"Last Call" Advisory

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
What y'all think? Seems it has started out of nowhere and spread like wildfire. You transmit you're departing the pattern to the south for example, then you add "last call". Why?

My students mess with me about it. Basturds...

BTW this thread is @Ryanb's fault...

Last edited:
You transmit you're departing the pattern to the south for example, then you add "last call". Why?
I think it means, "If you try to call me, I won't answer. Neener neener. Leave a voicemail. And I'm probably not looking out the window either, so you losers are all on your own."

Or something like that.

While I never say "Any traffic in the area please advise" (unless I'm punking @SixPapaCharlie and it's his tail number), I usually say "departed [direction], last call" when there are others operating at the same field so they know I'm going off freq. if there's no one to hear it I don't bother with it.

What y'all think? Seems it has started out of nowhere and spread like wildfire. You transmit you're departing the pattern to the south for example, then you add "last call". Why?

My students mess with me about it. Basturds...

BTW this thread is @Ryanb's fault...

Quit takin students that read POA and other [insert first aviation blog, bulletin board or whatever ya call em] clones

While I never say "Any traffic in the area please advise" (unless I'm punking @SixPapaCharlie and it's his tail number), I usually say "departed [direction], last call" when there are others operating at the same field so they know I'm going off freq. if there's no one to hear it I don't bother with it.

But you already said you're departing, so the others know you be gone. Isn't that being redundant? Guess the old controller in me doesn't see the usefulness of useless calls. Unless you're punkng 6PC, totally get that.

image.gif

Last edited:
Quit takin students that read POA and other [insert first aviation blog, bulletin board or whatever ya call em] clones

Shetttt I don't tell them about this crazy place! They might figure out who I am on here.

Just checking that little old Pilot/Controller Glossary..............and Advisory Circular 90-42F.

Bob

My reasoning is the same as @Ravioli ’s. If I’m bouncing around in the pattern and communicating with others in the airport vicinity, than I’ll just say ‘last call’ before I change frequencies.

My thinking is that if someone just says they’re departing to the south, they could still be on frequency depending on what they’re doing. I don’t use it all the time, but it’s my way of letting others know “Hey I’m leaving the area and I’m changing frequencies so you won’t be able to chit chat with me anymore, laterz.” Maybe it isn’t all that necessary but it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling when I say it, so why not?

My reasoning is the same as @Ravioli ’s. If I’m bouncing around in the pattern and communicating with others in the airport vicinity, than I’ll just say ‘last call’ before I change frequencies.

My thinking is that if someone just says they’re departing to the south, they could still be on frequency depending on what they’re doing. I don’t use it all the time, but it’s my way of letting others know “Hey I’m leaving the area and I’m changing frequencies so you won’t be able to chit chat with me anymore, laterz.” Maybe it isn’t all that necessary but it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling when I say it, so why not?

But if you say you're departing the pattern doesn't that inform others you're out of their hair? Watch out for those warm and fuzzy feelings, get you in troubleeeeee!

Last edited:
I’m gonna start saying “last call, no longer ‘with you’ “
As long as you are not communicating anything useful, might as well be redundant about it :D

@mscard88, I think it's one of those that started on YouTube and got picked up. If, as a Class D controller, you like that "outside your airspace" final call to the Tower, you'll like this one as well.

What's the matter with "departing the pattern to the south" and then saying nothing else?

'Last call' better involve some beer.

Redundant redundancy.

But you already said you're departing, so the others know you be gone. Isn't that being redundant? Guess the old controller in me doesn't see the usefulness of useless calls. Unless you're plunking 6PC, totally get that.

View attachment 64276

Saying you are departing is not the same as being on frequency if someone wants to talk to you. Didn't we used to tell the tower we were switching frequency?
"Last call" isn't as precise as "switching frequency", but, whatever.
I hear this most often at small non-towered airports. Often, someone will call you after you take off and ask "How is it?" or something of similar ilk, to determine if they want to be bothered going up.
It's helpful in places where the ground is not flat. The airport could be perfectly calm, but as soon as you clear the property the ride might get very uncomfortable, or as we say "it's sporty".
Just an observation from a guy who spends most of his time in the Berkshires, Catskills and Adirondacks.

Saying you are departing is not the same as being on frequency if someone wants to talk to you. Didn't we used to tell the tower we were switching frequency?
I hear this most often at small non-towered airports. Often, someone will call you after you take off and ask "How is it?" or something of similar ilk, to determine if they want to be bothered going up.
It's helpful in places where the ground is not flat. The airport could be perfectly calm, but as soon as you clear the property the ride might get very uncomfortable, or as we say "it's sporty".
Just an observation from a guy who spends most of his time in the Berkshires, Catskills and Adirondacks.

But.... if they say departing to the (direction) then you "assume" they are no longer on the frequency.

Last edited:
But if you say you're departing the pattern doesn't that inform others you're out of their hair? Watch out for those warm and fuzzy feelings, get you in troubleeeeee!
Hey don’t blame me, blame the instructor that got me started on it. Peer pressure made me do it!

In all reality, as I said, it probably has zero usefulness but I also don’t see that it’s killed anyone yet either. ;)

"Switching frequencies" is not a standard or desired call either. The busy tower where I used to fly sometimes berated pilots for saying it.

But whatever. If it feels good, go ahead. It's harmless.

What's the matter with "departing the pattern to the south" and then saying nothing else?

"departing the pattern to the south" is 6 words.
"departed south. last call" is 4.

How's that work in the frequency constipation camp?

I'm not sure what "departed south" tells me as another pilot in the pattern since you already left. "Departing south" is only two and I think says more.

The truth is, there have always been people using nonstandard forms, some out of habit; some who think it's cool; others who think they have value. I still recall a guy in a "with you" discussion insisting it was a "warm and fuzzy greeting." I suggested he try it in a biker bar.

If you think the nonstandard "last call" means something, go ahead. But if you want to argue argue it has value and should be a nontowered airport staple, I'll disagree with you.

Don’t use last call or ATITPA and don’t report another aircraft on final in sight while I’m on downwind. Bare minimum works fine.

I never say it. early on my instructor would poke fun of phrases like that. "last call", ohhh nooo, I was going to tell them they forgot their wallet but it was their last call. darn.

I never say it. early on my instructor would poke fun of phrases like that. "last call", ohhh nooo, I was going to tell them they forgot their wallet but it was their last call. darn.

Say ‘with you’ next time you check in on a frequency after getting switched from another controller. Let us know what his punchline is for that one

Say ‘with you’ next time you check in on a frequency after getting switched from another controller. Let us know what his punchline is for that one

I don't remember what he would say to that one (he probably just yelled if I did), but I know he didn't like that one either. I don't use that phrase lol.

I typically just say “adios, au revoir, auf wiedersehen, sayonara, bye-bye”. Either that or “I’m outta here a-holes”. Basically each situation is different.

While not a pilot, and not *directly* responding to the thread topic, I'm goig to throw my two cents worth on he floor . . .
As a former public safety dispatcher, long-time radio hobbiest (is that a word), and current avionics student, I'm weighing in from the "how can I contact you if that were to become necessary?" position - that was alluded to earlier in the thread.
I understand the frustration with unnecessary radio clutter. Sometimes a simple, "10-4" is all that's needed, not a ten-second read-back. On the other hand, if you switch off dispatch, then run into problems, who will hear you if no one knows where to be listening. I digress . . . back to aviation . . . At a towered field, read-backs are not only helpful, they are expected. When the controller says, "Contact departure on 126.6," they expect the pilot to respond with, "126.6," and then go there. Unless the frequency is entered wrong, or the <--> button isn't pressed, the pilot's next radio transmission will be on 126.6 MHz.
Why does that matter? Let me offer a hypothetical:
Pilot takes off from Dirtroad Airpark, using 122.8MHz, the CTAF. Conditions are IFR or Marginal VFR. Somewhere out there, he experiences a problem that forces him (or her) to get back on the ground quickly. Rules are: Aviate . . . Navigate . . . THEN Communicate. If the pilot manages to get to the third one, chances are it will be just push the little red button and say, "Here I come, Dirtroad . . ." even if he/she switched to a different frequency.
When should the next departing pilot "assume" that the first pilot has switched frequencies, and know where to listen for someone with a problem who may try to occupy the same point in space, at the same time, ESPECIALLY if the departing pilot can't SEE the aircraft with a problem?
The Common Traffic Advisory Frequency is only effective when the pilot is able to dial it in. Otherwise, where are you?
OK, that was more than two cents worth . . .

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

I will admit to only having a couple seasons of flying in the Adirondacks, but no one says “last call” anywhere in the Adirondacks. Most don’t use radios at all. ;)

Airport pattern and airspace are not always the same thing. Departing to the south requires departing the pattern and airspace. Departing the pattern does not require departing the vicinity.

The six that you should use plus the four that are a waste of time add up to ten.

Although so many people mis-identify their location on the radio that at least I'd have a good idea of where you aren't...south of the pattern somewhere. :eek:

I don't use last call but I don't mind. I fly in an area where theres 5-6 airports all within 10 miles of each other. Typically people make position reports on one freq (theres usually 7-8 of us in the same 5 mile area practicing) So sometimes you'll hear "kxxx traffic skyhawk123 over the bay 1500 S/E bound back to Kxxy last call".
Lets me know where he is and that I wont be able to coordinate staying out of his way with him. I'd much rather people give too much info than not enough.

Not mine, but my favorite story about this phrase...

==============================

I stopped saying "with you" cold turkey (it had slipped into my pilot speak) when I heard Philly Approach talking to a GA pilot late one night.

Cessna 123: "Philly Approach, Cessna 123 with you, two thousand five hundred over Woodstown, Mike".

Philly: "Cessna 123, Uniform is NOT the current information, squawk three zero three one and my name's Mike too how do you do."

(there was a stunned silence as the Cessna tried to figure it all out)

Cessna 123: "Ah Philly, I didn't say Uniform. Um, I have the current information - what was that squawk?"

Philly: "Actually Cessna 123, you did tell me you had Uniform - I have it on tape - the word 'with' precedes the ATIS information code - you want to try again".

(More silence and then maybe a realization)

Cessna 123: "OK Philly, Cessna 123 with...shoot...over Woodstown with information Mike".

Philly: (Emphatic) "Good Evening Cessna 123! I see you over Woodstown, two thousand three hundred and Mike is current, squawk three zero three one and say intentions".

Not mine, but my favorite story about this phrase...

==============================

I stopped saying "with you" cold turkey (it had slipped into my pilot speak) when I heard Philly Approach talking to a GA pilot late one night.

Cessna 123: "Philly Approach, Cessna 123 with you, two thousand five hundred over Woodstown, Mike".

Philly: "Cessna 123, Uniform is NOT the current information, squawk three zero three one and my name's Mike too how do you do."

(there was a stunned silence as the Cessna tried to figure it all out)

Cessna 123: "Ah Philly, I didn't say Uniform. Um, I have the current information - what was that squawk?"

Philly: "Actually Cessna 123, you did tell me you had Uniform - I have it on tape - the word 'with' precedes the ATIS information code - you want to try again".

(More silence and then maybe a realization)

Cessna 123: "OK Philly, Cessna 123 with...shoot...over Woodstown with information Mike".

Philly: (Emphatic) "Good Evening Cessna 123! I see you over Woodstown, two thousand three hundred and Mike is current, squawk three zero three one and say intentions".

That's about as infuriating as the female tower controller in CLT. God help you if you don't read the runway back in your taxi instructions. 90% of us landing on 36L/18R will just say "November short of the center." You might as well have said, "F YOU to her." There is literally NOWHERE else you can go but short of 18C. Help you also if you call up at Spot 9, E12, going to 18C and you don't say "taxi E 18C" she'll keep asking in increasing annoyance until you do.

She's almost as bad as Parking Patty who's a horrible ramp controller. I have heard Atlanta Center making comments about her when she once ground stopped the entire airport after getting two 73s nose to nose on the ramp. She held everyone clear of the ramp, and every bit of asphalt was used up to the point ATC started holding guys on a clear day.

That's about as infuriating as the female tower controller in CLT. God help you if you don't read the runway back in your taxi instructions. 90% of us landing on 36L/18R will just say "November short of the center." You might as well have said, "F YOU to her." There is literally NOWHERE else you can go but short of 18C. Help you also if you call up at Spot 9, E12, going to 18C and you don't say "taxi E 18C" she'll keep asking in increasing annoyance until you do.

She's almost as bad as Parking Patty who's a horrible ramp controller. I have heard Atlanta Center making comments about her when she once ground stopped the entire airport after getting two 73s nose to nose on the ramp. She held everyone clear of the ramp, and every bit of asphalt was used up to the point ATC started holding guys on a clear day.

In the CLT cntroller's defense, it's required for one thing to read back specific runway/holding points, and they want it on tape for CYA if something happens.

The ramp controller, yeah, some of them think they're ATC and they're not. Dealt with them for 24 years at ATL, most good but a couple PITA ones too.

The ramp controller, yeah, some of them think they're ATC and they're not. Dealt with them for 24 years at ATL, most good but a couple PITA ones too.

A lot of mainline guys don't even call up if they're parking at B. You'll often get a "Hold Short of the Ramp" call even with tumbleweeds blowing across. I've sat behind a mainline guy waiting for his gate with the entire ramp empty and been told to stay in sequence. I laugh everytime AA wonders why their CLT numbers are horrible.

My first airline had a Southwest culture of fly and taxt fast. So it always me nuts sitting on the ramp for extended periods of time for no obvious reason.

. So it always me nuts sitting on the ramp for extended periods of time for no obvious reason.

I always figured we're paid by the minute so it didn't bother me much. Unless...it was the "going home" leg. Then I'd be po'd, especially if I missed a flight home.

Last edited:
Back