Lesson you had to learn the hard way.

CessnaTom

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Thomas_McCray
Let's hear some stories about the lesson you had to learn the hardest way.
The worst one. Or a simple one you should of got right the first time.

One time in Afghanistan I shut down on an LZ that was “NOTAMd” as a non shutdown because of threat. 30 minutes after shutdown standing around our aircraft, a rocket screams over our heads and lands 100M away. Note to self, check all LZ NOTAMs in the future! ;)

Last edited:
Holy Shirt!
One time in Afghanistan I shut down on an LZ that was “NOTAMd out” as a non shutdown because of threat. 30 minutes after shutdown standing around our aircraft, a rocket screams over our heads and lands 100M away. Note to self, check all LZ NOTAMs in the future! ;)
Holy Shirt!

As a 4 year old it took me 3 times to learn to not step on a lit cigarette on the ground....

Bare footed.

When you’ve had a great day riding at the track, don’t go out for the proverbial “one more ride”...

Still wish I had video of that get-off...I hear it was spectacular...

There are so many... but the best ones are far, far too embarrassing to ever admit to in public.

When you’ve had a great day riding at the track, don’t go out for the proverbial “one more ride”...

Still wish I had video of that get-off...I hear it was spectacular...

My last ride at Lake Elsinore MX ended in a broken left arm. Those who saw it could only say, Brooooooooooo......that was crazy!" Bent frame, broken Pro Tapers, peg ripped off. Go big or go home. I went big and went to the hospital instead.

My last ride at Lake Elsinore MX ended in a broken left arm. Those who saw it could only say, Brooooooooooo......that was crazy!" Bent frame, broken Pro Tapers, peg ripped off. Go big or go home. I went big and went to the hospital instead.

Yikes...I remember the first time I saw a broken set of Pro Tapers, I had no idea they were that thick in the middle. The peg and frame is some nice work...

Mine was a fourth-gear pass into a set of whoops...front end dropped and that was all she wrote. Somehow I made my bike mad, and the throttle tube got jammed on the end of the bars wide open...just in time for the rear wheel to use my chest for traction as I was laying on my back about 3 whoops down. Good times. Add it to the many times I’ve laid on the track contemplating my choice of hobbies...

A bit of career wisdom. Bosses only get to screw you over once or twice a year, at review or promo time, but subordinates can screw you every day. Treat them well.

Don’t say yes to painting a deck without checking weather. It’s 95* out there, I got char broiled...

When you put two wheels off the track in turn 9 at Roebling, just continue off the track and slow down in the dirt. Do not try to just pull back on, lest you spin to the inside and smack the pit road wall at >100mph.

If you lose focus and step out of line, Ted WILL drop the banhammer on yo a-double-s

Chicks be crazy

Still haven't quite learned.

Don't prop the top of a ladder against the eave of your roof if the ground underneath is soft. And then try to climb it.

Never flare an arrow 180 too soon ,or get behind the power curve.

Or as Robin Williams used to say, men only have enough blood in their body to use one head or the other, but not both at the same time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back