Landing in a field

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
after my flight yesterday to determine the glide polar for my glider I landed in the field behind Matt Michael's house. Heres the video:

Change the blade in your razor!!!

Cool Video though!!!

How do you actually do the polar? It thought it was something that was provided with the AC documentation?

Tod o it are you flying speeds and determining ground covered distance and just plotting that?

i flew at various airspeeds from 35 to 75 mph indicated. then i timed the altitude lost in 1 minute. so now i can plot descent rate vs. airspeed, and that should give me a good stab at the polar.

the only data i have is a theoretical polar provided by the designer, and my glider has some slight differences that may make a difference. like a smoother wing surface, and a slightly longer span.

in the logbooks for the glider there is an entry that says something like 'glide tests, great than 25:1' but no other information can be found. not very useful.

Change the blade in your razor!!!

Cool Video though!!!

How do you actually do the polar? It thought it was something that was provided with the AC documentation?

Tod o it are you flying speeds and determining ground covered distance and just plotting that?

i flew at various airspeeds from 35 to 75 mph indicated. then i timed the altitude lost in 1 minute. so now i can plot descent rate vs. airspeed, and that should give me a good stab at the polar.

the only data i have is a theoretical polar provided by the designer, and my glider has some slight differences that may make a difference. like a smoother wing surface, and a slightly longer span.

in the logbooks for the glider there is an entry that says something like 'glide tests, great than 25:1' but no other information can be found. not very useful.
So it would not matter then if you are in calm air or with air that has a headwind or tailwind, as long as it is steady it should work. I was jsut reading about polars last night so that is why I am curious.

the air needs to be vertically calm of course, but head or tailwind does not matter. yesterday was a perfect day of absolutely dead calm wind in all directions. not a single bump from the surface to at least 6000 msl

That's cool! I'm glad the video turned out well. That's one heckuva good camera. And the price is just right for it. ;) Did any of the still shots turn out?

Gives a new meeting to "sure I'll stop by, I'll be right over".

You glider guys out there are having to much fun. :cornut:

Soooo quiet!

yea my glider is sealed pretty well, although it was (relatively) loud on the approach, i had the speed up to a screaming 70 mph for a while!

ive often heard trains, car horns, and other airplanes.

Cool video!

I can picture Tony after landing his glider. He is outstanding in his field.

Actually, Chris Jones and Rachel had the pepperoni. Tony had sausage and mushroom. Lois and I had chicken alfredo.

I have talked recently with the farmer about renting a strip and putting it in hay so I can have my own personal runway. Hadn't considered fees but it would help with the upkeep.

Neat video. I was watching the yaw string, hmmm. :D

Awesome video, Tony.

I agree with Rob, y'all are out having too much fun. Sometime when I come visit you'll have to take me up and learn me how to glider. ;)

Add spaces to your name TED!!!

That is more annoying than what Jesse has for a signature!

This from the man who brought us such avatars as "EyeFly". :D

I was wondering how long before someone noticed. ;)

Tony,
Nice video, I had to watch it after MM told me about it! I will have to get a copy to show my coworkers, the whole bean field landing will throw them for a loop.

Hey Pete, i checked to see if you were in flash chat but no luck.

Nice (COOL!) video, Tony! Looked like you were headed right for those trees!

Ever hit any ("OUCH!!") bumps while landing out?

Nice (COOL!) video, Tony! Looked like you were headed right for those trees!

Ever hit any ("OUCH!!") bumps while landing out?

Have you ever noticed how much more pronounced the bumps appear from the on-board camera? Even after you made a greaser of a landing?Well, that's my story anway, and I'm sticking to it.

ive had a few rough off airport landings, but nothing worse than a little torn fabric which is easy to replace.

Those trees he was heading for are MY HOUSE!

No way! A 66 Beetle. Later, when I could afford a camper van I hated it. It was way too big. You actually had to get out of bed to cook, clean, or even adjust the radio. Pain in the ass and no fun in cross-winds.

Green, IIRC. Carl Z's "hippie friend" in the mid-80s.

Green it was... I started flying with the club in 87 so late 80s actually. Cut my hair in 88 but never showed up at the airport without it at least in a pony tail under my hat. I wasn't stupid!

Even after I'd cut my hair, raised kids, owned my own house, became a CFIG and established some soaring records Carl still considered me a hippie!

MM

We must've overlapped by only a little...I went to school down there from the fall of '85 through the spring of '87. Apparently you made an impression ;)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....sorry Tony.

Fly safe!

David

MM, I need to hear more about this in Marfa, I feel like I am just starting to get a glimpse of a whacky portion of your life.

We must've overlapped by only a little...I went to school down there from the fall of '85 through the spring of '87. Apparently you made an impression ;)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....sorry Tony.

Fly safe!

David

Screw tonys thread... (sorry man)

Yea we overlapped. I bet I'd recognize you from photos of that time. Maybe you are the guy who gave me my first glider ride (2-33 fall of 86)

Yea, I made an impression on Carl. In his final couple years we weren't on speaking terms sadly.

MM, I need to hear more about this in Marfa, I feel like I am just starting to get a glimpse of a whacky portion of your life.

It was an interesting time but not worth much more than a glimpse. Compared to the stories you tell I was Elenore Rigby's paper boy. What we got going on NOW is much more important and fun!

Back