Lets make Friday 'Joke Day'!

b730c13ca327f799195b8127bc1bf5ef.jpg

I taught private jazz piano lessons at SU for a few years. A few of the students actually had good work ethics, but it wasn't the norm. For each student, I kept careful handwritten notes in my notebook of their assignments, things we discussed at each lesson, deficiencies and strengths, and suggestions I made to help them improve. Every one of them was told at their first lesson that they should bring a notebook or some other means of keeping similar records for their own daily and weekly use to help them prepare for each lesson. One of the kids, a particularly lazy consistently ill-prepared example, arrived for several weeks in a row without a notebook, inquired as to what he was supposed to have done the past week, and in general didn't do anything other than be a nice pleasant person who had some decent piano skills.. just no jazz background. During his fourth lesson when I was admonishing him for the fourth time that he needed to bring a notebook and take his own notes, he asked me why he couldn't just take a picture of my notes. I couldn't believe I had to explain that to him.
I was teaching there as part time adjunct faculty after 31 years of full time public school orchestral music teaching. I thought it'd be nice to finally be surrounded by advanced motivated students who would really be interested in what I had to offer them. Let's just say the percentage of truth in that wasn't any better than public school. They all improved, and yes, I felt like I was doing all of them SOME good, but I couldn't take it anymore. I re-retired after five semesters of that. I'm feeling MUCH better now. Now, I just perform with great professional players who take their craft seriously, and I have one private student who is a joy. He has never asked to take pictures of my notes, he keeps his OWN notebook, and he is consistently prepared. He is also in 9th grade. I had exactly two college music majors with a work ethic as good as this 9th grader.

Dung Beetle Walks in to a bar .
Asks Bartender ,
" Is this stool taken? "

A bass player walks out of a bar.....

Ok, yeah...that never happened..

Back