Learning VOR?

INS is an ancient system by today's standards, you're not going to find many in use.

Maybe in airplanes, though we have three. Two in the flight deck and one really big one in the back with a star-tracker. The telescope is essentially a huge super-accurate INS.

INS units, with and without star trackers, are common on spacecraft.

Maybe in airplanes, though we have three. Two in the flight deck and one really big one in the back with a star-tracker. The telescope is essentially a huge super-accurate INS.

Being a government aircraft I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

I don't believe there has been any transport aircraft built in the last 25 years with a INS.

INS units, with and without star trackers, are common on spacecraft.

Well, duh, considering the difference. :rolleyes:

More likely his company lost the contract. Happens all the time.

Please don't spread urban legends as truth. A FOAF is about as believable as unicorns and leprechauns.

His company is this place called the FAA. He works directly for them out of Richmond VA. So, not sure what you're getting at here, but sure. Go for it.

Wouldn't it fall mainly on the PLAIM?

He probably thinks RAIM is something in Spain that falls mainly on the plain.

You're so RAIM...you probably think this thread is about you
banjo.gif

His company is this place called the FAA. He works directly for them out of Richmond VA. So, not sure what you're getting at here, but sure. Go for it.

So, you claim the FAA maintains VORs with civil servants?

Might want to research how they operate before making that claim.

Sadly, the old tech and the old timers are hard to go away. GPS is not going to flake on you, that's the little story the old timers tell to make themselves feel good about resisting new tech.

GPS is fantastic, efficient, and fast. Navcom is crude, wasteful, and absurd considering what GPS can do. If you don't have GPS in whatever rental plane you get, setup an iPad with it and bring it with you on each flight.

To pass the written you have to learn enough to answer five or so questions on it.

If you never go for an instrument rating, you will never deal with it again, unless you want to use VORs as a waypoint on your GPS flight plans. And even then they are nothing more than curiosities on the ground. Also, the chatter in the air for IFR refers to them by name.
Dude...Will you stop saying that GPS will "never" fail on these forums? While it is a good, reliable system, it does occasionally fail and you have already been proven wrong on this subject. As for being old, I'm in my 20's....

Dude...Will you stop saying that GPS will "never" fail on these forums? While it is a good, reliable system, it does occasionally fail and you have already been proven wrong on this subject. As for being old, I'm in my 20's....

23 and I don't trust GPS fully either. For what it's worth :yes:

Gladly. So I called him today. At work. Specifically, the Richmond office in Virginia. He confirmed that yes, they work on VOR's. Like Flatrock for example. He had several friends in the room laughing at the idea that they didn't take care of VOR's.

They did mention a piece of the radio that Lockheed takes care of, but the over all VOR is most certainly taken care of by "civil servants" who work for the FAA only.

Last edited:

Gladly. So I called him today. At work. Specifically, the Richmond office in Virginia. He confirmed that yes, they work on VOR's. Like Flatrock for example. He had several friends in the room laughing at the idea that they didn't take care of VOR's.

They did mention a piece of the radio that Lockheed takes care of, but the over all VOR is most certainly taken care of by "civil servants" who work for the FAA only.

Got a friend who maintains VOR stations amongst other things. He's a direct FAA employee. His specialty is radar.

GPS however, that's a different friend and he's a contractor.

LockMart snagged the GPS ground station contract from Raytheon last year. It was big news in some circles.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2013/january/gpsgcs.html

This stuff isn't that hard to look up. Really.

Back