LEGACY VOR's

I have said, repeatedly, given about $10k in equipment, anybody with the remotest knowledge of microwave could sterilize a GPS area the size of Utah from 10k' in a 172. And given a brain cell the size of an FAA inspector's could get away with it nearly forever.

We have a fairly secure system in VOR, and we decommissioned the ultimate unjammable system in LORAN a few years ago.

Sometimes I think the C- students are running the show.

Jim

Considering that VORs regularly fail without any help from $10K worth of equipment... and the fact that it would be trivial to disable or jam one... GPS isn't any worse.

I remember those high power LORAN stations. I was performing a TEMPEST survey (worked for the Navy) for the USCG on Kodiak back about 1977 and every time I tuned past the LORAN C station I had to be fast either on the IF gain or input attenuator or else the headphones lifted off my head. That was a STRONG signal.

BTW, Bob, we did a couple cutters and the brand new receiver site for the commsta there. And the Coasties were the happiest campers I've seen. Anybody E-5 or above was ex-Navy, doing the same job with 1/2 of the BS. They thought the Coast Guard was the greatest thing since sliced bread. You were part of a great organization.

Thanks. I did not have any ex-Navy people on either Loran station.

The difference between the services really came home to me when my crew was billeted with the 3rd Marines at Camp Schwab on Okinawa during construction of our station. My guys were, for the most part, in their 20s and early 30s and E-4 and above...the Marines we came in contact with were in their late 30s, had been in for a couple of tours already, and were E-4 and lower. Made me really respect their dedication to the Corps and to their mission. "Tip of the spear" for sure.
Bob

:confused:Why can GPS not cover the Class II requirements for normal procedure? :dunno:
1. Not all airliners have GPS inputs to the FMS.

2. IRU with GPS only updating is Class II nav, not Class I, so all the Class II nav restrictions would apply. Class II nav is not compatible with domestic airspace separation standards. Going Class II domestically would significantly reduce system capacity.

Back