Lawsuit Madness - OMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANSWER THE QUESTION! Why should I type to you if it will cause an accident. I could be held liable for your negligence!

What negligence? Are you aware that cell phones work outside of vehicles? As I've repeatedly said, I'm safely at home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wait, you want me to fly to Oregon so you can pay me nothing? I'll have to pass on that offer.

U say no fuel. I say, therefore, I will pay you $10k for each gallon you drink from this allegedly empty starboard tank. You are so sure that there is no fuel, then what danger is there to you? Thats the point. Demonstrate to these other brave internet speakers that you are sure that the tanks have no fuel. "I'll drink any fuel in that tank because I know they are bone dry" should be your thrilling statement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielabernath View Post
We shall travel to Redmond Oregon and I will pay you $10,000 for each gallon of fuel that we drain from the tank.
My guess

Exactly, guesses and speculation. Although there are 10 to 12 proven cases of fuel starvation caused by one tank being empty and up to 8 gallons in the other tank.

Are you or anyone else going to testify what the post accident inspection of the fuel tanks revealed? Or , is the picture of the fuel stains on the wing your only proof of ample fuel?

I checked using the fuel tube guage and the fuel tin stick a few minutes earlier. The picture shows that fuel splashed all over the starboard wing through the little vent hole. Cap was on tight so that the port faced forward.

I'm going to bed as with all this internet excitment...
I will make a bet. We shall travel to Redmond Oregon and I will pay you $10,000 for each gallon of fuel that we drain from the tank. 503 367 4204 call me and I'll pick you up from the airport.

img4.jpg

Assuming you would prefer not to pay 10k per gallon drained, does that mean there will be no fuel to drain? All the fuel was lost through the vent? Possible that is unusable fuel that came through the vent?

ANSWER THE QUESTION! Why should I type to you if it will cause an accident. I could be held liable for your negligence!

Ummm I think you did just type to him... Better get that checkbook handy, I think he just crashed checking your reply.

Assuming you would prefer not to pay 10k per gallon drained, does that mean there will be no fuel to drain? All the fuel was lost through the vent? Possible that is unusable fuel that came through the vent?

That is one determined one gallon of fuel to squeeze through that little hole (in your guessing) I am sure that my expert witness will calculate exactly how much fuel came out on the wing and all the rest.

Some people can't just get around the fact that Flight Design cares not if you live or die if they have to spend money to warn you of their design defect as they were ORDERED TO DO BY THE CAA but refused to do to American CTSW drivers.

Ummm I think you did just type to him... Better get that checkbook handy, I think he just crashed checking your reply.

Oh the children! There's been a horrible accident and it's all his fault! I think I shall sue him for....$10 million. But only so nobody else gets hurt by his negligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielabernath View Post
We shall travel to Redmond Oregon and I will pay you $10,000 for each gallon of fuel that we drain from the tank.
My guess

Exactly, guesses and speculation. Although there are 10 to 12 proven cases of fuel starvation caused by one tank being empty and up to 8 gallons in the other tank.

If they're proven, you ought to be able to count them "10 to 12" doesn't lound like "proven" to me.

If they're proven, you ought to be able to count them "10 to 12" doesn't lound like "proven" to me.
Read the complaint and stop talking before you have any ammo to shoot. www.aspecialdayguide.com/bernathresume.htm

OK, you children are boring me. I've been contacted by some real fuel system experts and that has made this exercise useful.
Good night ya'all.

FOUND IT!!!!! FOUND IT!!!!

Here's the video of the NTSB investigator speaking on the official cause of the crash.

Wait, you want me to fly to Oregon so you can pay me nothing? I'll have to pass on that offer.

U say no fuel. I say, therefore, I will pay you $10k for each gallon you drink from this allegedly empty starboard tank. You are so sure that there is no fuel, then what danger is there to you? Thats the point. Demonstrate to these other brave internet speakers that you are sure that the tanks have no fuel. "I'll drink any fuel in that tank because I know they are bone dry" should be your thrilling statement!

You said "drain" not drink. You can't prove a defect unless you can show how much fuel is in the tank, and you don't seem to be willing to say.

In post #22, you made a big deal about how your plane remained upright, describing your put down as an "off airport landing." With your normal "on airport landings," do you usually have "abundant" amounts of fuel get forced upward through the little hole you say is in the fuel cap?

I checked using the fuel tube guage and the fuel tin stick a few minutes earlier. The picture shows that fuel splashed all over the starboard wing through the little vent hole. Cap was on tight so that the port faced forward.

I will make a bet. We shall travel to Redmond Oregon and I will pay you $10,000 for each gallon of fuel that we drain from the tank. 503 367 4204 call me and I'll pick you up from the airport.

img4.jpg

Let's test your cojones; you provide me with the first class ticket and hotel accommodations and I'll reimburse you $10 for every ounce more than a gallon (unusable fuel) extracted in total. Just so you don't need to get a calculator, that's $1,280 per gallon (128 oz/gallon x $10). Cash on the barrel head.
It's put up or shut up time.

If you want read the complaint but avoid Mr. Bernath's web page which oddly combines the complaint with photos of himself, his 1978 press pass, etc., here's a PDF copy of the complaint alone as filed with the Court:

Clean PDF Copy of Bernath Compaint

It still looks like a kidnapper's ransom note, but it's much easier to read.

Thanks for pulling that. My eyes still hurt. Anyone in this room is now dumber for having read this drivel.

Are you or anyone else going to testify what the post accident inspection of the fuel tanks revealed? Or , is the picture of the fuel stains on the wing your only proof of ample fuel?

img4.jpg

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that the horizontal streaks that wash the dust off pass through the fuel "stains"(erasing the edges) that wash the dust off. This indicates that the fuel leakage occurred well before the horizontal streaks (which appear to be caused by dew/water).
Just an observation...
Oh Dan, BTW, by your own admission you had 2.5 gallons remaining (liberally 30 minutes) before you took off again, you violated the 30 minute rule the moment you swung the prop.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that the horizontal streaks that wash the dust off pass through the fuel "stains"(erasing the edges) that wash the dust off. This indicates that the fuel leakage occurred well before the horizontal streaks (which appear to be caused by dew/water).

Maybe the water was from Abby's tears, when he realized that he was going to have to come up with some kind of story to tell his wife (the legal owner of the plane).

Or maybe they're HER tears, when she realized that he had survived the crash and she was still stuck with him.

Thanks for pulling that. My eyes still hurt. Anyone in this room is now dumber for having read this drivel.

Interesting thing is, his filing actually confirms that he was in violation of 91.151, not only that, but he "bolded" the admission:

Page 14:
attachment.php

(Yellow highlight added by me, boldface in original)

Attachments

• admission.png
    admission.png
    238.8 KB · Views: 137
In case this hasn't been posted yet, here's a snapshot of the perpetrator of this lawsuit. Pretty impressive laundry-list of skullduggery he's indicted of in the attached link! Some 15 years later, it is revealed once again that a tiger can't change its stripes. . .

http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/docs/S44863.htm

Wow. From Tom's link:
Applicant must prove by clear and convincing evidence that he has the requisite good moral character to be admitted to the practice of law in Oregon. RFA 9.45(6); In re Rowell, 305 Or 584, 588, 754 P2d 905 (1988). That means that applicant must show that it is "highly probable" that he has good moral character. In re Monaco, 317 Or 366, 370 n 4, 856 P2d 311 (1993). Any significant doubts about applicant's character are resolved in favor of protecting the public by denying him admission. In re Jaffee, 319 Or 172, 177, 874 P2d 1299 (1994); In re Easton, 298 Or 365, 367-68, 692 P2d 592 (1984).

In its recommendation to this court, the Board identified the following findings of the three-member panel that the full Board believed demonstrated applicant's lack of good moral character and fitness to practice law in Oregon:

"(A) He disobeyed a court order to pay child support.

"(B) He was suspended for over a year in the State of California for failure to pay child support.

"(C) He failed to inform the Board that he was suspended from the practice of law in the State of California and he lied to the Board about his suspension in California, stating that he was not suspended when he was in fact suspended.

"(D) He loaned money to a client, Tamara Varner ('Varner'), and collected on the loan from settlement proceeds from Varner's lawsuit without Varner's knowledge or agreement.

"(E) He signed Varner's name to a release without Varner's knowledge and without advising the opposing party or counsel for the opposing party that he was signing the release on behalf of Varner. On that same release he signed as a witness, attesting to the authenticity of Varner's signature.

"(F) He lied by omission to the Board when he told it that he did not notarize the Varner settlement document.

"(G) He endorsed Varner's name to the settlement check without Varner's knowledge and without advising the bank that he was doing so.

"(H) He retained all of the proceeds of the settlement without Varner's knowledge or agreement.

"(I) He failed to respond to a notice from the Committee on Arbitration of the Los Angeles County Bar Association that Varner was disputing his fee and that there would be an arbitration of the dispute. He also failed to appear at the hearing.

"(J) He failed to advise the Board of the fee dispute or the award in favor of Varner and against him in the amount of $10,000.

"(K) He wrote a letter to Varner after entry of the award against him wherein he misrepresented the law and threatened to sue her if she did not agree to settle with him for $500.

"(L) He destroyed all of his files for all of the cases he handled in California.

"(M) A judgment was entered in California against him in the amount of $34,000 for malicious prosecution.

"(N) He lied by omission to the Board when in his application for admission he stated that the judgment for malicious prosecution was reversed, but did not state that it was reversed by stipulation of the parties rather than on the merits.

"(O) He failed to inform the Board about a lawsuit to which he was a party and which settled in applicant's favor for the amount of approximately $41,000.00.

"(P) On May 16, 1997, he issued subpoenas on which he holds himself out to be an attorney practicing in Oregon.

"(Q) Applicant failed to inform the Board about a lawsuit in which applicant was a plaintiff in an attorney fee dispute.

"(R) Applicant failed to inform the Board that a motion for sanctions was made against him for appearing at a deposition while carrying a concealed weapon and that a sanction was assessed against him in the amount of $750."

We need not address each of those specific allegations. As we explain below, we find that applicant failed to disclose to the Board his suspension by the California State Bar, and he made false representations to the Board regarding the Varner settlement agreement. Each of these acts, standing alone, would be a sufficient ground for denying his application to practice law in Oregon. Any further discussion of the remaining allegations against applicant would not benefit bench or bar.

We first discuss applicant's failure to disclose his suspension by the California State Bar. The status of an applicant's bar membership in another jurisdiction is material information required by the Board in making an evaluation of that applicant's character and fitness to practice law in Oregon. That information, along with a certificate of good standing, is required in the original application for admission to practice law. RFA 4.15(3).

Applicant was an active member of the California State Bar when he filed his application to practice law in Oregon. At some point after making his application, applicant voluntarily transferred to inactive status in California. On July 31, 1995, after that voluntary transfer to inactive status, applicant was suspended by the California State Bar for failing to pay child support. Applicant failed to disclose his suspension to the Board; the Board discovered it during its investigation of applicant's character and fitness. Applicant repeatedly denied that his California Bar status had changed until the Board produced documents demonstrating that the California State Bar had suspended him for failure to obey a court order to pay child support.

It is essential that every applicant to practice law in Oregon fully disclose to the Board all information relevant to the applicant's character and fitness. Failure to disclose relevant information fully and candidly is a ground for the Board to recommend denial of admission. RFA 6.05(3). It also forms a basis for this court to deny admission. In re Parker, 314 Or 143, 154-55, 838 P2d 54 (1992). Applicant was on notice of his obligation to disclose relevant information to the Board, both through the Rules for Admission of Attorneys and through the application itself, on which applicant acknowledged, by signature and under oath, his duty to disclose. Applicant's disclosure fell short of the degree of disclosure that he acknowledged to be required of him. Because it raises significant doubts about his good moral character, applicant's failure to disclose his suspension by the California State Bar constitutes a sufficient ground for denial of his application to practice law in Oregon. In re Monaco, 317 Or at 369-71; In re Parker, 314 Or at 154-55.

We turn to applicant's representation of Tamara Varner. Applicant represented Varner in a variety of legal matters while he was an active member of the California State Bar. The last matter in which he represented her was a personal injury auto accident case in which Varner was the plaintiff.

The attorney-client relationship between applicant and Varner was governed by a written fee agreement. Applicant destroyed the Varner fee agreement before he moved to Oregon. During the Board's character and fitness investigation, applicant produced a blank, computer-generated agreement that he claimed was identical to the agreement that Varner signed. That blank agreement included a power of attorney provision. Varner disputes applicant's assertion that the agreement that she signed contained a power of attorney provision. Varner further asserts that, if the agreement that she signed did include a power of attorney provision, applicant explained neither the meaning nor the effect of that provision to her.

The defendant's insurance carrier in Varner's auto accident case agreed to a settlement in the amount of $10,000. A release agreement was part of that settlement. The terms of that release agreement required Varner to acknowledge that she had "completely read" and "fully understood" it. By its terms, the release agreement also expressly stated that the release was essential and material to the settlement and that the settlement would not have been entered into by the defendant's insurance carrier without the release. Claiming that he acted on the authority of the power of attorney provision that he asserts was in the Varner fee agreement, applicant acknowledged that he signed Varner's name on the release agreement. Applicant also endorsed Varner's name on the settlement check. Applicant made no disclosure or indication, either on the release documents or orally, that he was signing the release on Varner's behalf. In addition, applicant signed his own name on the release attesting that he witnessed Varner sign that document.(2)

By signing the release agreement and the settlement check, applicant falsely represented to the defendant, the defendant's counsel, the defendant's insurance carrier, and the bank that negotiated the settlement check that Varner personally approved the settlement, endorsed the check, and released the defendant from all claims. Applicant's willingness to make such false representations demonstrates a lack of good moral character. See, e.g., In re Magar, 312 Or 139, 141, 817 P2d 289 (1991) (lawyer's unauthorized endorsement of client's name on draft made out to client constituted behavior involving dishonesty, deceit, or misrepresentation); see also In re Boothe, 303 Or 643, 651-52, 740 P2d 785 (1987) (lawyer's endorsement of client's name, without authorization, on a check on which lawyer and client were joint payees, constituted conduct involving dishonesty, deceit, or misrepresentation); In re Sassor, 299 Or 570, 576, 704 P2d 506 (1985) (lawyer's endorsement, without authorization, of payee's signature on a state property tax refund check and deposit of those funds in lawyer's trust account constituted conduct involving dishonesty, deceit, or misrepresentation). Applicant's testimony before the Board provided no convincing explanations for his misrepresentations in the course of the Varner litigation, and does nothing to resolve our significant doubts regarding applicant's moral character. Those doubts constitute sufficient grounds for denial of his application to practice law in Oregon. In re Monaco, 317 Or at 369-71; In re Parker, 314 Or at 154-55. See also In re Cheek, 246 Or 433, 425 P2d 763 (1967) (applicant who signed name of company president to two checks and lied about damages to a company automobile denied admission).

In a bar admission proceeding, this court's primary responsibility is to the public. Our charge is to assure that those who are admitted to the bar possess the ethical responsibility and the maturity of character necessary to enable them to withstand the many pressures and temptations that will confront them in the practice of law. The record contains overwhelming evidence that applicant does not possess that requisite good moral character and fitness to be a practicing attorney in Oregon. Applicant's brief to this court does little to resolve the doubts raised by the Board about his character. We conclude that applicant has failed to prove by clear and convincing evidence that he is a person of good moral character and fit to practice law in Oregon.

Admission denied.

I truly hope you don't get a red cent **if that occurs I will be happy that the NTSB has a discussion with Flight Design as to why they did not follow through on the CAA order to warn CTSW drivers as they did for the European pilots.

for your idiotic decision to take off without fueling after landing and confirming you were low on fuel **again, I was in full compliance with all laws and rules. The amount of fuel was adequate but the plane suffered fuel starvation because of the secret and deadly design defect**
but I know enough of our broken legal system that it's possible you could be enough of an annoyance to warrant a settlement. **I've had 3 lawyers read the complaint and they all say that it has merit**
It's evident to most of the experienced flyers on this board that your attitude puts you at risk of more incidents that put yourself and others in danger **that is incorrect. Please read the complaint instead of take the word of some of these posters before you speak www.aspecialdayguide.com/bernathresume.htm
BUT, I must compliment you on actually using your true name unlike these internet heros

Over 1000 people have read the complaint and less than one half of one percent have sqwaked on this board.
As a lawyer, i am used to people not understanding the law and falling for the insurance company propaganda of a "broken legal system." When you get injured or someone you loves gets injured by a product where the manufacturer knew of the defect but decided to not tell you for fear that they would have to spend money, then I believe your opinion about obtaining compensation from the manufacturer will change.

I certainly understand that, theoretically, there could be a condition of fuel starvation that would surprise a pilot without a notice in the POH, or some other form of communication.

In order to reach that conclusion in your case, I need to know: 1) exactly how much fuel (total fuel) remained in each tank after the accident occured, 2) how you reached that determination (was it drained and measured? Is that just based on reading the fuel guages on the dash? Was this based on a stick dip? What?) and 3) how much fuel is unusable.

I certainly understand that, theoretically, there could be a condition of fuel starvation that would surprise a pilot without a notice in the POH, or some other form of communication.

In order to reach that conclusion in your case, I need to know: 1) exactly how much fuel (total fuel) remained in each tank after the accident occured, 2) how you reached that determination (was it drained and measured? Is that just based on reading the fuel guages on the dash? Was this based on a stick dip? What?) and 3) how much fuel is unusable.

Didn't you read paragraphs 29 and 30 in his complaint? (sarcastic tone in jest)

See post #663 above.

The alleged facts are he departed with "abundantly more" fuel than required but, upon impact, "this abundant level of fuel splashed out." :rofl:

Abundancy abounds...

Wow. From Tom's link:

Let's not forget, he's happy to assault judges too

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/portland_elevator_tussle_clima.html

"His outbursts are unprovoked, explosive, and disproportionate to the proceedings," she wrote. "He appears to have difficulty gaining control once his emotions escalate, and the escalation is rapid."

Social Security now places a Federal Protective Service inspector or security guard in hearings attended by Bernath.

Weeks before, Social Security had served Bernath with papers notifying him of its intention to bar him as a claimant rep. Hyatt says the agency is considering more than 50 incidents of the lawyer's "assaultive, inappropriate and unethical behavior" over a two-year period, none of which included him.

Late last month, Bernath filed two notices that he intends to sue Social Security and Hyatt for the judge's actions. One claim seeks $2 million for coercion, alleging that Hyatt promised to recuse himself from hearing Bernath's cases if the lawyer removed references to him from his Web site. The other seeks $10 million in compensation for injuries and emotional distress he claims Hyatt inflicted on him.

The judge chuckled at this.

"I think we're just going to have to let justice run its course," he says. "I'm not going to go shielding my assets."

Wow...he seems to have a rather loose association with reality.

Didn't you read paragraphs 29 and 30 in his complaint? (sarcastic tone in jest)

See post #663 above.

The alleged facts are he departed with "abundantly more" fuel than required but, upon impact, "this abundant level of fuel splashed out." :rofl:

Abundancy abounds...

And in Paragraph 28 he admits to violating 14 CFR 91.151, and I would be shocked if a 14 CFR 91.13 weren't included in the violation.

My problem with the picture of the fuel cap is that those stains look just like the fuel stains when someone has overfilled the tanks. They look nothing at all like the remnants of fuel being forcibly expelled from up and out of a tiny vent hole, that would result in atomizing the fuel into a fine mist, thereby leaving virtually no trace behind on the wing.

My problem with the picture of the fuel cap is that those stains look just like the fuel stains when someone has overfilled the tanks. They look nothing at all like the remnants of fuel being forcibly expelled from up and out of a tiny vent hole, that would result in atomizing the fuel into a fine mist, thereby leaving virtually no trace behind on the wing.

It would be interesting to see a photo of the other wing.

My point exactly. And the fuel stain is definitely older than the other streaks.

Drink a nice scotch,(I don't drink. Bottle to throttle, going on 65 years)
dismiss your complaint, (sure, hand me a check)
be a man, (standing up for all you sheep-le is a manly thing)
and get back to enjoying life. (I'm having a great time.)

But I thought you were doing this for the good of all mankind, and that you wanted to be sure Flight Design had to placard all of the CTSW's?

Turns out it's just about getting undeservedly rich. Huh. (Shocking. :yikes:)

Just an observation...
Oh Dan, BTW, by your own admission you had 2.5 gallons remaining (liberally 30 minutes) before you took off again, you violated the 30 minute rule the moment you swung the prop.

What, in your expert opinion, does that indicate? www.aspecialdayguide.com/bernathresume.htm

ap·prox·i·mate·ly
əˈpräksəmətlē/Submit
adverb
used to show that something is almost, but not completely, accurate or exact; roughly.
"a journey of approximately two hours"
synonyms: roughly, about, around, circa, more or less, in the neighborhood of, in the region of, of/on the order of, something like, around/round about, give or take (a few);

Many of these replies are just plane silly. (get it, a pun).

No rule or regulation was violated. WHIPPET is 4 minutes from Sisters Eagle. Approximate means approxomite. Even if Flight Design's defect brought me down the amount of fuel in my tank had no bearing. Please recall that the same thing happened to a Flight Design CTSW driver with EIGHT gallons in his tank. I am tired of pizzing in the same hold for the lunatic fringe. Read the complaint. Explain how the driver with 8 gallons of fuel suffered fuel starvation. Was it because by adding 30 minutes to his final destination he was 1 minute short on fuel? Silly stuff and I will ignore the same comments and my repeating myself.
"Son, you're stuck on stupid."
stuckonstupid.jpg

Just an observation...

FWIW that is likely residue from previously spilled/overfilled fuel that collected dust. The streak the leads from the filler to the trailing edge of the wing in a fairly straight line, going OVER the other dust pattern of spilled fuel, would lead me to believe that the residue was from fuel that was spilled long before the accident.

example: tank was overfilled, the spillage evaporated, making the first residue pattern, plane was taken on a flight shortly after, the fuel that was puddled around the nooks and crannies of filler was then blown out towards the trailing edge, thus making the overlapping pattern.

The same thing can happen on cars if you overfill the tank, the oily residue that is left behind if you don't wipe up the spill will, assuming the car is reasonably clean, collect dust in the same fasion.

Nothing more than an educated assumption on my part though.

Last edited:
Explain to me how you were able to get airborne with 3.5 gallons in one tank and 0.00 gallons in the other? But you also claim that another plane crashed with 8.0 gallons in one tank and 0.00 in the other? Your experience contradicts that.

No rule or regulation was violated. WHIPPET is 4 minutes from Sisters Eagle. Approximate means approxomite.

14 CFR 91.151 does not use the word approximate.

Even if Flight Design's defect brought me down the amount of fuel in my tank had no bearing. Please recall that the same thing happened to a Flight Design CTSW driver with EIGHT gallons in his tank.

Which is hearsay cobbled together from some internet postings. And they can't put anything that isn't true on the internet, right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back