Let the wait begin.....

We go in Monday for the install. I went ahead and decided to take care of the ADS-B while it was in the shop and torn apart. I can’t wait!

Sounds like Garmin can't make them fast enough. Can't wait to see the specials and rebates at Sun N Fun in 2 weeks.

I don't know, based on the opinions of the E5 that I'm reading, Garmin's wait list may get longer and the prices may go up. Who knows?

Dual G5's are on order! Hopefully, install in April sometime. I am terrible at waiting!

Sorry but I already snagged your set :)

Attachments

• IMG_3534.JPG
    IMG_3534.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3535.JPG
    IMG_3535.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3537.JPG
    IMG_3537.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 64
Oh dang! Well, at least they are looking good!

I'm bummed, I had to put my install off for various reasons... principal among them the fact that it's warming up, I kept getting delayed by the shop, and I'm just not going to put my airplane down for the work in the prime flying season.

That, and the fact that I got a bunch of unexpected bills last month. :)

Keep the dual G5 pics coming... I'll have to be happy with my G5 ADI until the winter, most likely.

Well, she went under the knife this morning. I went ahead and through in the Status ESi to take care of the ADS-B need. Updates as soon as I get them.

Nope, change in plans. GMU is going in the back fuselage. About 2 ribs aft of the battery box.

Seems like just about everyone in the PA-24/PA-30 community is mounting it in the aft fuse too.

Why? Pros, cons?
Just not enough room to work and access in the wing is very limited. To keep the GMU located a safe distance from anything that could cause interference issues, the wing just became undoable. So, sheilded wiring was ran to the beacon and rear Nav light and a new location has been selected to mount the GMU. Ans yes, it will be mounted as such that it will be clear of all the cabling and servos. I think it is the more proper location. But I definitely defer to the experts in my avionics shop.

Just not enough room to work and access in the wing is very limited. To keep the GMU located a safe distance from anything that could cause interference issues, the wing just became undoable. So, sheilded wiring was ran to the beacon and rear Nav light and a new location has been selected to mount the GMU. Ans yes, it will be mounted as such that it will be clear of all the cabling and servos. I think it is the more proper location. But I definitely defer to the experts in my avionics shop.

I'm putting it in the wingtip, several have reported good results there and I will never have to worry about relocating it later due to autopilot servos being installed near it.

I should have taken a picture tonight when I went in to check on progress, but they did an excellent job of building a platform that the GMU is mounted on. It is affixed in the upper right portion of the rear fuselage. Well out of the way of all rigging and servos. I’m very impressed with their ingenuity. I will try to get a picture before it’s all buttoned back up.

I should have taken a picture tonight when I went in to check on progress, but they did an excellent job of building a platform that the GMU is mounted on. It is affixed in the upper right portion of the rear fuselage. Well out of the way of all rigging and servos. I’m very impressed with their ingenuity. I will try to get a picture before it’s all buttoned back up.

It’d be neat to see how they attached it to the structure.

Yeah, the GFC500 pitch servo goes in the upper RH tailcone area, right about where the dorsal fin starts I think. The pitch trim servo is just aft of the baggage closout about 12 inches or so in the middle of the belly on the bottom.

Best shot I could get of the GMU.....

And the coming back together pics....

Attachments

• 1DD78368-CB4B-4BB7-B80B-C91618B10404.jpeg
    1DD78368-CB4B-4BB7-B80B-C91618B10404.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 3849DAC4-F375-4066-8B25-884E1E8B99FB.jpeg
    3849DAC4-F375-4066-8B25-884E1E8B99FB.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 57
  • 60AB8CFA-099D-4A6B-BA7E-19BD71B15B0A.jpeg
    60AB8CFA-099D-4A6B-BA7E-19BD71B15B0A.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 56
I was sick the last couple weeks, just enough to make me stop work on the 182 and still make it to work but at any rate, we had some beautiful weather and I was able to paint some parts with leftover Sherwin Williams polane T (same stuff as McCauley prop manual says to use). I ended up just taking the floating gyro panel out, and reusing those screw holes to mount this .040" thick sheet to hold the G5s.

I still need to cut the plastic overlay to fit, figure out exactly how I'm plumbing it all together etc. I just sent the altimeter, VSI, and ASI out for overhaul and new dials.

Attachments

• IMG_3574.JPG
    IMG_3574.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 32
Back