Leaded gas and the EPA...here it comes

Throwing more legislators at the House would be like throwing more tax dollars at some problem. It would simply increase corruption, increase inefficiency, increase confusion, and actually make the problem worse.

As regards states' rights: that ship has sailed. There are no significant states' rights remaining. Maybe one, and there is a current federal effort to take that away. The USA is now a republic in name only.

Last edited:
There are no significant states' rights remaining.

There's much truth in that, but there's still a "ctl-alt-del" provision: the states can call for a constitutional convention and re-do the whole thing. Not that you'll ever get enough states to do it, and it would be the cluster of all times if you did, but the possibility is still there.

If my plane is in the table here, do I even need an STC to use Swift fuel?
No. But don't think of it as "Swift" fuel since the bulletin references it as UL94 fuel.

I've wondered if already having a mogas STC would be good enough, since UL94 is better than mogas, but I doubt it...
Check the latest revision of your mogas STC. Its my understanding some existing STCs added UL94 to their list of fuels.

Check the latest revision of your mogas STC. Its my understanding some existing STCs added UL94 to their list of fuels.
You da man:
https://www.autofuelstc.com/ said:
Autofuel STC’s automatically approve the airplane & engine for UL91-UL94 in addition to autofuel.

You da man:

Don't tell him that ... they wil have to put a larger door on the hangar to get him in it. ;)

But ... I did not know this. Good news for STC holders.

It gets better. I also got an email back from Swift (on a Sunday!) stating that:
a) The C140A was certificated on 80 octane avgas,
b) 80 octane avgas is approved for the O-200,
c) UL94 exceeds the requirements of 80 octane avgas,
, therefore I can run UL94 in my C140A/O200 immediately without an STC.

I'll be at the front of the line for a G100UL STC. Reality is that our engine, a Pponk O-470-50 (520 cyls on a 470 bottom end) is low compression and would do just fine on 94UL, if someone wanted to go through the testing to prove it.

Apologies for reviving a four-month-old thread.

"Study finds no elevated lead levels in Reid-Hillview Airport’s soil
The results are bound to intensify debates around the closure of the San Jose airport"

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/06...d-lead-levels-in-reid-hillview-airports-soil/

I'm not sure if this helps the airport by undercutting the lead narrative for closing it, or if it helps the closure plan by eliminating the need for environmental cleanup before the land can be used for housing.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but well here goes.
I've been mixing premium automotive gas into my avgas for over 20 years.

Wow ... I've been mixing 100LL with my Mogas for the last 10! :D

Seriously ... mine (experimental) will run on straight Mogas if I can find 93 octane but most of what I find is 90 so I use a little 100LL to bring the octane level up to engine requirements. With a touch of 100LL it starts & idles better and just seems to feel smoother overall. But I'm hoping they get some of the lead free aviation fuel available near me pretty soon. No STC needed for my experimental ... and I'm lovin' it!

The results are bound to intensify debates around the closure of the San Jose airport"

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/06...d-lead-levels-in-reid-hillview-airports-soil/

I'm not sure if this helps the airport by undercutting the lead narrative for closing it, or if it helps the closure plan by eliminating the need for environmental cleanup before the land can be used for housing.
If not property taxes, they will find some other way to claim they are reducing taxes to the people there.
It will be amazing how the old lead data was wrong, and they could sell the land off now. :rolleyes:

The rationale Santa Clara will use to dispute/ignore the current study findings is contained in the Mercury News piece.
Katharine Hammond, an exposure expert and professor at UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health, said she isn’t surprised with the soil sample results and that they don’t contradict the August airborne study’s findings.
Read the piece for her explanation. This changes nothing.
"My expert trumps your expert."

That finding makes the developers life easy. Funny how they used the lead issue to try to close an airport, then...volia!... if they force its closure, there is no lead to remediate. That's a developer win/win all around.

Organization devoted to saving Reid-Hillview Airport:

https://www.savereidhillview.org/

They also have pages on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube, accessible though buttons at the top-right corner of the page.

Be careful.....if you decide to go high....you may experience vapor lock. :confused:
Wow ... I've been mixing 100LL with my Mogas for the last 10! :D

Seriously ... mine (experimental) will run on straight Mogas if I can find 93 octane but most of what I find is 90 so I use a little 100LL to bring the octane level up to engine requirements. With a touch of 100LL it starts & idles better and just seems to feel smoother overall. But I'm hoping they get some of the lead free aviation fuel available near me pretty soon. No STC needed for my experimental ... and I'm lovin' it!

I probably shouldn't admit this, but well here goes.
I've been mixing premium automotive gas into my avgas for over 20 years.

No sweat! I've mixing 100LL with my coffee for years. Really gets you moving!

Be careful.....if you decide to go high....you may experience vapor lock. :confused:

Good warning that I've kept in mind from the beginning. In the summer months I tend to run more 100LL in the tank mix. I also use the higher rate to prevent detonation (although my engine runs cool) and as a hedge against carb ice.

Back