Leadville Co Density Altitude 11,500

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
In my mad rush to fly everywhere every day, I flew to Colorado this weekend to hike and drink craft brew.
On the way home from Rocky Mountain, I stopped at Leadville to get a certificate for landing there. I have wanted one for awhile.

I met with some members of the Colorado mountain flying club and got some coaching, and we put together a plane that I could execute provided certain weather conditions which turned out perfectly.
Crossed over a couple mountain passes at 12,500 and aside from a little fear that a mountain was going to sneak up and smack me, there were no issues.
It was smooth and we were on Oxygen. Pulse Oximeter was at 84 and below 90, I throw on the mask. 2 breaths and I was up to 97

Flew up the valley where it was flat as glass and the 2 mountain ranges were further apart than I imagined having only seen them on the map.

Screenshot 2024-05-21 190618.png

Interesting note, there are AWOS in the valleys that are not located at airports so you can get weather / wind at different points in the area.

Tuned to CTAF and confirmed people were landing 16. From 15 miles out, I could see the field and thought doing this turn was going to be tough but looking down 2 paralelle ridges, they eem to converge far away.
Once near the airport, there was plenty of room. to fly a normal pattern and not get remotely close to the granite landscape.

Landing was very normal. I didn't feel like my ground speed was all that fast and really it just felt like any other landing. Literally no discernable difference.
Landed, got the certificate and decided to head back to Texas. Now this was when I learned a lot. When you go to this airport, you know you are going to use more runway and you know you are going to climb slow but what I didn't think about is what I am now referring to as the "Slow motion takeoff".

Did a runup and then did the full power and lean for max power.

I let off the breaks and the plane with in a few seconds was well faster than I have ever been on a runway. The urge to rotate was strong. but the airspeed indicator had not yet left the school zone.
Now, here's some real knowledge for you...

My plane gets a little squirrely in that moment where it is close to ready to fly but not really ready. It starts to dance a little for about 3 seconds, then I pull and we be flyin.
Here, you accelerate slower which means that 3 seconds of dancing is now 10 and rotating is now a slower movement.
So the plane is moving hella fast but everything you normally do to make a plane leave the ground is done in slow motion.

The book said I would eat 1800 feet of runway. I looked at the map, and it was closer to double that.
Once the plane lifted off, it sat back down and then lifted off again. I raised the gear to get rid of the drag and climbed out at 100-200 fpm all the way up to 13.5

Screenshot 2024-05-21 190745.png

At full throttle, I was able to get 19 inches of Manifold Pressure and the plane certainly felt less aggressive. I have had it up to 15.5 before and don't recall it feeling like this but perhaps the mountains were making me nervous.

It was a cool experience and given different weather conditions, I wouldn't have done it, The wind was coming straight down the valley rather than over the mountains which made for a fairly smooth ride.
I would not have done this in the Grumman as the airport was pretty much at the service ceiling on this day.

441490832_761448422839566_7127416219421219923_n.jpg

441492312_760672596250482_8972912761681383125_n.jpg

442441369_760672599583815_6725531624501107794_n.jpg

444925278_760669899584085_8134364255721440814_n.jpg

Here is some video of our departure.

Last edited:
I love Leadville, been there several times. Glad you made it up! Should have gone into town for lunch though.

Very cool thread OP, a thanks for sharing.

Been to the Leadville area quite a few times, climbing 14ers, flying around them sounds awesome

Some of those AWOS are mountain tops rather than valleys. And yeah, I flew a Comanche into Leadville as part of a day trip that included it and Glenwood Springs. Great fun.

If you think that’s lethargic, you should try it in a 172 :D.

One of the things that helps with the dancing is treating it as a soft field takeoff. Get the airplane off the pavement and into ground effect. It will accelerate quicker to climb speed once ground friction is overcome.

Last edited:
Really cool! I loved my trip into Leadville so much I got the shirt! I got in and out of there in a 182 and 19" is what I remember.

Videos and reports like this reinforce my love for the flat lands. I get nervous crossing the Appalachians lol. Having said that, i flew around in the Canadian Rockies in a 85 hp Ercoupe but that was three years ago when i was young and dumb lol.

Great video though and thanks for sharing.

Videos and reports like this reinforce my love for the flat lands. I get nervous crossing the Appalachians lol. Having said that, i flew around in the Canadian Rockies in a 85 hp Ercoupe but that was three years ago when i was young and dumb lol.

Great video though and thanks for sharing.
Flying in those mountains are among the top three things I miss the most since moving from Colorado.

11400 is the highest I experienced at Bryce Canyon. It was HOT that day. Roll distance seemed about normal but the plane did not want to climb.

11400 is the highest I experienced at Bryce Canyon. It was HOT that day. Roll distance seemed about normal but the plane did not want to climb.
Most of the landing differential is due to the higher TAS and associated GS at touchdown. The rollout is just based on how much is needed to slow from that, so it makes sense it’s less noticeable, more like braking a car traveling 10-20 mph faster.

Once the plane lifted off, it sat back down and then lifted off again.
Here at Gallup in the summer I have seen a lot of non turbo planes do the same thing. I have seen a couple touch down 2 times before finally staying in the air. Real hair raiser...:hairraise:

DA usually only 10,000 ft in summer.

Very cool, definitely one I want to do. I've always used Leadville as an example when doing a density altitude lesson.

Great thread, definitely on my bucket list. Since I now own property about an hour north of there, I have no excuses. Except the scary altitude, of course.

Great thread, definitely on my bucket list. Since I now own property about an hour north of there, I have no excuses. Except the scary altitude, of course.
Colorado Pilots Assoc mtn courses this year….June 22, Aug 24 and Sep 21. Sat ground school Sunday flights. Routes include Denver area to Granby, Streamboat, Vail, Glenwood Springs, Leadville (Aspen is option) then back to Denver.

Counts as a BFR, too.

Colorado Pilots Assoc mtn courses this year….June 22, Aug 24 and Sep 21. Sat ground school Sunday flights. Routes include Denver area to Granby, Streamboat, Vail, Glenwood Springs, Leadville (Aspen is option) then back to Denver.

Counts as a BFR, too.
Awesome, thanks! Doubt I'll make it this year, as condo is getting renovated, but I hope to spend at least part of next summer there, so I'll try to catch of the CPA courses.

Here at Gallup in the summer I have seen a lot of non turbo planes do the same thing. I have seen a couple touch down 2 times before finally staying in the air. Real hair raiser...:hairraise:

DA usually only 10,000 ft in summer.
That’s exactly the reason for using soft field technique to accelerate in ground effect.

And a very common takeoff error is pulling the nose up to a “normal” sea level climb attitude. I saw that often when giving a lesson to a visiting pilot. With one I had to physically push the yoke when they insisted their attitude was perfect and refused to lower it.

Counts as a BFR, too.
Did this course twice a few years ago - cannot recommend enough. I'll be back again but probably not this year.

With a density altitude of 11,500 I don’t believe I could get my 150 off the ground.

With a density altitude of 11,500 I don’t believe I could get my 150 off the ground.
Probably right about that, you'd have to go in the winter, even then, marginal, standard temperature for Leadville, about -5C (25F)

Just curious, what does balanced field length work out to be at that elevation?
I’d have to look it up. That was a couple of years ago. I do remember that we departed pretty light and went to Lima to fuel up for the return home.

I used to fly a 150 in NM and CO. With two people on board, you need help from thermals in order to climb. It's a very enlightening experience.

Back