Learning VOR?

SethV

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SethV
Ok, I am a newbie, just getting started. Question, does anyone actually use VOR anymore? GPS is so simple, I guess VOR is a backup in case GPS dies for some reason, but in normal operation, does anyone use it for anything?

Yes. I use VOR DME everytime I fly from my base, FTG near DEN. Gotta have several datapoints on where I am relative to the Bravo which is defined by VOR DME.

VOR approaches are still out there and in use.

I understand that in the NE US, most IMC routing is via airways so lots of VOR use. I don't fly in the NE so have no direct knowledge but have no reason to doubt the practice.

If I fly somewhere I haven't been before I'll use VOR DME to back up my GPS & pilotage nav. Hey, the aircraft has it so may as well use it.

Yes. Learn it. You may use GPS much of the time, but VORs aren't going anywhere anytime soon and you'll appreciate them when GPS flakes on you.

One other note: VORs are VERY simple devices, so learning how to use them is not a very onerous task. If you can run a microwave, odds are pretty good you can master the VOR.

Yes. Learn it. You may use GPS much of the time, but VORs aren't going anywhere anytime soon and you'll appreciate them when GPS flakes on you.
Many of the VORs in our area are permanently OTS on Radial xxx-radial-xxx

Devil's advocate :devil:

I used one just last night when Mrs. 6PC said "How does that one work?"

I used one a couple weeks back when checking out a new plane and the instructor said "Can you show me how to dial in and track a VOR?"

I used one last year on my private checkride.

I think you need to know how to use them as a backup but in this day and age of ipads, gps, cellphones, and whatever else is in the plane, they are soon to be more of a novelty or backup.

I only have 200 hours logged but in those hours, I have never used one except to demonstrate it.

Yes. I use VOR DME everytime I fly from my base, FTG near DEN. Gotta have several datapoints on where I am relative to the Bravo which is defined by VOR DME.

I just use the blue lines on the 430W to stay clear of the Miami Bravo. That and pilotage, i.e. knowing what ground features will keep me clear.

I used one a couple weeks back when checking out a new plane and the instructor said "Can you show me how to dial in and track a VOR?"

I think you need to know how to use them as a backup but in this day and age of ipads, gps, cellphones, and whatever else is in the plane, they are soon to be more of a novelty or backup.

I only have 200 hours logged but in those hours, I have never used one except to demonstrate it.

If you ever want to get your IR, you will need to know how to use VORs and use them well. They are used for airways, holds, and many approaches. It gives me a warm and fuzzy by tracking a VOR, especially if I'm in IMC. ATC won't always give you a clearance direct to Podunk Municipal.

If you ever want to get your IR, you will need to know how to use VORs and use them well. They are used for airways, holds, and many approaches. It gives me a warm and fuzzy by tracking a VOR, especially if I'm in IMC. ATC won't always give you a clearance direct to Podunk Municipal.

I know how. very well. I have just never actually used them when flying.
It hasn't come up. I stay current on all the knowledge stuff because I don't want to get lax.

For better or worse a lot of that stuff is not primary anymore.
Edit: at my current level of flying.

I know how. very well. I have just never actually used them when flying.
It hasn't come up. I stay current on all the knowledge stuff because I don't want to get lax.

For better or worse a lot of that stuff is not primary anymore.
Edit: at my current level of flying.

You should regularly practice different forms of navigation on your xc flights. Next time, use VORs, even if it adds a bit to the trip. Keep track of your location on the airway with cross radials for fun.

Yes. If it is in your plane, you need to know how to use. I'm sure CTLSi will be here shortly saying we are all old (I'm 21 FWIW) and need to only use GPS be ause it is the future.

I actually used one. About 2 years ago on a 3ish hour XC. As a backup in case my GPS went out. It didn't.

Hide my post from CTLSi:D

Ok, I am a newbie, just getting started. Question, does anyone actually use VOR anymore? GPS is so simple, I guess VOR is a backup in case GPS dies for some reason, but in normal operation, does anyone use it for anything?

Sadly, the old tech and the old timers are hard to go away. GPS is not going to flake on you, that's the little story the old timers tell to make themselves feel good about resisting new tech.

GPS is fantastic, efficient, and fast. Navcom is crude, wasteful, and absurd considering what GPS can do. If you don't have GPS in whatever rental plane you get, setup an iPad with it and bring it with you on each flight.

To pass the written you have to learn enough to answer five or so questions on it.

If you never go for an instrument rating, you will never deal with it again, unless you want to use VORs as a waypoint on your GPS flight plans. And even then they are nothing more than curiosities on the ground. Also, the chatter in the air for IFR refers to them by name.

Sadly, the old tech and the old timers are hard to go away. GPS is not going to flake on you, that's the little story the old timers tell to make themselves feel good about resisting new tech.

Incase there are one or two left on this board who haven't figured it out, pretty much everything CTLSi says utterly absurd, ignorant, flat wrong, stupid, and arrogant. He's either a troll or someone who has a mental condition rendering him incapable of becoming aware of his laughable level of arrogant ignorance and inability to learn. He's a special snowflake alright.

I suggest everyone put him on ignore so you don't even have to see his moronic drivel quoted by anyone else. We'll know pretty quickly if he shows back up under a different name.

GPS is fantastic, efficient, and fast. Navcom is crude, wasteful, and absurd considering what GPS can do. If you don't have GPS in whatever rental plane you get, setup an iPad with it and bring it with you on each flight.

To pass the written you have to learn enough to answer five or so questions on it.

If you never go for an instrument rating, you will never deal with it again, unless you want to use VORs as a waypoint on your GPS flight plans. And even then they are nothing more than curiosities on the ground. Also, the chatter in the air for IFR refers to them by name.
Is this a joke?

Incase there are one or two left on this board who haven't figured it out, pretty much everything CTLSi says utterly absurd, ignorant, flat wrong, stupid, and arrogant. He's either a troll or someone who has a mental condition rendering him incapable of becoming aware of his laughable level of arrogant ignorance and inability to learn. He's a special snowflake alright.

I suggest everyone put him on ignore so you don't even have to see his moronic drivel quoted by anyone else. We'll know pretty quickly if he shows back up under a different name.

More importantly, he's only slightly ahead of the other newbie pilot in his experience level, and obviously had some questionable training, so relying on his posts is at your own risk.

I do not have a /G capable airplane at the moment, so IFR using the GPS is not an option. I suppose at some point it will be beneficial to upgrade the plane, but given the frequency I'm filing IFR it's just not worth it at the time. I still use my VOR's for backup VFR nav. They aren't going away soon.

Learn it. It's easy. I track VOR's all the time when I'm flying XC, even when I'm flying GPS direct. It's just something to do to pass the time and it keeps the knife sharp.

As mentioned - your GPS may flake on you at some point and VOR is a solid backup. I know most us have in-dash GPS plus an iPad with ForeFlight or something similar and the odds of both of those going belly-up at the same time are pretty slim. But, as mentioned - VOR's aren't going anywhere anytime soon so you might as well learn it. :)

Also,

1) You'll have to learn it to pass your PPL written and you'll have to track one to pass your PPL checkride.
2) If you decide to get an instrument rating you'll be doing a lot more with VOR's so learning the basics and keeping that knife sharp will come in handy.

In a little under 2000 hours I've had two notable GPS failures. One was a 430W that suddenly couldn't figure out where it was. It showed position lost, and I flexed to pilotage as I had charts and knew the area well.

The other issue I had was two independent handheld GPS units BOTH showing the same position--except both were off by about three miles. I don't know if a government test spoofed them both, if there was some odd interference, or what else... but for about 45 seconds they both showed me several miles east of where I was. I was in VMC with a student in a practice area I visit at least weekly so it was a non issue for navigation; had that happened in IMC, a VOR or ATC radar would have been my only recourse.

In short, I have no issue with GPS as a primary means of navigation, but agree with (most) of those above being able to use a VOR is an important skill to have.

More importantly, he's only slightly ahead of the other newbie pilot in his experience level, and obviously had some questionable training, so relying on his posts is at your own risk.

He probably thinks RAIM is something in Spain that falls mainly on the plain.

He probably thinks RAIM is something in Spain that falls mainly on the plain.

Do you know what RAIM is for? Let me inform you, it's the same as you verifying a VOR with Morse code. Just because you double check the VORs Morse code ID does it mean the VOR is gonna fail?

You are confusing integrity checking with integrity.

The joke remains with those who A. do not understand how GPS works and B. assume their faulty knowledge set substitutes for an intelligent comment on the subject.

as has already been stated, some people use it, some don't, but you definitely need to learn it. it's a good backup tool to have in case you ever needed it. seriously.

Do you know what RAIM is for? Let me inform you, it's the same as you verifying a VOR with Morse code. Just because you double check the VORs Morse code ID does it mean the VOR is gonna fail?

The joke remains with those who A. do not understand how GPS works and B. assume their faulty knowledge set substitutes for an intelligent comment on the subject.

Have you heard of RAIM outages? Do you know what it means when you are in the soup and you get a RAIM failure prior to the FAF?

What accuracy YOU need to draw a big old magenta line to follow to your $100 hamburger is sometimes very inadequate when you are in IMC approaching the MDA.

If your contention is that RAIM is a formality for checking something that never fails, then you sir are the one who doesn't understand GPS.

I think CTLSi just started his flight training around the time of his July '14 join date.

You're just a VORist. :goofy:

OP, just learn as much as you can about everything that still has some practical use, VORs included.

Have you heard of RAIM outages? Do you know what it means when you are in the soup and you get a RAIM failure prior to the FAF?

What accuracy YOU need to draw a big old magenta line to follow to your $100 hamburger is sometimes very inadequate when you are in IMC approaching the MDA.

If your contention is that RAIM is a formality for checking something that never fails, then you sir are the one who doesn't understand GPS.

Lost RAIM on a practice LPV approach. Damn CFII did not know what it meant or what to do (go around as needed and drop down to LNAV if available). My first and only flight with that guy.

There is a good iPad app to practice VOR intercepts, tracking DME arcs, and other tasks involving VORs. Ron Levy showed it too me during my IFR training with him and I still use it this day to help visualize and practice these tasks...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nav-trainer-instrument-navigation/id427480051?mt=8

Very worth the $4.99 cost.

Starting to use it with no background as the OP has might be a small challenge. But if he shows it to his CFI and they use that to learn and practice the concepts/techniques, the app will serve him well.

My friend works on VOR's for the FAA out of Richmond, VA. He said they're not fixing them any longer. Once they're gone, they're gone. Just food for thought.

My friend works on VOR's for the FAA out of Richmond, VA. He said they're not fixing them any longer. Once they're gone, they're gone. Just food for thought.

More likely his company lost the contract. Happens all the time.

Please don't spread urban legends as truth. A FOAF is about as believable as unicorns and leprechauns.

I am guessing if the Kennedy VOR went down tonight, someone would be working on it tomorrow.. Anyone take that bet?

I really am starting to doubt this guy even holds a PPL.

I fly instruments for work, most everything we do with GPS overlay, however you must be able to fly a VOR, this is a skill you WILL use, unlike NDBs which are becoming a endangered species.

Also GPS will fail, there is a reason you have RAIM and outage predictions.

Here a good site to play with for VORs.

http://www.luizmonteiro.com/learning_vor_sim.aspx

BTW, VORs are not that tuff and very similar to the CDI you'll have on a RNAV anyways.

Once again, your ignorance is showing. This is like arguing with a four year old.

I couldn't tell you the first thing about VOR's and I've flown in all 50 states. GPS is the best way to go in the 21st century, and will only get better. We got rid of buggy whips for horseless carriages 100 years ago, yet we still teach technology that is 100 years old to pilots? :mad2:

Carry 2-3 GPS units (panel mounted included) and you are good to go against 99% of problems. Certainly a higher percentage of success than a VOR.

Remembering how to use a VOR is like remembering how to use a slide rule. You might impress someone, but most could care less.

JMHO :D

Last edited:
I couldn't tell you the first thing about VOR's and I've flown in all 50 states. GPS is the best way to go in the 21st century, and will only get better. We got rid of the buggy whips for horseless carriages 100 years ago, yet we still teach technology that is 100 years old to pilots? :mad2:

Carry 2-3 GPS units (panel mounted included) and you are good to go against 99% of problems. Certainly a higher percentage of success than a VOR.

JMHO! :D

You realize no one here is arguing against using GPS. It's the greatest thing sliced bread. But the failures we're talking about have nothing to do with unit failures, but external factors. So all three of your GPSes would be equally worthless.

Not a huge issue VFR....just don't plan on doing any IFR without understanding/using VORs.

You realize no one here is arguing against using GPS. It's the greatest thing sliced bread. But the failures we're talking about have nothing to do with unit failures, but external factors. So all three of your GPSes would be equally worthless.

Not a huge issue VFR....just don't plan on doing any IFR without understanding/using VORs.

I've flown nearly 3,000 hours and never had an issue with GPS. How common are GPS failures really?

Granted I only fly VFR (most of the time ;)).

Do VORs give you traffic and weather? :lol: Don't answer that. :lol:

Seriously? Morris code? They don't even teach that any more. :no:

Last edited:
I've flown nearly 3,000 hours and never had an issue with GPS. How common are GPS failures really?

Granted I only fly VFR (most of the time ;)), I will grant you that.

Common enough that we don't have a single IFR platform in the fleet that can't shoot a VOR and ILS.

For VFR, sure, but for IFR ops you need to know it and you will use it.

AGAIN, a VOR ain't that different than a RNAV CDI, if you can't figure out a VOR you got bigger problems.

Yes I still use it. Yes I use it in normal operation. While IFR I use it mainly for instrument approaches.

Just had a total GPS failure the other day. Had to fly off the INS system.

Last edited:

This is not true. GPS can flake on you, probably not the satellites, but I have seen more than one report of G1000 GPS failing, both of them. Apparently certain failure modes related to the antennas can result in jamming the GPS signal to nearby devices including the other GPS and nearby iPad GPS units.

This is not common, and admittedly I fly GPS nearly all the time. But if you have it at least know how it works and how to use it.

Back