Legal Question On Personal Property

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I found an iPhone (Verizon version) in the road and turned it in to a Verizon store and I asked them to find the owner and they said they would. Two days later I find the owners (a young couple) and tell them where I turned it in. They immediately went to a Verizon store and they cannot find the phone, in fact they lie to the couple and tell them no one turned in any phones. :eek:

I talked to the salesman I gave the phone to (he remembered me) and I talked to the manager who said the phone had been "recycled". :eek:

There is a duty landlords have to hold personal property for minimum of 30 days before disposing of it, and an attempt must be made to contact the tenant to inform them you have their stuff. It then must be returned with NO strings attached.

Is there any such duty a retailer has to hold personal property turned in to a store?

You know how young people are, they had their whole life of pictures on this phone, downloaded music, ect. They are devastated.

Last edited:
I found an iPhone (Verizon version) in the road and turned it in to a Verizon store and I asked them to find the owner and they said they would. Two days later I find the owners (a young couple) and tell them where I turned it in. They immediately went to a Verizon store and they cannot find the phone, in fact they lie to the couple and tell them no one turned in any phones. :eek:

I talked to the salesman I gave the phone to (he remembered me) and I talked to the manager who said the phone had been "recycled". :eek:

There is a duty landlords have to hold personal property for minimum of 30 days before disposing of it, and an attempt must be made to contact the tenant to inform them you have their stuff. It then must be returned with NO strings attached.

Is there any such duty a retailer has to hold personal property turned in to a store?

You know how young people are, they had their whole life of pictures on this phone, downloaded music, ect. They are devastated.

I admire your attempt to do the right thing.

That is not cool that they "recycled" the phone after 2 days. It sure should have not been that hard to figure out whose phone it was.

I admire your attempt to do the right thing.

That is not cool that they "recycled" the phone after 2 days. It sure should have not been that hard to figure out whose phone it was.

It isn't, all they had to do was look up the phone number, or ESN and see who's account it was on. It was probably sold out the back door.

I had an employee drop her phone in water. I needed her to have a phone, she said she didn't have the money to replace it. We go to the local strip center phone store and the guy offers to sell us a fully setup 6 month old phone for $40 IF we pay cash. I did, the phone worked, we left.

I'll bet any amount of money that $40 never saw the till. I believe there is quite a market for no contract "recycled" phones. These people make $10 an hour what can you expect?

Well, I've been doing some research. In Nebraska retailers have a duty to notify the owner of abandoned property. They must, in writing attempt to locate the owner. If the owner does not response they are required by law to turn the property over to the State Treasure! They cannot sell it or "recycle it".

Tomorrow, I'll help this couple file a law suit against Verizon. I hate bullies. :mad:

Verizon owned store or just a Verizon "dealer"?

I would think the least they could have done was look up the phone's owner and email or call an alternate number!:nono: If the phone isn't locked, you could look up home in the contacts and call, but most phones need a code now to unlock them:dunno: Sounds like the manager of the store needs to replace the phone or start hunting a job. If it's a Verizon owned store, they don't put up with funny business, at least here they don't! :no:

I would think the least they could have done was look up the phone's owner and email or call an alternate number!:nono: If the phone isn't locked, you could look up home in the contacts and call, but most phones need a code now to unlock them:dunno: Sounds like the manager of the store needs to replace the phone or start hunting a job. If it's a Verizon owned store, they don't put up with funny business, at least here they don't! :no:

I totally agree. As a retailer in this area they are bound by the laws of the State. Beyond that, they are bound by the laws of decency, and they broke both.

I totally agree. As a retailer in this area they are bound by the laws of the State. Beyond that, they are bound by the laws of decency, and they broke both.

I have no idea what the state law is, unfortunately being a d-bag isn't against the law! They could have been heroes by spending maybe 5 minutes on their computer, but decided to stick $50.00 in their pockets instead, very sad! :mad2:

I once found an iPhone left in a mens room at a hotel I was just about to leave. I debated what to do, as I really waned to get it back to the owner. I decided to slide the unlock button and searched the phone book and I either looked for "Home" or "Ice" I can't recall which. I got the guy's wife ( he was away for a golf weekend) and told her I was turning the phone into the front desk.

Larry, you did right. Not sure the 30 day rule will apply as the property was not abandoned in the store but rather you bought property into the store from somewhere else. Shame on the store, I really have to believe that given the advanced nature of the iPhone the Verizon store could have with a modest amount of effort figured out who owned the phone.

I'd take it to the next level and determine 'zackly how their "recycling" process works. If the guy pocketed some cash, his bosses might like to know how it happened.

The photos should be in the cloud . . . everything should have been in the cloud.

Does not excuse Verizon store employees and manager for being a stupid a-hole.

Should not Verizon be able to track where the phone is by its unique identification number?

Should not Verizon be able to track where the phone is by its unique identification number?

these people should have also installed 'Where's My Phone' app too - and configured it properly.

Verizon store on 5200 O street? :dunno:

That's Verizon "mainline" ...the notion of even going in those places absolutely benumbes me ..they way they attack you like your in a Hatian prison..

Certainly, they resold it and know where that person is, but the phone was probably reset to factory settings and deleted all of the personal stuff.

Cloud retention is interesting. We'll have to check this out. Thanks. :D

Last edited:
Larry, you did right. Not sure the 30 day rule will apply as the property was not abandoned in the store but rather you bought property into the store from somewhere else. Shame on the store, I really have to believe that given the advanced nature of the iPhone the Verizon store could have with a modest amount of effort figured out who owned the phone.

Thanks, I think we all should try and help each other in situations like this. Doing the right thing when no one is looking is the ultimate judge of character.

I think you may be right. I will do some more investigation with the treasurer's office and talk to the police. This just bugs the crap out of me.

Wasn't there talk some time ago about a national database for cell phone registration. This was part of a story about muggings over iPhones and iPads. It would seem to me an easy thing for vendors to identify a stolen phone and forward the information to the police. In most cases, it would be grand larceny.
Can the ESN be changed? What about locked vs unlocked phones?

Wasn't there talk some time ago about a national database for cell phone registration. This was part of a story about muggings over iPhones and iPads. It would seem to me an easy thing for vendors to identify a stolen phone and forward the information to the police. In most cases, it would be grand larceny.
Can the ESN be changed? What about locked vs unlocked phones?

This one was locked, that's why I could not get into the phone records to call the owner.

Seriously, I feel like such a dumb ass. I thought I was doing the right thing by taking it to Verizon. If I would have just left the damn phone on the ground the owner would have found it. :mad2:

No good deed goes unpunished. :mad:

This one was locked, that's why I could not get into the phone records to call the owner.

Seriously, I feel like such a dumb ass. I thought I was doing the right thing by taking it to Verizon. If I would have just left the damn phone on the ground the owner would have found it. :mad2:

A mentor suggests learning from our mistakes rather than beating ourselves up over them. Thanks for sharing with the forum so that we will maybe have a better idea how to deal with such a situation.

My son ran into a similar situation trying to be honest when he found several hundred cash on the floor in a store. After turning it in and having no one claim it for that 30 days the folks at the store said that they "donated it to charity". We were a hundred miles away from the store and were told if we wanted the cash to come more or less right then or else it would be gone.

I am thinking if I find a bunch of cash on the floor at a store that turning it into the manager probably isn't the best idea.

Last week someone turned in a lost cell phone. I left a message at the number listed as "home" but nothing came of it. The student showed up after I announced the find in lecture.

One of the first days of my lecture this year I started with reuniting a lost ID card with it's owner. I then reunited a lost wallet with it's owner. Fun fun.

Another cell phone that got turned in started ringing in the middle of my lecture. I asked my students if I should answer it, and they said yes. I did, and had my whole class say hello, all 500 of them. It was the owner's mother calling, by the way. My students were talking about that one at their final.

We have a giant pile of lost and left stuff at the front of the lecture hall. Scarves, hats, gloves, you name it. I always try and reconnect lost stuff with its people. That said, the pink iPod to which I listened this morning was left in a lecture hall a couple years ago, and I was unable to reconnect it to its people (and I really did try hard, honest).

At the end of the day lost is lost. Up to folks to keep hold of their property. If it comes back, well that's a bonus.

I found an iPhone (Verizon version) in the road and turned it in to a Verizon store and I asked them to find the owner and they said they would.

Just out of curiosity, did you attempt to contact the owners before turning it in to the store?

I have lost my Iphone 3 times. Each time there was a message on my home phone from someone that found my Iphone telling me where it was. Of course, all three times was at the same gym where most of us know each other.

Just out of curiosity, did you attempt to contact the owners before turning it in to the store?

I have lost my Iphone 3 times. Each time there was a message on my home phone from someone that found my Iphone telling me where it was. Of course, all three times was at the same gym where most of us know each other.

It was locked. It would turn on and there was a 4 digit code thingy keeping me from the contacts list. I jumped the gun by taking it to them too soon. I should have canvassed the neighborhood. :mad2:

UPDATE:

Verizon has offered the gal a new iPhone and a year's service free and an apology to me. :D

I hate bullies. :mad:

Last edited:
It was locked. It would turn on and there was a 4 digit code thingy keeping me from the contacts list.

UPDATE:

Verizon has offered the gal a new iPhone and a year's service free and an apology to me. :D

I figured they'd do that just to avoid the fact that they broke the law

That's great you helped them out Larry. Too many people don't stand up for themselves and most were never taught how. That's my generation, sadly...

It was locked. It would turn on and there was a 4 digit code thingy keeping me from the contacts list. I jumped the gun by taking it to them too soon. I should have canvassed the neighborhood. :mad2:

UPDATE:

You trusted them to do the right thing. That should have been possible; that it wasn't is hardly your fault.

I'm glad you got this corrected.

UPDATE:

Great result! Good work Larry!

UPDATE:

Good on you, dude.

UPDATE:

Good ending! Kudos to you.
Also, Kudos to the person that arranged the free Iphone and offered the apology; unless they are the creep that stole the phone in the first place.

UPDATE:

thanks for being willing to get involved. I am glad that the gal gets helped.

That's great, was that from the store that "recycled" the phone or corporate? I'm curious to see if the store manager is covering his behind and trying to make it go away without getting his own butt in a sling. :yes:

UPDATE:

Thanks for hanging in there for the gal. It shows we all aren't heartless SOBs.
Referring to locked vs unlocked, I was asking about the ESN and being locked to a particular carrier. As far as I know, all verizon phones are locked to verizon though Metro has indicated they can fix that for you.
I have a scrolling banner on my phones with contact info. Most phones will display the owner information IF you take the time to fill it out. On the other hand, I don't expect to get the phone back if I lose it.

That's great, was that from the store that "recycled" the phone or corporate? I'm curious to see if the store manager is covering his behind and trying to make it go away without getting his own butt in a sling. :yes:

Without a doubt! :yes:

That's great you helped them out Larry. Too many people don't stand up for themselves and most were never taught how. That's my generation, sadly...

I hear ya. Too many people just take the status quo and accept what happens to them. I grew up believing "If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem."

Put a piece of masking tape on the phone with the date it came it. Shred it in 30-60 days. Is that so hard?

Let's look out for each other as best we can, when we can. Try and make this country a better place to live. Americans should be made of sterner stuff.

Last edited:
My phone has an emergency contacts button that you can access and dial even if the phone's locked.

Lost my phone at Oshkosh during the show back in 2008. Someone turned it into the local AT&T store.

Not only did AT&T look me up and return it to me, they paid the postage.

Never did find out who turned it in, but I appreciated it. Whole life was on the phone even back then.

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lost my phone at Oshkosh during the show back in 2008. Someone turned it into the local AT&T store.

Not only did AT&T look me up and return it to me, they paid the postage.

Never did find out who turned it in, but I appreciated it. Whole life was on the phone even back then.

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice!

UPDATE:

I am late to the party...:redface:...

Good on you Larry for doing what you did...

The poor gal lost all your data, pics and other stuff... Personally I would escalate this to the regional level management and screw the local manager.... I will even send ya 25 bucks to pay for a Fed Ex package so you can get the scumbag manager fired.......

Pm me and give me your contact info...

Not only do I HATE bullies... They need to pay for their sins...

Back