Lets make Friday 'Joke Day'!

@Zeldman wrote:
Many years ago the town I grew up in had a 8am, noon and 5pm steam whistle.

One time a steam locomotive came through town. It sounded the same, and threw everyone off schedule for lunch...

I grew up in West Hartford, CT. The Pratt and Whitney factory in East Hartford set off two whistles: One at 8:55am that meant "run" to all the employees outside the factory.

Then at 8am there was another whistle that meant "OK, walk because you are already late". *sigh*

-Skip

A general wants to reserve a jeep from the motor pool. His assistant is out so he makes the call himself.

"Motor pool"

"Hello, yes, I'd like to reserve a jeep for General Franklin"

"Well it better be a big jeep if fatass Franklin wants to go for a ride in it."

The General is furious over the insult.

"SON! DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU'RE ADRESSING?"

"No" replies the motor pool attendant

"THIS IS GENERAL FRANKLIN!"

"Well General, do you know who you are addressing?"

"NO! WHO?" the general screams.

"Bye fatass..." and the soldier hangs up the phone.

ba543ps7wh5c1.jpeg

I'll see that and raise you one.
(This is from a few years ago; I suspect the contract is running a teeny bit behind schedule....)

View attachment 123188

View attachment 123189
Ruh roh...
LMT contracted for the sleigh?
Well kids, Xmas is cancelled this year. Sleigh is def gonna be delivered after the deadline and definitely over budget; eating into the gift money no doubt. Gifts ETA is sometime in Q3 next year.

The mother is exemplifying exposition, which as I understand it, is the practice of having characters explain things to the readers of a fictional composition.

The mother is exemplifying exposition, which as I understand it, is the practice of having characters explain things to the readers of a fictional composition.
Exactly!

Exposition is providing the background and setting of the characters, in this case with a bit of foreshadowing. Clearly eluding to a catastrophic event that is going to occur where the family becomes relevant.

No pop culture knowledge needed.

Sorry it didn't hit home with the writers here!

Exactly!

Exposition is providing the background and setting of the characters, in this case with a bit of foreshadowing. Clearly eluding to a catastrophic event that is going to occur where the family becomes relevant.

No pop culture knowledge needed.

Sorry it didn't hit home with the writers here!

I understood it; it just didn’t strike me as funny. Probably because I’m not a writer.

Ooohhh-kaaay. Well, glad to have that cleared up. :rolleyes2:

Ha, Ha, Ha yes, that is a rip snorter of a joke. have to show that one to the guys at work.

Last edited:
My wife and I were at a married couples counseling meeting today.

The speaker was asking the audience random questions.

Then he called on me and said, "Sir, do you know what your wife's favorite flower is?"

Feeling kind of singled out, I turned to my wife and said, "It's self-rising, isn't it?"

Then everyone burst out laughing, and that's how the fight started.

Ooohhh-kaaay. Well, glad to have that cleared up. :rolleyes2:

Ha, Ha, Ha yes, that is a rip snorter of a joke. have to show that one to the guys at work.
Some people appreciate irony more than others.

Personally, I found it mildly amusing, but not ROFL-worthy. There's no law that says everyone has to find the same things amusing.

My wife and I were at a married couples counseling meeting today.

The speaker was asking the audience random questions.

Then he called on me and said, "Sir, do you know what your wife's favorite flower is?"

Feeling kind of singled out, I turned to my wife and said, "It's self-rising, isn't it?"

Then everyone burst out laughing, and that's how the fight started.

For me the fight started when I suggeested the reason her feet were smaller than mine ... so she could stand closer to the sink! :)

Charles had been waiting years since law school for this very moment. The penguin sitting next to him nervously flapped his winglets in anticipation.

"Your honor" Charles sounded with authority. "My client is not a flight risk!"

Back