Learning about seaplanes at AirVenture 2019

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
Before this past summer, I had never been in a seaplane. At AirVenture, I had a chance to tour the seaplane base with Steve McCaughey who leads SPA (Seaplane Pilots Association), as well as fly with a friend from BeechTalk in his beautiful Cessna 185 on amphibian floats. It was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot. And of course I couldn't help myself, and I had to turn it into a video.

The first video is a tour of the seaplane base in Oshkosh. The next one will show my flight in the 185.

- Martin

I learned about seaplanes there too... I learned when I'm sent to take photos of a Maule on floats and the couple flying go to get onboard, they step on the float and the wing comes down to smite the photographer! Luckily I have a hard head.

A lot of people love the peaceful quiet at the Seaplane Base. I can take it for a short time before I have to get back to the craziness of KOSH!

All you need to know is if the green people get their way you won't be able to land a seaplane anyplace other than a runway. Washington state Eurasian Milfoil weed only a matter of time till no seaplanes will be allowed in the lakes.

Back