Last mile transportation

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I don't know if this has been posted yet, if so, my bad.

It looks like the new Honda Motocompacto just might be an appealing last mile option when you don't have access to crew or rental cars. Reasonable price, compact folded form factor, 42#, 12 miles on a charge, and recharges in 3.5hrs.

It's hideous... but for $1000, it's definitely interesting. 15 mph. Be nice if it had a bigger battery. No back up pedaling option like electric bicycles. Tires look like they'd be useless in grass. Is there any suspension? Looks like a rough ride. Form factor is pretty great for airplanes though. I always wanted an original Motocompo, but they have gotten a cult following and the prices are out of sight.

I always wanted an original Motocompo, but they have gotten a cult following and the prices are out of sight.

Ditto, as a moto head I always thought it would be cool to own the original car/bike set, but not at these prices!

Yes, the new one is ugly, and the small wheels/no suspension does limit functionality, but I'm still interested. If they don't sell, then in 20 years I'd be making big bucks on bringatrailer :rolleyes:

So it's basically a scooter with a seat? Think I'd actually rather ride the bumps standing up (on a scooter) than sitting down. Interesting though.

Besides being ugly, it has limited utility. Thinking of the airports I’ve visited over the past year or so, every one is on a road or highway with a speed limit >45mph, and it’s more than 6 miles to get anywhere I would want to go. If it runs out of juice, I can’t pedal it, so I see myself pushing it for the last mile.

No thanks.

When I was racing, one of these would have made a fair (not great) pit bike, but as an airplane bike? Not so much.

Electric kick scooter tires. Electric kick scooter frame. Electric kick scooter headset. Electric kick scooter speed. I think I'd rather just ride an electric kick scooter.

So it's basically a scooter with a seat?
My thought exactly...is it a scooter or bike? This is what they get for hiring a guy who previously designed debit cards.

a novelty that probably would not be on most pilots wish list.

Lots of electric scooter options out there. Anyone use those high speed ones? I always look at them and think wow you can get really badly banged up at 70kph falling off one of those.

I saw a guy on an electric scooter with a seat recently. Looked kinda like The Entity, but without the grace or comfort. If we're talking AMUs, I'd be looking at an Apollo.

Lots of electric scooter options out there. Anyone use those high speed ones? I always look at them and think wow you can get really badly banged up at 70kph falling off one of those.
Depends on how you define high speed. Here's 45kph:

Those one wheeled electric scooters are about as compact as you can get, but they look like a disaster waiting to happen.

Those one wheeled electric scooters are about as compact as you can get, but they look like a disaster waiting to happen.

They are if you don't take the time to learn and understand them...I just turned 50 and over 7000 miles logged on Onewheels and sill have all my teeth. Best last mile device out there IMO...you can toss it in the trunk of an Uber and carry it into a store or restaurant and the new GT model has close to a 30 mile range...plus you can pile a ton of them in the baggage compartment!

Biggest issue still with all these scooters and e-bikes is that you still have to deal with the device at your destination. A Onewheel you can just carry with one hand and keep with you.

They are if you don't take the time to learn and understand them...I just turned 50 and over 7000 miles logged on Onewheels and sill have all my teeth. Best last mile device out there IMO...you can toss it in the trunk of an Uber and carry it into a store or restaurant and the new GT model has close to a 30 mile range...plus you can pile a ton of them in the baggage compartment!

Biggest issue still with all these scooters and e-bikes is that you still have to deal with the device at your destination. A Onewheel you can just carry with one hand and keep with you.
I’ve only ever once had an issue getting the last mile. Sounds like a solution looking for a problem, kinda like the Segway. While it seems neat on paper, in practice I’m not so sure. Would taking a ride on one from downtown Greenville airport to downtown Greenville South Carolina be a good idea? How do they deal with actual automobile traffic that is common to most city airports? Half of the time, I would be scared to do that in a car. $1050 x 2 equals a lot of Uber rides.

Mark Patey's hip fracture killed my interest in One Wheels. His multiple ligament injuries were just icing on the cake.

I think it's pretty interesting. There's plenty of electric kick scooters out there that will outperform it for the money, but it's tough to beat the form factor. It should easily pass through a PA28 luggage door. Many electric kick scooters are still ~4 feet long when folded, and this thing is only 29".

Back