Lets make Friday 'Joke Day'!

I made a similar egregious misstep this weekend by trying to get my passenger's (a girl) weight at our Gaston's fly in. I promised her it was for W&B reasons needed for safe flying but she still was less than cooperative...

While a student, I was doing a W&B for a flight. I asked my instructor for her weight. She replied "128". I wrote 135 as a fudge-factor and to account for clothes and such. She repeated "128", and I said I was just being conserv... "I SAID 128". I finally got the message and wrote her weight as 128 (and then silently added 7 pounds to my weight)...

(at 5' 8", my instructor did NOT need to worry about her weight...)

I made a similar egregious misstep this weekend by trying to get my passenger's (a girl) weight at our Gaston's fly in. I promised her it was for W&B reasons needed for safe flying but she still was less than cooperative...
Pro tip: if you're afraid to ask - just over estimate by a fair margin. If you're still within the W&B envelope, less is then even better.

Pro tip: if you're afraid to ask - just over estimate by a fair margin. If you're still within the W&B envelope, less is then even better.
I used a different strategy. I said w/o knowing more I have to be conservative and I'll log her at 2-hundo.
She balked. And I said "well you're definitely not 150" (she is def below 150). Her anger intensified.
To defend her pride she then gave me a range that helped for planning ;)

There was a year I flew a 182 to Gastons, and we had to stop every hour for gas. Yes, we were that close to gross. Legend calls it the Flight of 182 Heavy.

Another way to look at that strategy is that if you overestimate by a fair margin, you are sure to receive the correct weight in snappy order!

I made a similar egregious misstep this weekend by trying to get my passenger's (a girl) weight

I found that telling the reluctant passenger that if the weight is not absolutely correct then the plane can fall out of the sky, smack into the ground, burst into flames and kill us all...

(and I usually added 15 pounds to all females weight, but I did not tell them... :lol: )

I used a different strategy. I said w/o knowing more I have to be conservative and I'll log her at 2-hundo.
She balked. And I said "well you're definitely not 150" (she is def below 150). Her anger intensified.
To defend her pride she then gave me a range that helped for planning ;)
My man. She was like a 100 dripping wet. I’ve got beer kegs that weigh more. Unless @kaiser brings his…

That may apply to weight. It may or may not apply to CG.

Tim

If you can fit into the front cockpit of my plane and get the harness buckled, we'll be within the W&B limits.:cool:

That may apply to weight. It may or may not apply to CG.

Tim
When using estimated weights, it's best to make sure the result is not close to any of the boundaries of the envelope.

When using estimated weights, it's best to make sure the result is not close to any of the boundaries of the envelope.
Agree, I was just commenting on the number of pilots focused only on the weight of the passengers, not the effect the passenger has on the CG.

Tim

Warning: Be careful when using global variables!

5syrcd341ksb1.jpg

Back