win a million dollars?
"Pay back debt"

And the rest?
"I'll just have to pay that back later."

Last edited:
would gas for plane, hookers to 'ride' in said plane and blow to keep said hookers happy count?

If so i'd do that.

Add that all in one EI systems panel replacement, BAS harness, set of 29 ABWS and a baby bush wheel, put the rest in an account for a 550 conversion when my 520 hits TBO (a ways away at my present hours Im putting on the plane).

Maybe get those Ti gear lets and a black Mac prop.

Recover and paint, interior, add a G500. That's probably about as far as $100k would go.

1. Brand new motor, including a new exhaust stack. No reman here. Hello IO-550 with Gami's.
2. Brand new prop & prop governor. Hello Simitar.
3. New gear motor
4. New flap motor.
5. All new rod ends for the landing gear.

After this I'd have one plane that will go a LONG time and there won't be much maint. for a while.

I wouldn't spend $1 on a panel or autopilot until part 23 rewrite is clarified. If we can put the G3x in certified planes, panel upgrades will take on a whole new level of excitement, not to mention at significant cost savings.

Depends on the airplane you own,would be tough to spend 100 k to upgrade a 152,Cherokee 150.,on the other hand 100 k would not cover all the upgrades on a light twin,like my old Travelair.

The $100K in this thread's scenario would go much, much farther in an experimental aircraft. The last estimate I got for a new panel on my Piper Pathfinder was $50K, back in 2013.

Instead, I sold the plane, bought an RV, and put in a MORE sophisticated panel for $11K.

Heck, with $100K I could buy a new CS prop, new engine, and have plenty left over for custom paint and a lifetime supply of Shiner Bock...

Last edited:
2-axis autopilot
new paint
all the knots2u upgrades
electronic ignition
Mogas STC
LED lighting all around
GTN750 + GTN650 avionics
Some kind of PFD with synthetic vision
New seats
new interior if I have any money left

I would spend it all in demonstrating to the FAA the suitability of a major alteration comprised of installing the Cherokee Six-260 engine on an Arrow II, with Arrow III fuel tanks retrofitted. I'd get the vanity privilege of being the STC holder for the "Dakota RG conversion" and generally roll up like a pimp to the ramp on my unique Cherokee.

And if they shoot me down, hey, that thing had an IO-540 when I bought it man, what modification?¿ :D

P.Ponk O-470-50 Super Eagle + prop

Paint

Interior

If this was for real, I'd probably actually do the following:
Paint
Interior
Re-arrange instruments to six pack (keep the steam gauges)
ADS-B transponder
Engine monitor
Have my autopilot fixed, or more likely replaced. (it's a Tactair unit that nobody knows anything about)
LED lights all around

If there is anything left, save it for overhaul

Last edited:
We just put a whole new Garmin stack in the club's 182. GTN 650, GNC 255, GTX 345 and GMA 340. I don't know what it cost, but after playing with it today it's worth every penny. Now, for the rest of that $100k... :)

But those are the rules of this oddly specific contest.

I would just go with diamond studded ailerons and a solid gold set of truck nuts to dangle off the back.

No gold plated chute handle?

-New interior
-Re-configure panel to standard 6-pack
-New stack (likely 650/750 plus ADS-B xponder and an audio panel)
-engine monitor (likely one of the primary replacement models)
-remainder towards a P-Ponk -50 and prop for overhaul time.

I could find ways to spend $10,000 but not 100K.

I found that my nature is to research carefully, shop around, find the best deals, weigh the pros and cons, discuss my options with a couple of A/PS, and then think about it for a week or so. By the time I'd spent 100k I would be dead.

New paint and interior to make her purdy again! After that I suppose I would upgrade the panel to glass. Not much else to be done at this point.

Spending 100k on a 31k airplane? That's like putting a shine on a turd.

But if you actually won something why not?

Add that all in one EI systems panel replacement, BAS harness, set of 29 ABWS and a baby bush wheel, put the rest in an account for a 550 conversion when my 520 hits TBO (a ways away at my present hours Im putting on the plane).

Maybe get those Ti gear lets and a black Mac prop.

Would the 550 be a remanufactured or new?

Recover and paint, interior, add a G500. That's probably about as far as $100k would go.

How much would an installation of a G500 cost?

I'm surprised no one mentioned installing gear to sell airplane. I guess everyone likes their current airplane.

Would the 550 be a remanufactured or new?

I'd go reman on some stuff, new (like jugs) on other stuff. Spending money just to spend money isn't good, even if it's "prize" money.

I'm surprised no one mentioned installing gear to sell airplane. I guess everyone likes their current airplane.

Some folks like their airframe, for me the only logical upgrades from what I have would be something like a DHC-2 or a PC-6, and unless that 100k comes with a ton of avgas or jeta, those two would drink me into the poor house lol, plus I don't think there are any hangars at my airport that would fit a amphib beaver or porter ;)

Last edited:
Yup same logic.

People won't pay for a decked to the 9s 150, even if it does everything their REAL world mission requires.

But they'll spend 100k on a ratted out Barron with fresh paint.

[QUOTE="FloridaPilot, post: 2115291, member: 18495"

How much would an installation of a G500 cost?[/QUOTE]

In the ballpark of $20-25k.

Only a 100k?
New engine, glass panel with glass secondary, lose the vacuum stuff, repaint....

Because you will only recoup a fraction of the 100k you put into it. Your stipulations were that "you have to spend it on an airplane that you already own" You may as well throw at least half that money out the window because you won't get that back on re-sale.

Half would be put back for an engine/prop/gear mx. The other half I'd use to put in a 650 or 750, plus an adsb transponder.

Stick it in an investment making 3% and spend $3000/year on fuel and maintenance.

So roughly 25 hours more of flying per year for free. Haha.

Whole new panel with a full IFR package with ADS-B, waas GPS, backup radio, a 406 ELT, and new interior. Spend the rest on cleaning up the exterior. No sense making the inside beautiful if the outside is still a 3.

Garmin GTX ADS-B in and out. $6,600.00. S-Tec 55X auto pilot with electric trim. $27,930.00. Aspen Pro 1000 PFD with Syn vision. $14,900.00. The other $50k interior and exterior paint.

No one would pimp that thing out?
Chrome spoked wheels
Gold plated trim
Shag carpet
She carpet on the dash
Seat covers
Curb feelers
Wine and cheese fridge(will also hold beer and pretzels)
Inflatable mattress
Tailwheel for your c172, don't need it but hey, it looks cool my man
Subwoofer- you know you want wan for the pancake breakfast do you can roll in bumpin some tunes
Mercedes hood ornament

Anything I missed?

Back